Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ducati pros & cons

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Or DIY. Honestly, it's not that hard to learn.

Recommend getting the opening rocker arm tool from MPB first though, it makes life a lot easier.
    I know. I'm a mechanic by trade. But I couldn't be fucked.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Or DIY. Honestly, it's not that hard to learn.

Recommend getting the opening rocker arm tool from MPB first though, it makes life a lot easier.
    I almost always advise people to learn how to do it. Don't think I'd suggest most folk have a go at a desmo though.

It's not that hard to have the valve gear constantly dragging after warm up.

Roll on pneumatic valve trains I say.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    It's not that hard to have the valve gear constantly dragging after warm up.
    Interesting (and a bit scary). Get the bike fully warmed up, come back and get the belts off, try turning the heads by hand and see? Or just run another shim clearance check?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Interesting (and a bit scary). Get the bike fully warmed up, come back and get the belts off, try turning the heads by hand and see? Or just run another shim clearance check?
    It's just about setting them spot on first time round. I've just heard that some people end up with the closing follower 'riding' the back of the cam.

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Meh, if you want a Ducati enough you'll buy it and pay for the maintenance or learn to do it yourself. I'm on to my second Ducati. I had the opportunity to get something else but couldn't help myself. I want to do my own valve clearances/shim replacements though so I went for an old Supersport as they have larger, easier to work on valves than the liquid cooled 4 valve per cylinder bikes. They are not super quick awe inspiring engines - just a lazy air-cooled twin at the end of the day. My 1997 600ss was my daily commuter in Auckland. I put 40,000 km on it with no mechanical problems - I kept the oil changes, belt changes and valve clearance checks all up to date. They sound and look great.
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Thanks. TBH I am actually leaning the way of the 690 SMC...keen to try something different. have owned a bunch of sportsbikes, but never a motard. They look like riotous fun.
    690 is a single and a bit ring ding. There is a 990SMR on TM, but has the smaller 15L tank, so between grins you'll need some gas. Fair warning tho, that is a hooligan toy! Long travel WP suspension makes mincemeat of NZ roads and the front wheel is quite optional at times

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Who is the guy on KB with the big BMW GS1200 that posted a running cost list some time back - it was horrid! Mind you he has racked up the kms
    Me? I've spent the bikes value ($35k) again, but that's all servicing, all parts, all accessories (Ohlins was $5k+ alone, then trips down to have it serviced). Plus I've worn out the final drive and drive shaft, so on my second of those. I literally have a pile of boxes from Ebay (I Ebay ) with stuff like another final drive, driveshaft, alternator (someone's shit itself at 140k, so I found a pretty decent one - just in case). It's about to get the 130k service and I've owned for 6.5-7 years, with the first year being spent as a shop demo. Mileage is dropping now, as I push more to the Hornet, because the BMW is expensive, and needs to be running to support sports events.

It's done pretty much everything from long trips to river crossings, lost count of the number of times it's been on it's side, and it's let me down once, fortunately at home. Wouldn't start for 2 days, and when the dealer finally looked at it, it started fine...

Mate's Multistrada 1200, he doesn't ride it much now, complains that bolts fall out so much he has to buy more to replace the lost ones... Whole tail piece got all flappy before he realised how many bolts were missing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Suzuki RF600R
    Cons - Italian bikes can be temperamental and grumpy.

Pros - Newer generation Ducati Panigale etc are chain driven not belt they are just as good as other brands.
    If you get the Ducati bug it's incurable.

Older ones need love and regular servicing failing to upkeep the maintenance will end in tears.
    Look after them and they are brilliant.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    I have a 1299:

Con:It's hot around the legs, the seat is hard, the suspension is hard, it drinks fuel.
    Pro:I can't wait to get on it any spare time I have.

Cheers

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    690 is a single and a bit ring ding. There is a 990SMR on TM, but has the smaller 15L tank, so between grins you'll need some gas. Fair warning tho, that is a hooligan toy! Long travel WP suspension makes mincemeat of NZ roads and the front wheel is quite optional at times
    I think I recall riding your one? Not opposed to something that encourages "spirited" riding.

Got a bit carried away on the weekend. Intended on going out to look at bikes, instead came home with a new car ordered. I blame the shit weather. At least it's an Audi...in the same family as Ducati

Guess the new road bike will need to wait a little while now.
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Contrary to earlier reports it's now reported that VW have no intention of selling Ducati.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information