Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which ADV bike?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    ADV bike with road tyres and lights that point in different directions? And the pipes go under the sump?
    Harsh. SWM have been playing in the mud a long time and I doubt you will feel like doing zaps on the beemer fully loaded. Engine is a stressed member by the looks, too. No frame underneath. Don't quote me on that.

If your talking about the day lights pointing down, that enables you to see what is immediately in front of you off road while your headlight gives the big picture. In the bush, at night. It's a bike designed for purpose, the beemer was built to get a market share and failed. Admittedly a couple were entered at Erzberg but IIRC they exhausted the brilliant riders and did not finish. It's a 21st century DRZ.

I was intrigued by the BMW when it came out and hope it ticks your boxes. Either ADV or Dual Sport in NZ makes you consider a lot of boxes. Please keep us posted, I'm intending a similar purchase in the next year and fairly confused about what will tick my boxes.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    could be good, just hope the parts support is there --- another one to look for is the new AJP PR7 whenever they finish that
    It's available at Dirt Action Services CHCH for around $16,000. Yamaha's outgoing XTZ 66o Tenère was $16,349 and far better build quality IMHO I've had a good look at it.
    flashg

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    doh thats a shame, still rather one over the Tenere/xtz660 on the engine alone, yamaha failed on that bike....

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by flashg View Post
    It's available at Dirt Action Services CHCH for around $16,000. Yamaha's outgoing XTZ 66o Tenère was $16,349 and far better build quality IMHO I've had a good look at it.

Bloody hell. Whats the T7 going to come in at? Introduced in November hopefully.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Harsh. SWM have been playing in the mud a long time and I doubt you will feel like doing zaps on the beemer fully loaded. Engine is a stressed member by the looks, too. No frame underneath. Don't quote me on that.

If your talking about the day lights pointing down, that enables you to see what is immediately in front of you off road while your headlight gives the big picture. In the bush, at night. It's a bike designed for purpose, the beemer was built to get a market share and failed. Admittedly a couple were entered at Erzberg but IIRC they exhausted the brilliant riders and did not finish. It's a 21st century DRZ.

I was intrigued by the BMW when it came out and hope it ticks your boxes. Either ADV or Dual Sport in NZ makes you consider a lot of boxes. Please keep us posted, I'm intending a similar purchase in the next year and fairly confused about what will tick my boxes.
    Zaps?

I would have thought the headlight could deal with whats right in front of you.

Not that I know much about Erzberg but I think that was the G450x which is a different bike. And they both finished in the top ten. But Im not planning on entering it.

I will see how we go with it and if I like this adv stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Bloody hell. Whats the T7 going to come in at? Introduced in November hopefully.
    Theres an 89 TDR 250 on tardme for $8,995, very very nice.
    Also the AJP is not equipped to carry a passenger.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the T7 is a similar price to the KTM 690. But I think it'll have more to offer, being built as an adventure bike from the start. No need to rush out and buy all those bits to make it suitable for the job. I really wish Yamaha would use a chrome molly chassis on this type of bike to help keep the weight down, but still retain strength.
    flashg

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    doh thats a shame, still rather one over the Tenere/xtz660 on the engine alone, yamaha failed on that bike....
    I owned an XTZ660 Tenère for five years, fantastic engine. I found the bike heavy in slow going challenging adventure riding, and I hated the stepped seat. But apart from that, a fantastic bike.
    What makes you think Yamaha failed on that bike ? Did you own one ?
    Made from 2008 - 2016 must have been a shocking bike. What were Yamaha thinking continuing to manufacture that during a global recession.
    America never got them and that pissed off a few yanks
    flashg

Bike
    Indian Scout
    ADV bike with road tyres and lights that point in different directions? And the pipes go under the sump?
    Depends on what you are looking for and intended use. I want a bike I can ride on sealed roads for some distance, then find gravel/dirt roads to explore the scenery. Not looking for a 100% off road dirt bike, I'm after a dual purpose bike - hence the name Super Dual describes what I'm looking for. But also a bike that could take on serious mud and dirt if asked once in awhile. That's why I'd never go with a silly 1000+ cc container ship anchor.

The SWM gives buyers the choice between dual purpose road/gravel tyres or more serious knobblies on taller rims. I think it's great that they give the buyer these options.

Lights- how often does anyone go recreational riding at night? I did years of trail riding when a young lad on bikes that barely emitted anything brighter than four candles with front forks weaker than fork handles. (like that?) and pipes went under the sump. Never an issue.

