Thread: Yamaha R6 Idle

Bike
    '01 Yamaha YZFR6
    Blog Entries

Yamaha R6 Idle

Hey guys,

I've still got a little problem with my '01 R6.

After riding the bike for a while it likes to rev higher than usual at idle, now I have a fair idea what it is but wanted to ask before I have a play. I know it isn't a vacuum leak, it is an issue with either the throttle cable or the carbies. When I let off the throttle it will sit around 2-2.5k rpm, when I physically push forward on the throttle it drops down (if I was to hold it forward it would stall). The idle adjust is set as low as it can go and I have just inspected and lubed the throttle cables (they snap back nicely).

If I am correct I need to adjust the centre carby butterfly adjust screw a tiny bit back. I won't play with the left or right as they have only just been sync'd less than 2000km ago.

Thanks in advance!

THE FOUR RULES OF EXPLORING THIS AMAZING COUNTRY OF NZ
    RIDE SAFE, RIDE HARD, RIDE FREE

and try not sound so route 51 american brudda

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by CB ARGH View Post
    Hey guys,

I've still got a little problem with my '01 R6.

After riding the bike for a while it likes to rev higher than usual at idle, now I have a fair idea what it is but wanted to ask before I have a play. I know it isn't a vacuum leak, it is an issue with either the throttle cable or the carbies. When I let off the throttle it will sit around 2-2.5k rpm, when I physically push forward on the throttle it drops down (if I was to hold it forward it would stall). The idle adjust is set as low as it can go and I have just inspected and lubed the throttle cables (they snap back nicely).

If I am correct I need to adjust the centre carby butterfly adjust screw a tiny bit back. I won't play with the left or right as they have only just been sync'd less than 2000km ago.

Thanks in advance!
    That does not sound right to me- the center screw is to sync 1&2 carbs with 3&4 once each pair has been balanced. If you are confident there is no leak and nothing mechanical is binding, then perhaps there is a mixture problem? Perhaps a hanging throttle at idle suggests your pilot jets need adjustment-a bit lean perhaps?

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Yeah I'd go along with that.
    Check again for air leaks...
    The first thing I'd be doing is seeing how it runs with the accelerator cabling disconnected, just to make certain it's not the cable pinched.
    Idle mixture is pretty easy to confirm, factory setting is usually adequate.
    Best not bugger about with balancing without gauges...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Reading your intro again...
    If you disconnect the accelerator AND choke cables I think you'll find the bike won't run because you've wound off the idle screw, so you'll have to adjust that back up to get it to idle speed.
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Thread Information