Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Following Distance - Free Stuff That Just Keeps Giving

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    If you're talking about Jock Ross's daughter she is a nice woman and I know her too, she got labelled a few things but the current one got transferred to Ashburton not that long ago & has definitely made her presence felt.

I always have a laugh when I see that sort of thing happening because of living out here in the boonies and travelling the main south on a more than regular basis I have seen the worst of what goes more often than what the cops see and it amuses me no end when people say the main south is a boring road....it's anything but boring and a piece of road that'll bite when you least expect it so have no sympathy at all for the whiners they get pinged doing stupid shit
    DSS is one if the most common offences.

Doing Stupid Stuff.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Here's another good reason to keep your following distance to improve observation (and why lane diving will eventually catch up with you)
    Excellent example of driving into a space you can't see into.

Darwin Award.

Bike
    A
    What about the HP cars that tuck in close behind trucks & hug the fog line out on the highway ?? It's a regular event to see that going on particularly between Rakaia & Ashburton and along the Dunsandel & Burnham straights
    It's quite a common practice, and as a trucker I have no issue with it at all. Even funnier when a marked patrol car is in the cradle, as in between two rigs, to nab those who overtake with undue enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Nothing excuses following too closely.

It's quite easy to "hide" behind a large vehicle without being too close to it. You might call it sneaky and devious.

It's also good patrol technique.
    For a lot of road users a patrol car can be parked in plain sight, for with their forward observation extending out to 2 seconds max, they won't even spot it until well after the officer has achieved radar lock anyway...

Bike
    A
    DSS is one if the most common offences.

Doing Stupid Stuff.
    In my circle a "DSS driver" is of the Drunk, Stoned or Stupid variety. Not be confused with DWA, Driving Whilst Asian. Although in Auckland, some nights it's easy to get the two mixed up...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    those who overtake with undue enthusiasm.
    a) would you have a baww if it was a civi tailgating you like the cops do?
    b) what if they were looking for infringements, with *555 on speed dial (bluetooth of course)

c) "undue enthusiasm"? surely less time spent in the suicide lane the better? also courteous as it would allow more people to pass TWO FUCKEN TRUCKS.

nothing worse than an asshole who takes the whole fucken passing lane to overtake at 104, with a queue of cars behind them.

also noticed trucks speeding up in passing lanes, something previously only seen from douchelords (townies).
    tut-fucken-tut.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    a) would you have a baww if it was a civi tailgating you like the cops do?
    b) what if they were looking for infringements, with *555 on speed dial (bluetooth of course)

c) "undue enthusiasm"? surely less time spent in the suicide lane the better? also courteous as it would allow more people to pass TWO FUCKEN TRUCKS.

nothing worse than an asshole who takes the whole fucken passing lane to overtake at 104, with a queue of cars behind them.

also noticed trucks speeding up in passing lanes, something previously only seen from douchelords (townies).
    tut-fucken-tut.
    a) the way HP cars follow in the scenario described I'd not call tailgating, not that this worries me in the truck...the 20 tonne DG bumper takes care of those with slow reactions

b) no bother to me

c) someone who can actually drive properly won't need to do silly speeds to overtake a truck.

Trucks speeding up in passing lanes I've not noticed as yet, bit hard for a loaded one anyhoo. If anything, with a few cars behind me, I'm in favour of the drop 10 km/h approach. Trouble is that by time some folks have noticed they're on a passing lane, put down their phone, got themselves into the right hand lane, taken another sip of their coffee...the passing lane is almost at an end and then they get angry when my blinker comes on to alert them to the merge

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    a) the way HP cars follow in the scenario described I'd not call tailgating, not that this worries me in the truck...the 20 tonne DG bumper takes care of those with slow reactions

b) no bother to me

c) someone who can actually drive properly won't need to do silly speeds to overtake a truck.