Keen to see one of these SWMs in the flesh.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    I tend to agree about the pipes not being an issue when routed underneath. During the time I owned the XTZ 660, I was never tempted to try and go over fallen trees and logs, (something done on my enduro bikes maybe)ground clearance is not really an issue on an adventure bike. The tracks and rivers and gravel roads that I've ridden wouldn't be a problem on something with much lower ground clearance.
    flashg

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    I rode one twice on 4 hour trips, I found it lumpy at highway speed, heavy/topheavy and lacked punchy power --- the fuel pump also gave out on the bike at 10xK I heard ---- where I'd just go get a half the price brand new DRZ which is the same but lighter and more rugged --- but yeah, I've only ever bought 1 yamaha and it's a farm bike (though ridden a few WR250Rs' etc which are a nice bike but were way to expensive because of "no competition" or whatever in NZ) --- I guess what I really mean is, you don't always get what you pay for, and Yamaha NZ seems to think their bikes are worth a couple extra thou in the same segment because they're awesome but IMO they're not.

Bike
    F800GS
    I know a guy with an SWM. He seems quite keen on it. The cold starting put me off getting one myself. It took him aaaages to start it in the morning, it'd always start though. Besides the head gasket blowing 400k north of Alice springs and leaving him stranded I think its been pretty reliable.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Zaps?

I would have thought the headlight could deal with whats right in front of you.

Not that I know much about Erzberg but I think that was the G450x which is a different bike. And they both finished in the top ten. But Im not planning on entering it.

I will see how we go with it and if I like this adv stuff.
    A technique for getting over obstacles, logs, rocks, vertical steps and the like. I was defo jesting.

I've been stuck in Deliverance country a few times after dark and bar mounted or even fairing mounted headlights spend a fair bit of time pointing at the scenery not the trail, it improves your memory. Low spot lights allow you to ride whats at your feet as it were. Obviously I survived my mishaps, as said you can still get along ok, but if you're going deepest darkest bush they would be an asset.

Bang on about Erzberg. My bad.

A $9000 TDR? They don't make em like that anymore.... Soooo much fun! If I had the money I would have one in the shed.

My take on ADV riding is being able to cover decent distances on just about any kind of road, eventually. Skinny tires and a few inches of suspension are the starting point. ADV bikes just give your imagination more room to play with.
    To this day my fav ADV inspiration was a mad bloke on an R1. He didn't even bother with the skinny tires and suspension to ride round the world.

A good mate who changes bikes when they run out of fuel has had an F800GS for about 3 years now. He spends about 70% of his riding time on it regardless of whatever other exotica he has this month.

Enjoy your bike.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    I owned an XTZ660 Tenère for five years, fantastic engine. I found the bike heavy in slow going challenging adventure riding, and I hated the stepped seat. But apart from that, a fantastic bike.
    What makes you think Yamaha failed on that bike ? Did you own one ?
    Made from 2008 - 2016 must have been a shocking bike. What were Yamaha thinking continuing to manufacture that during a global recession.
    America never got them and that pissed off a few yanks
    Would you suggest a smaller/lighter bike for a beginner? - weight vs power vs height
    I am thinking of a dual purpose 80% road 20% gravel - for someone who wants to minimise time down for servicing etc
    Reliability over speed.

I have been on a Tenere and the height intimidated me, for starting and stopping, but while in motion for a beginner (still a beginner)

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    Would you suggest a smaller/lighter bike for a beginner? - weight vs power vs height
    I am thinking of a dual purpose 80% road 20% gravel - for someone who wants to minimise time down for servicing etc
    Reliability over speed.

I have been on a Tenere and the height intimidated me, for starting and stopping, but while in motion for a beginner (still a beginner)
    Look at Yamaha XTR 660, Lower height, better (non stepped) seat, smaller tank though (larger tanks available) oil changes every 6,000 kms. Good second hand ones are very affordable. I often thought thats what I should have bought.
    Same engine as the Raptor 660 and most parts from the Raptor 700 fit as well, plus all the race engine parts, cams etc, exhaust and air filter mods make a huge difference if not already done. TP Yamaha can adjust the CPU to richen them from stock if not already done. ( made in Italy and meet Euro spec emissions ) These engines will do huge kms. My XTZ was punchy and could lift the front wheel in 2nd without using the clutch, and it was 209 kg wet. XTR 660 is 181 kg wet from memory, comfy enough to ride all day on long trips.
    If thats to heavy look for a used wr250r more trail focussed though.
    flashg

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Look at Yamaha XTR 660, Lower height, better (non stepped) seat, smaller tank though (larger tanks available) oil changes every 6,000 kms. Good second hand ones are very affordable. I often thought thats what I should have bought.
    Same engine as the Raptor 660 and most parts from the Raptor 700 fit as well, plus all the race engine parts, cams etc, exhaust and air filter mods make a huge difference if not already done. TP Yamaha can adjust the CPU to richen them from stock if not already done. ( made in Italy and meet Euro spec emissions ) These engines will do huge kms. My XTZ was punchy and could lift the front wheel in 2nd without using the clutch, and it was 209 kg wet. XTR 660 is 181 kg wet from memory, comfy enough to ride all day on long trips.
    If thats to heavy look for a used wr250r more trail focussed though.

XTRs are crap.....
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Thread Information