Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton 1KC - 1000km in one day

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Rider Register lists more riders departing from Hamilton than Wellywood this year I never thought I would see the day this happened........
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    ES XTZ
    I see theres a similar ride for the South Islanders...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails download-1505035577201.pdf  

Bike
    he's back !!!
    [QUOTE=mulletman;1131063756]I see theres a similar ride for the South Islanders....

Similar, except we need to stop at checkpoints & take photos & the route is pretty much predetermined because of these but either ride is going to be AWESOME!!!!!
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    I see theres a similar ride for the South Islanders...
    The Christchurch and Nelson Ulysses have been doing this ride for quite a few years.

Bike
    A
    For this year it looks like we have 8 photo stops

Then for me add at least 4 fuel stops

Might have to run in reverse order to avoid the crowd starting from Hamilton departure point as well

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    For this year it looks like we have 8 photo stops

Then for me add at least 4 fuel stops

Might have to run in reverse order to avoid the crowd starting from Hamilton departure point as well
    You don't have this on your own.
    I like the direction selected as last year's navigation through Hamilton was torture

Going to do a paper GPS
    Layout as the GPS seems to go into power sleep mode when you most want it.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    You don't have this on your own.
    I like the direction selected as last year's navigation through Hamilton was torture

Going to do a paper GPS
    Layout as the GPS seems to go into power sleep mode when you most want it.
    Yeah I know we've all gotta do the same stops. Just 8 stops is a bit much, will have to wind Topher up when I check in haha...

Oh and we need to have a secret KB wave

Bike
    Niken, Hypermotard, ST1100, F650, Evoke
    I checked out the 10 day forecast for Hamilton, Wanganui, Napier and it's looking a bit shit.

Not keen on riding in the rain for this event, it's already pushing my talents to the limit without adding rain in for added excitement.

I understand there are 50 riders registered for the Hamilton start.

If by some miracle the sun breaks out, is there anyone else riding alone that wants a riding buddy for the day ? It's going to be about a 13 hour trip for me.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro2018 View Post
    I checked out the 10 day forecast for Hamilton, Wanganui, Napier and it's looking a bit shit.

Not keen on riding in the rain for this event, it's already pushing my talents to the limit without adding rain in for added excitement.
    It's only Monday, so seeing as the forecast has been "evolving" over past day or two, best not to start sweating this far out from the day. You can always pull the pin on the day...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Yeah I know we've all gotta do the same stops. Just 8 stops is a bit much, will have to wind Topher up when I check in haha...

Oh and we need to have a secret KB wave
    something like this or , ok I deserve

I understand there are 50 riders registered for the Hamilton start.

If by some miracle the sun breaks out, is there anyone else riding alone that wants a riding buddy for the day ? It's going to be about a 13 hour trip for me.
    Well, I wouldn't mind a riding buddy but your too fast for me.
    I am looking at about a 15 hr. About 1/2 of it I haven't done B4.
    Gunna stop at Reporoa again this year for a triple ice-cream for lunch - so nice in the sun it was, then looking to the west and seeing the storm approaching last year was awesome.
    but I am used to the rain after the NI800 this year

It's only Monday, so seeing as the forecast has been "evolving" over past day or two, best not to start sweating this far out from the day. You can always pull the pin on the day...
    yeah unless its very gusty, I isn't going to stop for nada. One of the few days I get to ride all year, for more than an hour or so.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    something like this or , ok I deserve

Well, I wouldn't mind a riding buddy but your too fast for me.
    I am looking at about a 15 hr. About 1/2 of it I haven't done B4.
    Don't know where you got the idea from that I'm fast.
    If my trip goes to perfectly to plan, I'll be pulling into the end point at 8:40pm, expecting to leave at 6:30am, so that's over 14 hours by my maths.
    No doubt something will go wrong (rain) which will slow me down to 15 hours.

I've got no more time left for bike prep.

Left home at 5am today to fly to Sydney, back home about 8pm Fri.
    Hope to quickly open the mail and see if one piece rain coat has arrived from Aliexpress then off to bed. Bike is parked in the garage waiting to be ridden out the door at 6am on Sat morning, subject to weather.

Are you planning to ride down on Sat morning from Auck ?

Bike
    Just thinking about this, if one of us is a bit slower than the other then we can gain some time at the checkpoints. Whoever arrives first sets up for the photo and the slower rider just rides in, poses for photo then rides off. No mucking around getting two cameras out.

I'm carrying about 8 litres of extra fuel, emergency tyre inflater, stuff like that. Might be handy.

Also, I should have a GPS speedo running, so on the open parts we can stay as close to 108 kph as possible (or whatever arbitrary speed limit the police have running that day).

Just thinking about that, are the police likely to be aware of this event and make an effort to target us with some carefully placed speed traps ?

Bike
    Weather outlook seems to be improving (he says desperately trying to talk himself into believing the weather is improving)

Bike
    A
    Just thinking about this, if one of us is a bit slower than the other then we can gain some time at the checkpoints. Whoever arrives first sets up for the photo and the slower rider just rides in, poses for photo then rides off. No mucking around getting two cameras out.

I'm carrying about 8 litres of extra fuel, emergency tyre inflater, stuff like that. Might be handy.

Also, I should have a GPS speedo running, so on the open parts we can stay as close to 108 kph as possible (or whatever arbitrary speed limit the police have running that day).

Just thinking about that, are the police likely to be aware of this event and make an effort to target us with some carefully placed speed traps ?
    Weather outlook seems to be improving (he says desperately trying to talk himself into believing the weather is improving)
    Not sure if you've done one of these before, so forgive me for being a mite direct. By all means carry your tyre repair kit and stuff like that. As long as you can run around 200 km on a tank don't bother carting fuel, plenty of fuel along the way, we're not in outback Oz aye...

The boys in blue will be aware, enough of 'em on this forum, but they've got enough to worry about as it is. A bunch of riders going for a spin won't bother them, as long as we more or less behave. Heck, I spooled off around 700 km today, you know just as a warm-up for Saturday, and apart from an hour or two in varying degrees of dampness it was sweet as.

The weather forecast for Saturday is actually improving, but regardless of that, bank on copping some heavenly precipitation along the way no matter what the weatherman says...the joys of living on an island.

Your photo stop idea makes sense, except you'll find the quick hop off to stretch and limber up some is actually welcome in the second half of the day

If you see a yellow Busa, come and say gidday, us IAM chaps don't bite. There'll be at least four of us tackling this one.

Bike
    Haven't done one before, so all suggestions are welcome.

I thought my fuel range was 200km, but I'm concerned adding big panniers has cut it down a bit. Just haven't had time to retest the actual range, don't want to risk a mistake.
    Besides, if I'm carrying spare fuel I might be able to help someone else.

I can tolerate occasional showers, but won't be keen on heavy rain.

Thread Information