Trucks speeding up in passing lanes I've not noticed as yet, bit hard for a loaded one anyhoo. If anything, with a few cars behind me, I'm in favour of the drop 10 km/h approach. Trouble is that by time some folks have noticed they're on a passing lane, put down their phone, got themselves into the right hand lane, taken another sip of their coffee...the passing lane is almost at an end and then they get angry when my blinker comes on to alert them to the merge
    the cops i've seen doing this sneak atack shit certainly aren't following the 2second rule, probably less than a car length, deffo less than 2, behind the vehicle in front.

at least you sound like one of the good uns.

i also think no-one should be obliged or even encouraged to indicate right from the lh lane. that's the default lane. ("keep left", remember??)
    if you're that fucken unaware of shit you deserve to be vehicularly homicided.

also i'll call you on your application of "silly" wrt "speeds"
    my 20 year old phat sweet magna will do 150 all day long, without being silly.
    and rolling on 5th at a passing lane will have me easily exceeding the posted. also no silliness involved.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    the cops i've seen doing this sneak atack shit certainly aren't following the 2second rule, probably less than a car length, deffo less than 2, behind the vehicle in front.

at least you sound like one of the good uns.

i also think no-one should be obliged or even encouraged to indicate right from the lh lane. that's the default lane. ("keep left", remember??)
    if you're that fucken unaware of shit you deserve to be vehicularly homicided.

also i'll call you on your application of "silly" wrt "speeds"
    my 20 year old phat sweet magna will do 150 all day long, without being silly.
    and rolling on 5th at a passing lane will have me easily exceeding the posted. also no silliness involved.
    Yeah well, the indicate right at the end of a passing lane is one of those funny things aye? Not legally required yet it helps following drivers. Let's face it, some drivers can barely keep a car between the lines as it is...

As for silly speeds when overtaking, yes I concur with your point, so read my take on silly speeds as those being well over the legal limit.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    It's quite a common practice, and as a trucker I have no issue with it at all. Even funnier when a marked patrol car is in the cradle, as in between two rigs, to nab those who overtake with undue enthusiasm.

For a lot of road users a patrol car can be parked in plain sight, for with their forward observation extending out to 2 seconds max, they won't even spot it until well after the officer has achieved radar lock anyway...
    I don't have too much issue with it myself either apart from the fact they're always well inside the safe following distance, which at the end of the day isn't what law enforcement are really supposed to do....you know "promote safe driving practices" and down here they usually tuck in behind the likes of the Synlait tankers who are governed to 95km/h and you hardly ever see them do the same behind some of the long-haul rigs.
    Funny to watch when there are vehicles starting to bunch up behind and no-one's brave enough to pass.

And I bet you get on the CB and let some of your mates know you've got a cling-on

Forward observational skills are piss poor with the majority down this way, their attention is usually elsewhere...mostly gawking at the vista of the alps, yapping at who ever's beside them in the vehicle, or woffling on their phones and TBH the most often seen doing that is you truckies

My biggest pet hate is the fucking halfwits who sit in the middle of the road to turn right, though it's the best trap to catch unaware tailgaters in groups of vehicles who come upon these numpties and I've seen some spectacular panic avoidance take place and a couple of good multi vehicle collisions happen through this sort of thing.
    There's a reason for the statement "pull left and once the road is clear proceed to turn right"

Bike
    A
    I don't have too much issue with it myself either apart from the fact they're always well inside the safe following distance, which at the end of the day isn't what law enforcement are really supposed to do....you know "promote safe driving practices" and down here they usually tuck in behind the likes of the Synlait tankers who are governed to 95km/h and you hardly ever see them do the same behind some of the long-haul rigs.
    Funny to watch when there are vehicles starting to bunch up behind and no-one's brave enough to pass.

And I bet you get on the CB and let some of your mates know you've got a cling-on

Forward observational skills are piss poor with the majority down this way, their attention is usually elsewhere...mostly gawking at the vista of the alps, yapping at who ever's beside them in the vehicle, or woffling on their phones and TBH the most often seen doing that is you truckies

My biggest pet hate is the fucking halfwits who sit in the middle of the road to turn right, though it's the best trap to catch unaware tailgaters in groups of vehicles who come upon these numpties and I've seen some spectacular panic avoidance take place and a couple of good multi vehicle collisions happen through this sort of thing.
    There's a reason for the statement "pull left and once the road is clear proceed to turn right"
    There's good cops and the odd one who gives the rest a bad name. Like any other group.

