Thread: TGB Tapo 50cc 2 Stroke

Bike
    TGB Tapo

TGB Tapo 50cc 2 Stroke

I have a 2015 TGB Tapo, 50cc 2 stroke scooter. Awesome little machine. However, the daily commute to work seems to frustrate other road users, as it can only do a maximum of 50km/h. I have done research, and apparently it can be zooped up at a very low cost to get a little more speed out of it. Is this the case, and if so, who can I contact? I am in the Botany/Howick area. Thanks in advance.

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    The cvt can be unrestricted. Remove kick start lever. Take the cover off, (its all dry, no oil) remove the nut from front pulley, ( may require an impact driver to shock the nut loose) remove first half of pully, (belt should be happy to sit there) remove "spacer" which sits between the two halves, reasemble. Be careful the centrifugal weights stay in place behind the second pully half. Enjoy. My daughter's scooter can do 68 kpm after removing the spacer.
    The spacer stops the pully from coming together completely which restricts your speed.
    If you can't do it, most scooter repair outfits would do it. Some scooter brands have performance CDI's available.
    flashg

Bike
    1994 Suzuki Sepia Address

cdi restrictor

yes there could be a spacer in the cvt or a rev limiter in the cdi as i have a Suzuki sepia and have gone through the cvt and the exhaust and found no restrictors. mine goes 55km/h then goes surges back to 50km/h

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosly View Post
    yes there could be a spacer in the cvt or a rev limiter in the cdi as i have a Suzuki sepia and have gone through the cvt and the exhaust and found no restrictors. mine goes 55km/h then goes surges back to 50km/h
    Good point, but I somehow think the Chinese scooters are not that technical. My daughter's one wasn't and hers is a four stroke. Can't see them restricting a two stroke exaust ( that would just be criminal ) it would kill its power, rather than restrict its speed.
    I think its cheap enough to check for a CVT restriction.
    flashg

Bike
    TGB Tapo
    Thank you all for your replies... I am relieved to know something can be done. Will check it out this weekend and see if I can do it myself, else will find someone to assist. Will keep you updated.

Bike
    TGB Tapo
    Read the replies again... my TGB has an electric starter, not kickstart... Would that make a difference as to how to proceed?

Bike
    TGB Tapo
    Quote Originally Posted by flashg View Post
    The cvt can be unrestricted. Remove kick start lever. Take the cover off, (its all dry, no oil) remove the nut from front pulley, ( may require an impact driver to shock the nut loose) remove first half of pully, (belt should be happy to sit there) remove "spacer" which sits between the two halves, reasemble. Be careful the centrifugal weights stay in place behind the second pully half. Enjoy. My daughter's scooter can do 68 kpm after removing the spacer.
    The spacer stops the pully from coming together completely which restricts your speed.
    If you can't do it, most scooter repair outfits would do it. Some scooter brands have performance CDI's available.
    Read the replies again... my TGB has an electric starter, not kickstart... Would that make a difference as to how to proceed?

Bike
    No problem, (makes things easier) just remove the cover on left side, its a long oval shape usually made of plastic ( but not always) and proceed. The air filter on some models might need removing first, because it might be in the way.
    flashg

Bike
    TGB Tapo
    Hahaha... turns out I DO have a kickstarter... Took it to Team NZ Motor Factory and they removed the spacer $50.00 all up. I did not have the tools to do it myself. What a difference!!! Gets to 65 -69 km/h no problem. Hopefully no more frustrated Auckland motorists!!! Thanks for all the advice.

Bike
    You're welcome, enjoy
    flashg

Thread Information