Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why wont the bike start after washing it?

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville 208

Why wont the bike start after washing it?

Hey there.

I just washed my Triumph Bonneville by hand, using a bucket of water and a cloth. No hosing involved. I rode it out of the garage no problems. Now, after washing, I cant turn it over. All the electrics start up, both lights on the speedo come on, I get that whirring sound, I push the starter button and...nothing!

Really annoying. I've had the bike since new in 2008 and never had this problem. I don't service the bike myself as I've no idea how to apart from basic pre ride check! The battery is about 3 months old by the way.

So... what have I done wrong? And how do I make it right?

Cheers in advance.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    in neutral and off the stand?

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    You've got moisture in one of the safety interlocks, either the clutch, sidestand or neutral

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    You have bumped the kill switch............

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    You have bumped the kill switch............
    This one.

Occam's Razor and all.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Did you wash it too quick? sometimes when wash a bike too quick it feels under pressure to keep up and......ah never mind.

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville 208
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Did you wash it too quick? sometimes when wash a bike too quick it feels under pressure to keep up and......ah never mind.
    Na. Not the kill switch. I did flick it just to make sure, and of course all the electrics went out - lights etc, so not that.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    If you were getting into things with a rag whilst washing it you could have inadvertently pulled wire on one of the interlocks or partially disconnected one too if it isn't a moisture issue.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by strumpet View Post
    Na. Not the kill switch. I did flick it just to make sure, and of course all the electrics went out - lights etc, so not that.
    Is that typical? All of my bikes kill switches just cut the spark. Everything else still works.

But yeah, worth checking connections from the ignition back and giving them a wee squirt of a water repellent like CRC, or even better, a proper connection spray.

As said, check simple stuff first, side stand switch, kill switch, ignition ain't full of water... fuse box is dry, plug caps are on properly and no damage to HT leads, connections are connected. If you have a fruitless search, fingers crossed it will start in the morning....

Summit I got into the habit of years ago was taking the bike for a quick ride, immediately after washing it, to dry everything off thoroughly, saved drying it off with a rag. Laziness and pooling water prevention in one.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Reminds me of a advert I saw in a USA magazine.

This is a top end one - they start at about $50 on Ebay and head up. Americans .....

http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/69A3935A0A0.aspx

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Check the plugs are properly connected by clutch and brake levers.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Replace the magic mud

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville 208
    Quote Originally Posted by strumpet View Post
    Hey there.

I just washed my Triumph Bonneville by hand, using a bucket of water and a cloth. No hosing involved. I rode it out of the garage no problems. Now, after washing, I cant turn it over. All the electrics start up, both lights on the speedo come on, I get that whirring sound, I push the starter button and...nothing!

Really annoying. I've had the bike since new in 2008 and never had this problem. I don't service the bike myself as I've no idea how to apart from basic pre ride check! The battery is about 3 months old by the way.

So... what have I done wrong? And how do I make it right?

Cheers in advance.
    Hi there, biker buddies.
    Just an update. I got some CRC ($5.00 from the red Wharehouse), squirted the crap out of everything electric, told the bike some sweet, love guff and waited a couple of days. With a kind word or two (start ya bastard), it returned my love and started! Me thinks I got water in the electrics.

Thanks for all yr help. I have googled your suggestions and now found out where spark plugs are, side stand switch is and a few other things I never knew in 9 years of owning it. One of the joys of owning a bike from new is just expecting it will always work - but I do keep up with a yearly service from the shop! Oh, and I do belong to the AA in case of really getting caught out in the middle of the wop wops (never happened yet).

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Good result! Wouldn't hurt to also google this problem on this bike or electrical gremlins on this bike in particular, just to keep on top of it? Suzukis have had a problem with main loom plugs for years because of cost cutting and many a frustrated rider has been left stranded with a wet, corroded problem that should never have happened but still is avoidable with being forewarned. Checked out the forums? Anyway, good on ya for asking for help...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    9 years? May just be a dry connection but still worth getting to the bottom of it, as suggested.

Took my (considerably older) bike in for a WOF recently and my pre check showed the brake light was not coming on when the front lever was squeezed. A quick squirt of LP1 into the brake light switch sorted it. LP1 is a repco product similar to CRC but not kerosene based so it leaves a light film on surfaces. I think I paid about $25 / 4 ltrs ages ago. I just use a wee squirty bottle to apply.

Before I moved to the benign climate of NZ from the UK it was vital to keep electrical connections sprayed. The crap weather and salt on the roads would play havoc otherwise.

Excellent result for you, and knowledge gained too boot.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information