Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hard is a Honda CRF-R to kick over?

Bike
    2006 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

How hard is a Honda CRF-R to kick over?

I am an older female rider (Mum of teenagers). I ride a Kawasaki Super Sherpa, which I love, however I am finding I have a burning need to experience the joys of an actual dirt bike before I feel I am past the age for it. We have a KDX200 which I tried riding but am quite limited by the fact I cannot reach the ground so can only come to a stop where my husband can 'catch' the bike. And, of course it is too high for me to kick over. I have tried, without success, to convince him to put a lowering link on it. And so I am trying to persuade him that our younger son's next bike ought to be a Honda CRF-R, (which he would only get to ride when I am done with it.) My husband is shaking his head to this idea too, saying it will be too hard for me to kick over? What is your experience with this? We used to have a xlr125 which I kicked over without much trouble. I rarely stall these days so would restarting the bike be an issue other than when I can off? Thanks.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    I am an older female rider (Mum of teenagers). I ride a Kawasaki Super Sherpa, which I love, however I am finding I have a burning need to experience the joys of an actual dirt bike before I feel I am past the age for it. We have a KDX200 which I tried riding but am quite limited by the fact I cannot reach the ground so can only come to a stop where my husband can 'catch' the bike. And, of course it is too high for me to kick over. I have tried, without success, to convince him to put a lowering link on it. And so I am trying to persuade him that our younger son's next bike ought to be a Honda CRF-R, (which he would only get to ride when I am done with it.) My husband is shaking his head to this idea too, saying it will be too hard for me to kick over? What is your experience with this? We used to have a xlr125 which I kicked over without much trouble. I rarely stall these days so would restarting the bike be an issue other than when I can off? Thanks.
    it's like saying how long is a peice of string?
    go to a bike shop and try one, only you can be the judge in reality.
    BTW the answer to the top line is that it depends on the brand of tampon....

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Brilliant! "My husband is making it difficult for me to get another bike". Whoda thunk it?

No idea what a CRF is like to kick over but anything can be a pain in the ass if you're struggling to find solid footing in nasty terrain.

Have you thought of the smaller bikes like the KTM Free ride or Beta X trainer? Pretty sure they are button start, too. The Beta X trainer looks particularly useful. 2 t's are generally easier to start than 4t's, seem harder to stall and don't have a tanty when they get hot.

As posted, get yourself into a dealers and do some kicking.

All power to your right leg!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Shit that's a fabulous idea. Freeride is a fun bike and would be easy to handle.

Get an old school Taba. . . Um. . Shoe repair guy, to add a 2nd sole to your boots. Another cm will pay dividends.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2012 Honda CRF250X- 2014 Honda CRF250R
    My wife rides a CRF150 R (big wheel)
    This is her 2nd dirt bike, she loves it, easy to kick, and only being 84kgs full of gas she finds it's really good/esay/fun to handle in the corners, mud, hills etc.
    It starts very easy cold or when warmed up, but... after a crash/drop it floods and can be a PITA to start, best to let it stand for five and then try, to take that issue away I installed a rekluse clutch in it.
    This little bike will rip but will also lug and not stall if you get it all wrong with the rekluse installed, best thing I every did for her riding fun.

I ride a 250R which is to tall and too hard for her to kick.

As for age, our daughter is 20, so will be in the same ball park as you,
    Our daughter rides as well, but is taller and can kick the 250.

Bike
    I enjoyed receiving your comments, thank you. It's amazing, all the suggestions about getting a Freeride or a Beta X trainer, along with the thumbs up for the CRF150R, have brought about an amazing turn-around in my husband's thinking about the budget option of putting a lowering link on the KDX. Ha ha. I took the KDX for another spin today and was determined to prove myself even though I could only just reach the ground with the very tippy toes of one foot. I managed to get the hang of bringing it to a stop all by myself, and from there, there was no stopping me. Well, apart from when I tried to go through a narrow gate and had the revs too low and it stalled and I fell into a cable fence and got my leg trapped and me and my younger son had to quickly remedy the situation before my husband emerged from the trail he was riding to see the spot of bother I had got myself into. Ha ha - good times. He is now sounding a lot more open to the idea of putting on a lowering link. And yes, I will look into the suggestion about adding to the sole on my boots. Thanks all.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Well the kdx are a great bike.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Well the kdx are a great bike.
    Yes a total blast

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    KDX's are very easy to lower, and not that expensive, you do not have to buy a new ling, there are dogbone links on teh outside, that you can easily make longer out of mild steel to make the KDX lower,

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    KDX's are very easy to lower, and not that expensive, you do not have to buy a new ling, there are dogbone links on teh outside, that you can easily make longer out of mild steel to make the KDX lower,
    Yup, the G/F's DT is footable for the shorter inner leg. Just dog bones, dropped fork yokes and slightly softer suspender settings. Probably done in an hour.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    I have a DRZ250 and while I was getting the shock serviced and revalved, I got it shortened internally. I dropped the clamps through the forks 15mm. For me, huge improvement. Best mod I have had done.

Bike
    Thanks for your thoughts on lowering the KDX. I am passing the info on to my husband. Excited to think I will get to realise my wish to ride a dirt bike.

Just got one question about lowering bikes, about which I know nothing. Is there a way of lowering it that can be reversed without too much difficulty if my husband wants to take the KDX out for the day. I am 5 ft 4 and he is 6 ft 2. Cheers!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Yeah.

Tell him to buy his own bike and leave yours alone.

Followed up by the tried and tested:
    Honey I told you. What's yours is mine, and what's mine is sodden well mine. Now run along.

Bike
    Yeah.

Followed up by the tried and tested:
    Honey I told you. What's yours is mine, and what's mine is sodden well mine. Now run along.

Ha ha! Laugh out loud funny. You guys have been great in helping bring my husband round to the idea of letting me get my hands on his dirt bike. I know if I don't make the most of this window before I am too old, I will have regrets. Helping my husband to see reason is the fact our older son has always found the KDX a bit high for him and the young fella too won't have quite so much growing to do before he can take a ticket and stand in line.

Ladies first!

As for the old boy, I have sweetened him up by suggesting the money saved can be put towards upgrading his dual purpose when we can afford it. Not that we have saved anything as he was not gonna get me a dirt bike in the first place. But it worked!

Bike
    A
    Yeah.

I'd go along with the above, adopt THE LOOK before you calmly tell him to get his own bike...

Thread Information