Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 cold kiwi

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    I must say the young ginger shithead on the quad that was part of the organising team was lucky he didnt get a smack in the mouth from a couple of people.....
    Not sure who the ass holes were. I was seeing red and was trying to get the bike out of the mud at the time.

Not going back any time soon, it's a cunt of a site. IMHO the organisers didn't give a fuck about the damage they caused, I guess they got their $40 and some pictures to have a laugh about later.

I was on the sidecar so I just got bogged down. I would be seriously pissed if I took the Road King.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Bike
    Canadian Red Back
    I still have my 15 anniversary Rally badge and a few before and after from the Cold Kiwi when it was run at Six Cross at the top of the dessert road, and yes I was a member of the club that organised it, great times then. Pity the Army pulled the plug on the use of Six Cross, Brilliant site we had 3000 bikes, god knows how many people in there on the 15th anniversary. formed road one way in and out although some did try the tank tracks I suppose that how Harleys got the nick name of tractor

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Pity the Army pulled the plug on the use of Six Cross,
    the Army did not pull the plug on the use of the site as such. In 1996 or thereabouts the kaimanawa horses were becoming problematic in numbers, destroying native foliage and straying onto the desert road becoming a traffic hazard. The government decided to cull them, the maoris jumped and claimed them to be culturally significant, and others kick ed up a stink.
    So the cull was still going ahead but not wanting to pinpoint a date and draw all the protestors in they set a three month or so period where it would take place, over the winter. The army also issued a blanket ban on any private use of the land involved, including recreational hunting etc.
    the ruapehu club were advised and had an option to run it later in the year, cancel it or find another property, they chose to find another property, the cull took place before the rally but they had invested too much time and energy in the new site to pick up and go back.
    At the time the club which was always evolving with membership numbers being in the middle of small town country didn't see the initial relevance of the choice of the cold Kiwi site (six cross) being the highest road avaialable to camp out in winter on, of being enough significance to go back to.
    fair enough too as the tangiwai site was more suitable to modern requirements of health and safety, toilets etc that was coming this way.
    Mt Ruapehu was also erupting for the second year in a row and the ash left on the six cross site was a bit worrying, so i used this as an excuse to the medai when dealing with them as we didn't want to point the finger at the army as they'd always been good to the club

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    The Cold Kiwi is the only bike rally I have got into a fight at.
    sounds like you're a top bloke then
    Got a load of abuse from the dork on the gate when I got there.
    Good food, crap site, organisers need to take better care of the visitors.
    i'm not sure the 'organisers' were just at the gate to line every one and abuse them, or did you just turn up with a bad attitude and plan to piss them off?.

it's a cunt of a site. IMHO the organisers didn't give a fuck about the damage they caused, I guess they got their $40 and some pictures to have a laugh about later.
    you may have been dealing with hired security staff on the road in they had instructions to not let anyone up the hill, either or, the organisers aren't fillng their pockets with money and aren't putting themselves on the line just to have a laugh at you or anyone else, they do it cause they think it's a worthwhile event.
    as for the site being a 'cunt', we have had the wettest year in many years, and unfortunatly the function of the farm has changed since it was first used four years ago, then it was just a few sheep and deer roaming around. It has since been converted to dairy and the ground has changed to suit pasture growing needs.
    The club put in huge resources to install the faclities they have, it's not just a case of picking them up and moving over the road to another paddock, if indeed they could find one that is both suitable and has an owner that is even interested in an event like this, to make things worse is unlike the Brass where the club is based in a city with 120000 to draw on, the ruapehu motorcycle club is in a country area, members are very thin on the ground.

it's a shame you didn't enjoy yourself, a lot do, it's a winter event and that brings some hardship, contrary to what you believe; the club simply isn't there to make you life miserable though.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Yep, fair enough, well said Jello

I've been on enough committees for sports clubs etc to see that there is a shit-load of work in doing a rally like this, I don't envy you at all.
    The current site certainly has its challenges, but I've never had any grief, and I've had plenty of help. In return I've helped plenty of others, it's all part of the fun
    (It's no fun putting gloves on over muddy hands though...

So good on the club

(I might have bought you a beer too , but I thought you looked a bit pissed...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Canadian Red Back
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    the Army did not pull the plug on the use of the site as such. .........................
    yep remember that time well I was in Waiouru at the time but this time not a member of the club .
    `

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post

(I might have bought you a beer too , but I thought you looked a bit pissed...
    always room for another, was well cooked on, last year i couldn't even stay awake till the end of prizegiving even though i was involved in it i was that fucked, so made up for it a bit more this year.
    i'll be expecting a brown powerade from ya next year then.

Thread Information