Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Bike Advice. Next bike after VL250?

Bike
    2009 Suzuki Intruder

Upgrade Bike Advice. Next bike after VL250?

Hi,

I have a 2007 VL250, it took me a few years to actually get the bike (my first) so I spent a lot of time watching auctions and learning about the bike and prices that it and similar models went for. I was sure of what I wanted and I ended up getting this one for a steal and it hasn't taken that much work to get it going. I often read that it won't take me long riding this one before I want to upgrade and start looking for another bike. I plan on riding this one until I can get out of LAMS and on to my full licence.

Could I have some recommendations for a few good models that would be a good next step up for me? Just so I can start researching and watching auctions and start dreaming/saving for it.

Thanks

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    hayabusa .

Bike
    all sorts
    Zx14
    He who makes a beast out of himself
    Gets rid of the pain of being a man

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...the one you like and feel comfortable riding would be foremost thoughts for me...

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Is your preference a cruiser? If so don't discount a Triumph.....perhaps a Speedmaster or Triumph America.

Jeez I wouldn't mind a brand new 1700 Thunderbird myself.

Bike
    2013 Rocket 3. 2013 T/Bird Storm
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Is your preference a cruiser? If so don't discount a Triumph.....perhaps a Speedmaster or Triumph America.

Jeez I wouldn't mind a brand new 1700 Thunderbird myself.
    The speed master and america rev quite high. Somewhere around 4000rpm at 100k. T/Bird Storm revs approx 2200rpm at 100k. Slightly bigger but a whole lot better for comfort.

Sent from my ZTE R84 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by razza11 View Post
    The speed master and america rev quite high. Somewhere around 4000rpm at 100k. T/Bird Storm revs approx 2200rpm at 100k. Slightly bigger but a whole lot better for comfort.

That is arrant nonsense.

You would need to ride both of them to have any fucking clue whatever about their riding characteristics. There are a whole lot of factors that influence it other than how many rpm the engine is turning. and less, in this context is not more.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    A very reliable step up could be a Kawasaki W650, they are a nice 650 parallel twin, has both elec and kick starters, bullet proof engine and looks like an old school triumph if that's something you like. Disc front and drum rear brakes with adequate suspension.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141206_132814_332cc.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	332653

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    A very reliable step up could be a Kawasaki W650, they are a nice 650 parallel twin, has both elec and kick starters, bullet proof engine and looks like an old school triumph if that's something you like. Disc front and drum rear brakes with adequate suspension.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141206_132814_332cc.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	332653
    They are too expensive for what they are - the W800 is a better bike but a better bike than either is a Triumph Bonneville 865. They are falling in value (not as much as my 675 Street Triple R it seems ) and are very competent and engaging to ride. Because they have been superseded by the new models there are some bargains.

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    They are too expensive for what they are - the W800 is a better bike but a better bike than either is a Triumph Bonneville 865. They are falling in value (not as much as my 675 Street Triple R it seems ) and are very competent and engaging to ride. Because they have been superseded by the new models there are some bargains.

Maybe, but man are the W650s climbing in value overseas. I looked at a couple of triumphs recently , those pretend carburetors didn't rock my boat, especially with no pretend throttle cables going to the tops, but I have to admit i have given the Thruxton R another couple of sideways looks.
    PS, the fit of the Thruxton R just isn't quite right for me, I think I would be pretty sore after an hours riding.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by generictiger View Post
    I plan on riding this one until I can get out of LAMS and on to my full licence.
    A full license does not come with years of riding experience in all weathers and road conditions(unless you're a slow learner). Especially if your sum total of riding experience is on a VL250.

There are plenty of LAM's class motorcycles ... that would still take you a few years to "explore" all their potential on the road. Don't get ahead of yourself ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Street Triple R
    OP: buy a proper motorbike. Triumph Street Triple. LAMS if necessary but if not the full fat model. With the new model (765 ) out the values are completely gutted, and you are buying a bike that rightly won a bunch of "Best middleweight" comparisons for years. They are an extremely capable motorcycle. The only thing I dont like about mine (which I have had for now five years - its a 2009 model) is that the seat height is high. But I am very short and everything is too high for me.

If form triumphs* over function, consider a Harley Davidson. I have been riding a Harley Street 500 for a couple months and it is a surprisingly capable and versatile bike. I really like it for bopping round town on - its peppy enough, comfortable enough, and if its important to you, it has "that" badge on the tank. Plus it was cheap. I am giving it back to its proper owner at the weekend and I will genuinely miss it. Take one for a spin (or a Sportster) see how you like it.

*forgive me

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    A full license does not come with years of riding experience in all weathers and road conditions(unless you're a slow learner). Especially if your sum total of riding experience is on a VL250.

There are plenty of LAM's class motorcycles ... that would still take you a few years to "explore" all their potential on the road. Don't get ahead of yourself ...
    Ah well, there's some logic in the above, but it all varies from person to person still. If one has a modicum of self discipline, then a decent bike needn't be a dangerous proposition...

Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    OP: buy a proper motorbike. Triumph Street Triple. LAMS if necessary but if not the full fat model. With the new model (765 ) out the values are completely gutted, and you are buying a bike that rightly won a bunch of "Best middleweight" comparisons for years. They are an extremely capable motorcycle. The only thing I dont like about mine (which I have had for now five years - its a 2009 model) is that the seat height is high. But I am very short and everything is too high for me.

If form triumphs* over function, consider a Harley Davidson. I have been riding a Harley Street 500 for a couple months and it is a surprisingly capable and versatile bike. I really like it for bopping round town on - its peppy enough, comfortable enough, and if its important to you, it has "that" badge on the tank. Plus it was cheap. I am giving it back to its proper owner at the weekend and I will genuinely miss it. Take one for a spin (or a Sportster) see how you like it.

*forgive me
    I'd go for a decent sized bike (engine & physical size) myself, but then my learning curve is past the OPs stage...

Bike
    2013 Rocket 3. 2013 T/Bird Storm
    I have. Have you? You might find your little legs can fit over one of these easier than your current ride. You are correct though that less is not always more. You may note I wasn't expounding on the riding characteristics as such, but simply noting a difference in rpm at 100k which does reflect on long distance riding comfort.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by razza11 View Post
    I have. Have you? You might find your little legs can fit over one of these easier than your current ride. You are correct though that less is not always more. You may note I wasn't expounding on the riding characteristics as such, but simply noting a difference in rpm at 100k which does reflect on long distance riding comfort.

You're talking out your arse.

Thread Information