We're limited to 90 km/h so being aware of building a tail, and managing that by dropping speed a little on passing lanes, is all part of our driver coaching. Not perfect of course, but the intent is correct. Hardly ever use the CB as it is, sure as heck don't partake in the warning other truckers of HP presence.

Drivers using cellphones is a pet peeve of mine, truckers tend to be a very visible group doing it aye? Just speaking for my outfit, we're not allowed to, by law for starters, non negotiable company policy. Plenty of excuses will be offered by the offenders, none that stack up when one of our lads gets sprung on the Drivecam using the cell. I'd fully support harsher penalties for cellphone use, but then Police have limited resources. Enforcing of the basics has gone by the wayside to a large degree, unfortunately.

Tailgating can catch one out in various scenarios. Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw many moons ago, it read something like: "Tailgating is like masturbation, done by many, admitted by few"

Correct, or at least safe, following distances is driver education 101. Keeping sensible following distance does work, there's a proven system that incorporates it. Just requires an attitude adjustment. Thus it'll never catch on...

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I have a theory.

Modern vehicles have anti lock brake systems. Their drivers/riders know this. Thus rely upon it too much, as in follow close - anti lock will sort that shit.
    Antilocking brakes do not improve stopping distance, they allow controlled manouvering while braking. That's the primary purpose for them, better control by not skidding be it in straight line or turns.

Bike
    suzuki
    Remember, people who see you are less likely to kill you.
    what a bout the term 'don't shoot until you see the whites in their eyes' ?

Bike
    There's good cops and the odd one who gives the rest a bad name. Like any other group.

We're limited to 90 km/h so being aware of building a tail, and managing that by dropping speed a little on passing lanes, is all part of our driver coaching. Not perfect of course, but the intent is correct. Hardly ever use the CB as it is, sure as heck don't partake in the warning other truckers of HP presence.

Drivers using cellphones is a pet peeve of mine, truckers tend to be a very visible group doing it aye? Just speaking for my outfit, we're not allowed to, by law for starters, non negotiable company policy. Plenty of excuses will be offered by the offenders, none that stack up when one of our lads gets sprung on the Drivecam using the cell. I'd fully support harsher penalties for cellphone use, but then Police have limited resources. Enforcing of the basics has gone by the wayside to a large degree, unfortunately.

Tailgating can catch one out in various scenarios. Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw many moons ago, it read something like: "Tailgating is like masturbation, done by many, admitted by few"

Correct, or at least safe, following distances is driver education 101. Keeping sensible following distance does work, there's a proven system that incorporates it. Just requires an attitude adjustment. Thus it'll never catch on...
    There's bad apples in every box unfortunately and yeah attitude adjustment is an elusive beast....as old as it is I always think back to the old disney cartoon about car drivers that featured goofy, it explored all the personalities the appear in people once they get behind the wheel.
    Though on the bike I admit openly to getting away from bunches of vehicles on the open road as quickly as I can just to find that open space for safety and avoiding people venting their frustrations

Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    There are cars on the market now that are able to sense if you are following too close and automatically brake. It will be many years before every car has that feature,
    Been around for a long time.....I've a 10yr old car with active cruise control that adjusts speed automatically for both gaining on vehicles in front and for vehicles who gain on it from behind....never use the cruise control though.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I would love it to be an offence but you would need a dash cam to prove it for all traffic that wishes to turn in any direction that they must indicate before braking and not after. This would have to be the biggest thing that pisses me off with ChCh traffic. I wonder how many of such turning drivers have been rear ended by braking and not indicating first.
    The turn into the township where I live there's been at least 3 cars hit from behind and spun around like spinning tops because they sat in the middle of the road, an intersection closer towards ChCh there's been numerous multiple vehicle accidents due to the same thing and the place I see it happen most often is vehicles turning into the Caravan park by the Swamp at Islington.

Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    vehicles turning into the Caravan park by the Swamp at Islington.
    They're doing it wrong. Go to the Swamp first, get shitfaced, then turn left and next left and you're home. Safe as caravans.

Thread Information