Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 95 Availability

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Thank for all the replies. Apologies to the Mainlanders I upset. That day I spent in Auckland last year must have messed with my head. Both bikes will manage 300kms easy and will get the apps as suggested. We are planning a run to Milford Sound but staying in Te Anau so sounds all good. Apparently both bikes can be reprogrammed to run on 91 permanently but I am guessing the best performance will be to run them as the Bavarians intended.
    Now I need to work out how to get something to drink other than Speights while down there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    You can even get hot food at some petrol stations, and get this, pay with one of those newfangled effypos cards.

Next we be getting street lights.
    settle down sunshine, reefton was the first place in N zud to have electricity, but don't spect streetlighting to soon, gotta wait for that fuel crisis in auckland so we can get petrol down here again an put the horse back out to pasture.

I think people be spectin to much to think we have 95 fuel stations, coal still works just fine

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    Thank for all the replies. Apologies to the Mainlanders I upset. That day I spent in Auckland last year must have messed with my head. Both bikes will manage 300kms easy and will get the apps as suggested. We are planning a run to Milford Sound but staying in Te Anau so sounds all good. Apparently both bikes can be reprogrammed to run on 91 permanently but I am guessing the best performance will be to run them as the Bavarians intended.
    Now I need to work out how to get something to drink other than Speights while down there

its actually quite simple, leave ya apps and gps at home and come south and enjoy yaself, fuel up in greymouth then top up at franz and you will cruise through, everywhere else you will stumble across fuel stops but our fuel prices are considerably more expensive than north island, as for milford, easy done on a tank from te anau and back.
    a lot of stations down here are 24hr card pay with credit or eftpos and remember to allow time in invercargill for motorcycle mecca and E Hayes hardware store. if ya look around you can find lion red or DB but if ya gonna drink wine then at least hide it in a beer glass unless you are round Queenstown.

also worth a jaunt out to Glenorchy from Queenstown.

never get lost but not unusual to find a new scenic route

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Skinny did a map for the TT2000/NI1600 riders which is also a good general guide when your touring:
    http://www.thinman.co.nz/24-hour-petrol-stations/

Obviously main focus is 24hr garages but does also list fuel type.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I need to work out how to get something to drink other than Speights while down there
    I'm almost ashamed to say I had to have it pointed out to me, but down south Central Otago Pinot Noir is mandatory.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Last time I was in Arthur's Pass they only had 91.

Cheers

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Haha years ago while on our honeymoon-pub-crawl around South we stopped at a country pub out the back of Ch-Ch somewhere I think... anyway it was a howling nor-wester and hotter than a whore on heat so we just had to stop somewhere for a drink.
    I impressed the barman and the leaners first by recognizing the dusty old Lion Red quarts in the fridge, then really impressed them after explaining I was from Auckland by ordering a CD!
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    You can even get hot food at some petrol stations, and get this, pay with one of those newfangled effypos cards.

Next we be getting street lights.
    (A whie ago) I filled up in Westport - handed the station attendant my card only to be told "We don't have Eftpos .. "

I had to leave the bike at the station and walk down the road to the hole-in-the-wall machine ..

Monteith's ...

But don't panic - there are plenty of petrol stations down there ....
    Last edited by Banditbandit; 22nd September 2017 at 11:53. Reason: duslwecix fingers ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    Same last time I was in Auckland.

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Cheers
    Remains true.

Bike
    ES XTZ

Cheers
    70 KMs to the west - Kumara has a McKeown card fuel with 95.
    80 Kms to the east - Springfield Caltex has 95.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Is fuel expensive throughout the South Island? Been in CH-CH since Thursday last week and you're paying 30c per litre more than North Island prices... on average.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Is fuel expensive throughout the South Island? Been in CH-CH since Thursday last week and you're paying 30c per litre more than North Island prices... on average.
    It's an awesomeness tax. The South Island is more awesomer, so one pays a price for that.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    It's an awesomeness tax. The South Island is more awesomer, so one pays a price for that.
    The idea sort of falls over when you look at Auckland property prices, a million plus for a shit hole.

I am thinking this trip is going to be awesome though. Counting the weeks!
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    VTR1000
    The idea sort of falls over when you look at Auckland property prices, a million plus for a shit hole.

I am thinking this trip is going to be awesome though. Counting the weeks!
    Could be worse, could pay a million plus for a shit hole in an area with massive traffic issues.

South Island is a blast to ride around, you in for a hella of time. Should take a look and see if any rallys are on while your down, always a good time with like minded individuals

Thread Information