Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ducati pros & cons

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07

eek

Does a Ducati that's worth buying that costs less than 10k even exist?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post

Why do Ducati persist with a redundant valve actuating system that adds complexity and cost with no mechanical advantage?

I have a theory about this. It's all to do with T-shirt sales.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DUCATI DESMO VALVE.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	332715  

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I have a theory about this. It's all to do with T-shirt sales.
    Wonder how many issues they have with the shirts?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Wonder how many issues they have with the shirts?
    Three recalls I heard. Sticking around the neck port. Over heating problems leading to moisture build around the sleeve seams and leakages at the rear end.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Three recalls I heard. Sticking around the neck port. Over heating problems leading to moisture build around the sleeve seams and leakages at the rear end.
    Tsk tsk, ya just don't get these problems with japanese shirts!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Niken, Hypermotard, ST1100, F650, Evoke
    I usually ride a BMW F650 but was loaned a late model, ~700cc Ducati Monster last weekend to blast around Auckland.
    Loved it, weird sensation having nothing in front of me (can't see the front wheel), compared to my BMW.
    Had a great time.
    Recommend you check out Moto Magnet who has a huge selection of Ducati in stock.
    On Great South Rd off the Ellerslie exit.

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Having worked in two Ducati stores over the years, the best advice I can give you is...don't do it.
    Given that I am currently contemplating a Panigale 1299 S...PLEASE elaborate. Tossing up between that, S1000rr and new Yamaha R1...or (and this is the outlier) a KTM 690 SMCR. Keen to know why you reckon steer clear of Ducati's!
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Given that I am currently contemplating a Panigale 1299 S...PLEASE elaborate. Tossing up between that, S1000rr and new Yamaha R1...or (and this is the outlier) a KTM 690 SMCR. Keen to know why you reckon steer clear of Ducati's!
    Don't get me wrong, I do actually like Ducati's (hence wanting to work in the dealerships), but I couldn't live with one, unless I had way too much money, and didn't mind getting fucked around all the time waiting for bits etc. I also couldn't afford to service one, and they still to this day...seem to develop *issues* Japanese bikes don't normally suffer from.

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Don't get me wrong, I do actually like Ducati's (hence wanting to work in the dealerships), but I couldn't live with one, unless I had way too much money, and didn't mind getting fucked around all the time waiting for bits etc. I also couldn't afford to service one, and they still to this day...seem to develop *issues* Japanese bikes don't normally suffer from.
    Thanks. TBH I am actually leaning the way of the 690 SMC...keen to try something different. have owned a bunch of sportsbikes, but never a motard. They look like riotous fun.
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Basic standard servicing on mine has been no different to my Honda Hornet when that was new. Oil, filter, check over the usual bits and bobs they write down, over lube the already lubed chain - usual stuff. Does not take any longer so hours charged match. Pick your fav oil and pay accordingly.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Gotta agree with Pete. I've friends that are loyal to Ducati and I admire them for that, they are beautiful bikes. But in those moments of honesty they admit the maintenance costs and ownership headaches are at the level many would not tolerate. 15 years on a regular group ride around the South island under my belt which always has a couple of Ducatis. We all agree the breakdowns are pretty much entirely in the Ducati camp. Every brand/bike will at some point have an issue, a loose bolt here, electrical short here. But with the Ducs on our ride, it's serious shit I couldn't afford. Major oil leaks, manifold cracking in half, entire front end subframe breaking off at the steering head welds, complete clutch failure/seizure- at least twice for the same Guy on different Ducs.

You can't put a price on love...unless you have fallen for a Ducati $$$
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Basic standard servicing on mine has been no different to my Honda Hornet when that was new. Oil, filter, check over the usual bits and bobs they write down, over lube the already lubed chain - usual stuff. Does not take any longer so hours charged match. Pick your fav oil and pay accordingly.
    When you have to do valve clearances...grab your ankles.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    The bike came with a small jar of factory 'Ducati lube' for that moment.

Last time I paid for a IL4 Honda to have it's valves checked cost a shitload in hours. Worst thing was the darn things did not need adjusting ...... bloody Hondas.

Got a hidden stash in the garage I add a note to weekly for motorcycle related expenses (true story). It should be flush by the time it hits 24,000 kms provided I keep off the 'buy now' button on Ebay for my carbon fiber wine induced searches.

Resisting so far by simple reason of - what's the point of replacing a light piece of plastic with carbon fiber (other than physical appeal)?

Mrs B's VW Golf has given us the Euro rude invoice experience way too often. Fucks me off just looking at it some days. No shit the last one a month back was cheap - $240 I think. But that was to replace a $1 O-ring that was shitting coolant ......... Now I'm pretty sure there are shit loads more of those pesky bastards in that engine bay just waiting to fail .....

Who is the guy on KB with the big BMW GS1200 that posted a running cost list some time back - it was horrid! Mind you he has racked up the kms

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Or DIY. Honestly, it's not that hard to learn.

Recommend getting the opening rocker arm tool from MPB first though, it makes life a lot easier.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Gotta agree with Pete. I've friends that are loyal to Ducati and I admire them for that, they are beautiful bikes. But in those moments of honesty they admit the maintenance costs and ownership headaches are at the level many would not tolerate. 15 years on a regular group ride around the South island under my belt which always has a couple of Ducatis. We all agree the breakdowns are pretty much entirely in the Ducati camp. Every brand/bike will at some point have an issue, a loose bolt here, electrical short here. But with the Ducs on our ride, it's serious shit I couldn't afford. Major oil leaks, manifold cracking in half, entire front end subframe breaking off at the steering head welds, complete clutch failure/seizure- at least twice for the same Guy on different Ducs.

You can't put a price on love...unless you have fallen for a Ducati $$$
    Also sadly true. In the time I've owned mine:

Frame repairs / rewelding - twice
    Engine rebuild before 100,000 km - rings were totally rooted, main bearings fucked, gearbox shimming had already been done and whoever did it had done it wrong, so forth and so on
    Clutch opened and worked on not less than 8 times
    Major design issues with carburettion and tuning
    Oil pump's about done
    etc etc...

... but I've had more fun riding in the last three years than I did in the last twenty. It's been highs and lows.

This is all with a mid '90s carburetted Supersport; my mate who had a post 2000 injected Monster had no issues at all aside from a worn chain and sprocket set.
    Last edited by OddDuck; 27th September 2017 at 06:57. Reason: Notes about injected, later bike

Thread Information