Thread: 2005 Suzuki GN250 E dragging front brake (badly)

Bike
    2000, Suzuki GSF 250V

Question 2005 Suzuki GN250 E dragging front brake (badly)

My friends bike, had been sitting for around a year, he finally got alternator and I replaced it for him, works like a beauty.

However, the front brake is dragging badly, at some time in the past I believe we may have removed the front brake caliper/front wheel, when we tried the last alternator we got (slightly too large, from older gn250) i remember the brake lever not being stiff like it is now, had to break the master cylinder banjo bolt to rotate it so we could get brake lever/cylinder to fit (previously had clipons and were reverting to normal handlebars).

That was 6 months ago, today when we fitted the new alternator, the front brake is dragging quite badly, and the lever is quite stiff, not squishy at all, very little travel distance.

Ideally we wanna get it all going tomorrow, and going out to buy stuff isn't an issue, but is it as simple as, taking the caliper off, pushing the piston in and putting em back on, I have also read that just cracking the bleeder valve can release the pressure, but it also could be that the piston has rusted/gotten dirty and is bound as a result, as it has been like 6 months since we last tried to fit the alternator and he left it outside (under a roof).

Hoping that based on this info some of you guys can point us in the right direction of what to do, this would be my first time dealing with brake stuff so if you an idea make sure to give the steps (don't have to be too layman).

(or if anyone's in north shore and willing to help on a friday hit us up!)

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    If it's been sitting then the piston in the caliper could be seized.

Strip it down, give the piston a light sand with 1200 grit to clean it. Assemble it with a tiny smear of rubber grease. New fluid. Robert's your mother's brother.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by harleydaun View Post
    (or if anyone's in north shore and willing to help on a friday hit us up!)
    have you got all the tools? (an air compressor, too)

and drugs?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    With normal brake pad wear and a low brake fluid level 6 months ago ... it's possible the piston has gone past the point of return (ie: past the seal)

As per Drew stated ... strip and check/clean ... and replace the fluids with new.

Your friends life depends on it.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    +1 to the above. Brake dust loves to trap water and then corrode things underneath.

Bike
    2000, Suzuki GSF 250V
    Rebuilt the calliper, working wonderfully now, the brakes feel a bit weak which I think is cos I might have got a tiny bit of oil on the pads so replacing that. Lever pressure and the piston retraction is good. The piston was a bit rusted and the seals had lots of crap behind them all is good now and just like Drew said I had a new uncle! Now just gotta redo the stator cover gasket cos oops. Screw went a little too far for holding on the chain guard

Thread Information