Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are so many race bikes non compliant with the numbers rule?

Bike
    suzuki

Why are so many race bikes non compliant with the numbers rule?

We have a rule book, but a lot of riders simply don't even bother to look at it just put numbers on however they feel like, why? don't they get that numbers actually are very important for the sport, safety etc?

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    We have a rule book, but a lot of riders simply don't even bother to look at it just put numbers on however they feel like, why? don't they get that numbers actually are very important for the sport, safety etc?
    Has come up in NZCMRR meetings as an issue for safety due to need for track personal being able to identify bikes/riders for things like

mechanical issues required rider to see black flag and number.

There was talk of not letting non compliant bikes on the track and directing them to a person supplying numbers, but I'm not sure if that was

ever enforced.

Also nice for the spectators who may have paid money for entry and a program to know who is who.

With the club looking hard at ......wait for it.....Transponders...( gasp) due to volume and speed of bikes you have to wonder if it will happen.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Has come up in NZCMRR meetings as an issue for safety due to need for track personal being able to identify bikes/riders for things like

mechanical issues required rider to see black flag and number.

There was talk of not letting non compliant bikes on the track and directing them to a person supplying numbers, but I'm not sure if that was

ever enforced.

Also nice for the spectators who may have paid money for entry and a program to know who is who.

With the club looking hard at ......wait for it.....Transponders...( gasp) due to volume and speed of bikes you have to wonder if it will happen.
    classics are better than anyone else, still a few that need parking until they sort it.
    we had some at the nationals last year with just two numbers, that is just taking the piss even letting them onto the track in my opinion

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    classics are better than anyone else, still a few that need parking until they sort it.
    we had some at the nationals last year with just two numbers, that is just taking the piss even letting them onto the track in my opinion
    As numbers can be (loosely) described as safety equipment, they should be checked at scrutineering.

Bike
    moped
    Hi Spyda,
    we were talking about this with Merv the other night, there is a shit load of riders/racers that don't or can't be bothered keeping up and following the changes to the rule book.

Perhaps the Clubs running race events need to tighten this problem up, i do know that from time to time this is mentioned at riders brief, the Vic Club is now carrying a range of specified size numbers at all meetings to issue (for sale ) to riders who do not have the appropriate size or even no numbers at all, (yes we have had bikes turn up to a race event, with no number board at all, so they are NOT reading the rules)

Classic bikes seem to be fine you can stick or adapt a good size type of number board on both sides rear and in the front of the bike, so know excuse, but the more modern type bikes with fancy fairings say SSP300, KTMs, etc are now starting to be a bit of an issue trying to get the specified size numberboard somewhere on the side of the fairing. Also trying to place a number both sides of the tale piece to me is just a waste of time as these also are getting smaller in design and size, i prefer to see a decent number placed on the sides of the main fairing.

Also we are seeing Number boards being covered in stickers these days which also makes it harder for guys like yourself to read, This fancy graphic lettering should also be stomped on to.

Just my two bobs worth mate.

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    i would say as a basic guess,

the club guys that are taking time out of there day and doing the tech checks are unwilling to get into a argument by excluding a bike over numbers, as the first time it happens the first answer will be that they have been running these numbers for years,

and the riders just don't care enough, since have never been excluded for having the wrong size numbers, and think that since transponders record the results most of the time it does not matter,

its not just a road race thing, mx has the same issues, but the back numbers are the biggest non complaint issue their, about 5 years ago a steward started fining riders for not running them at the nationals, it did not go down well,

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post

the club guys that are taking time out of there day and doing the tech checks are unwilling to get into a argument by excluding a bike over numbers, as the first time it happens the first answer will be that they have been running these numbers for years,

and the riders just don't care enough, since have never been excluded for having the wrong size numbers, and think that since transponders record the results most of the time it does not matter,

its not just a road race thing, mx has the same issues, but the back numbers are the biggest non complaint issue their, about 5 years ago a steward started fining riders for not running them at the nationals, it did not go down well,
    Put them on notice with a "comply by next meeting" note in their log book. If it was caliper bolt or sump bung wiring, it's be automatic fail at scrutineering.

Fuck, I failed a Britten at a NZGP scrutineering - where are the scrutineers with balls ?

Bike
    suzuki

nail on the head. and if MNZ can't reel in the little issues then they can't handle the big ones....

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Put them on notice with a "comply by next meeting" note in their log book. If it was caliper bolt or sump bung wiring, it's be automatic fail at scrutineering.

Fuck, I failed a Britten at a NZGP scrutineering - where are the scrutineers with balls ?
    sticking the scrutineering stickers to the number boards, in contradiction to the rulebook that says no stickers on them....

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando

I think the word 'scrutineering' has been replaced by "inspection" as it implies too much. ( or is that just the classics?, which by the way MNZ

other than taking your money are not particularly interested in)
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    where do you place it in the list of safety ?

before or after valve caps, which i have had a couple of arguments about before, as i don't put mine on till i have set the pressure for races? esp the day before a race when the weather is changeable,

Bike

probably gone off to do something else with their weekends as they got over the riders complaining at the them for enforcing stuff they did not see as important,

Bike
    suzuki
    where do you place it in the list of safety ?
    vital, last weekend i flagmarshalled at the hairpin at manfeild, one bike was blowing shit out of it, absolutely no number on one side of the bike, took several laps to identify it before calling it in, didn't help that there were two number 17's in the event but they were two different styles. Additionally, the marshalls are told the last bike through each race, so they need to confirm that that bike is through, how do you do that when some chimp has letterbox numbers on their bike?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Bloody rules. As I age there appears to me more people and organisations eager to impose additional rules on what I can and can not do anymore.

FFS even a nice rolling burnout is considered a sustained loss of traction.

And all that silly software at work they are spending tens of thousands on that they want us to spend hours and hours filling out so they can ask why the companies productivity is lower .......... it's because before your daft software we were doing ACTUAL WORK that derived a income!

Tomorrow I will ensure at least five 'rules' are broken.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Bloody rules. As I age there appears to me more people and organisations eager to impose additional rules on what I can and can not do anymore.
    these rules have barely changed in the last thirty years, same deal , three numbers as it was then

Thread Information