Thread: Go smaller ?

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800 XC 2013

eek Go smaller ?

I have just spent 15 months Deadhorse, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina on my Triumph Tiger 800Xc, loved the bike but not brilliant on deep gravel, sand or mud. I am coming to NZ from the UK to spend several months touring and was thinking about a smaller bike, not too worried about tarmac abilities as distances not so great any advice would be great, thinking maybe something like a Yamaha WR250R, help

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    WR250R is good, really nimble, biggest downside is lack of passing punch on the highway. Like many single cyl Adv machines they need a seat & tank upgrade. I'd also consider a DR650 Suzuki - they are common in NZ, often with seat/tank etc already upgraded, about the same $$$$ as a WR250R, much lighter & more compact than you 800XC but will still haul a load well.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    all sorts
    +1 on DR650
    Very common here, so lots of parts/accessories available, same price as WR250 (I think, might even be cheaper), cruises at 100k easy and still capable off road.
    Needs a bigger tank, but quite often the shop will do you a deal on one, better seat and maybe windscreen.
    He who makes a beast out of himself
    Gets rid of the pain of being a man

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    geeeeet an XTZ125

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    +1 on DR650
    Very common here, so lots of parts/accessories available, same price as WR250 (I think, might even be cheaper), cruises at 100k easy and still capable off road.
    Needs a bigger tank, but quite often the shop will do you a deal on one, better seat and maybe windscreen.
    ^^ this...
    Or a drz400 if want to go smaller still, with a bigger tank/better seat and some luggage.

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    meh .....XC is perfect for NZ......Kiwis love a good challenge! ...besides we don't have any deep mud or sand, its all gravel & asphalt down under
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    1999 BMW R1100GS / 2012 WR 250 R
    A plus one on the WR250. Did a few weeks on mine down South this year and they are just such an easy bike to ride in NZ. We don't have thousands of miles of hi-ways but we have more Adventure playground than you can poke a stick at
    I had the seat modified and used Wolfman luggage. Safari Tank and heated grips. On hi-way the bike will wring its nuts off all day at 110 - 120 ks. Yep you have to plan your passing, big deal.
    When you are skipping across that riverbed or muddy track the 250 will have all the enjoyment factor you need.

Thread Information