Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Splitting at Motorway on-ramp lights - yes or no??

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I was just going to say that one... and the on ramp from Newmarket heading South.

Axlie can get his Magayna thru though as he's awesome
    Lecturing the cops into humbleness the entire way! Yesirree, he sure is de man!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    I generally filter up to the front just behind the front two cars on the entrance ramp, then when the light goes green I take off with them but keep behind them.

That way the cars behind don't feel like they've lost a spot, and I'm on the motorway many many spaces before I would have been and can afford to be behind the two cars who were at the head of the queue. Probably have got out into the centre lane and passed them by the time the merge lane ends.
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    My usual on-ramp going home is the one behind Newmarket. If I can, I filter. It's a bit narrow and people drive like c#$%s so sometimes they don't leave me enough space to get through. I usually move up and wait behind the first set of cars then go with their light. Until recently there was a nasty pothole in the right track (fixed two weeks ago) just after the two lanes merged.

At Mt Wellington there's a T2, so I take that if there's any traffic at the lights, or through the normal lanes without waiting if no one in my way.

Bike
    2023 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
    'S'all good! I should've gotten over into the T2 lane at the start of the onramp, but to keep momentum I just continued through the queue to the front and kept going. No one in this queue seemed to mind.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MGST View Post
    I'm fresh back into the country after 8 years away. They didn't have the stupid motorway on-ramp lights when I left. What's the go with these, do you split up to the front like a normal set of lights, or do you wait in the queue with all the peanuts in their cars? Obviously if you did split you'd need to watch out for the ragers opening their doors or moving over on you, but what seems to be the "standard" at these lights?
    Motorcycling rule #1 ... Own the road ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information