Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch master cylinder Hydrlic clutch cleaning

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Clutch master cylinder Hydrlic clutch cleaning

Hi i just brought a second hand main master cylider for my Vfr 750 i got a repair kit for the slave seals .

still having no luck think there may be gunk in the workings . dryed brake fulid . whats a good cleaner to use .

I cleaned parts in the past been awhile i assume brake cleaner i looked at supercheap but there mentioning brake dust.

I just need something to clean the inner piston .

Thanks in advance

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Yeah, brake cleaner is to be used outside the hydraulic circuit. It's mostly for cleaning brake dust off calipers, pots etc.

What's the issue with your clutch? Soft lever, not separating plates? Hard lever, a beast to work?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Maybe blast it/soak it with some degreaser. I'd then flush the degreaser residue with brake cleaner followed by a flush with brake fluid.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Yeah, brake cleaner is to be used outside the hydraulic circuit. It's mostly for cleaning brake dust off calipers, pots etc.

What's the issue with your clutch? Soft lever, not separating plates? Hard lever, a beast to work?
    always the lever did feeel not right but i cant say for sure because i never had a bike with this set up before.

changed gears fine . but since i replaced the clutch plates fine also but then its sat for nearly 2 years , started it up

And the plates seem to be sticking as even with clutch fully engaged rear wheel whould spin , making a clatter in netural

If i rev it up it goes away. come back on idle well it just stalls. the slave cylinder was leaking in the end though ditto other end too.

hence i replaced the seals in the slave cylinder on the engine.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    a 50/50 blend of brake fluid and elbow grease (and wire brushes)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    a 50/50 blend of brake fluid and elbow grease (and wire brushes)
    Thanks I was trying to bled the system it was getting down to the slave cyclinder then it stoped was getting to the bottom banjo bolt.

but not to the bleed nipple werid . so i undid the top bajo bolt on the master cyclinder . removed it and nothing drained from the res

really werid. so just to try to clean the return valve hole and the actual one for getting the brake fulid moving . i guess a small needle .

yes i cleaned the res before am pretty fussy . i have 3 master cylinders know and two bikes so anyone needs one ;-)

I try again in the morning .

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    This is sounding a bit weird. Banjos undone at both ends and still no joy... Oxidation or crud jamming everything up?

At this point I'd be thinking about taking the entire system off the bike and completely taking it to bits. That's just my 2c though, issues with OCD / perfectionism / curiosity etc.

Bike
    Blog Entries

eek

This is sounding a bit weird. Banjos undone at both ends and still no joy... Oxidation or crud jamming everything up?

At this point I'd be thinking about taking the entire system off the bike and completely taking it to bits. That's just my 2c though, issues with OCD / perfectionism / curiosity etc.
    yeah me also i have one problem some decent circlip pliers internal to get dam circlip out i brought cheap rubbish ones and there usless

dont fit i looked on ebay and there still rubbish ones . so i have been getting local guy bike shop to rebuild the brake master for me.

and getting a rebuild kit . i love to rebuild my own though.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries

that was pretty much what i was assuming needed to be done.

small holes can be violated with one strand plucked out of yer wire brush.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    that was pretty much what i was assuming needed to be done.

small holes can be violated with one strand plucked out of yer wire brush.
    Yes i have to order a rebuild kit . i forget if i done the clutch one before but i see in the garage packaging for clutch reuild kit .

i no i done the brake ones before . sems werid clutch has gone already mind u been 4 years ;-) .

i let you know how i get one . oh for clutch levers as the clutch side has a push rod that fits into the lever . i assume most clutch

levers dont as there cable obpertated ?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Maybe blast it/soak it with some degreaser. I'd then flush the degreaser residue with brake cleaner followed by a flush with brake fluid.
    Thanks Alan

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Just ckean everything with brake clean. Then Get a syringe and push brake fluid in through the slave bleed nipple with the clutch lever pulled in just enough to open the return circuit.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    The last master cylinder and brake issue I fixed was on my wife's ex CBX...couldn't get any pressure to build and remain , no matter how much cleaning, pressurising, poking etc I did. A new piston was fitted and I thought it was all at the banjos or elsewhere where it was failing to keep pressure. Turned out the fluid was getting past the piston in reverse so it ended up needing sleeving...had gone a bit porous the bloke who machined the sleeve said.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Just ckean everything with brake clean. Then Get a syringe and push brake fluid in through the slave bleed nipple with the clutch lever pulled in just enough to open the return circuit.
    Very Good advice Drew thanks mate .i remember doing this before and oh what a pain it took ages to get air out the system.

I just removed the master of the bike filled it with brake fulid then held finger over the end to get air back through the bleed .

Know it getting to the slave cylinder but i misplaced my bleed plastic tubing so being a cheap skate i buy some more from mitre

Ten tommrow morning . and use a jam jar hole punched in the lid . am not paying for kit ten bucks whnen u can make your own ;-)

Yeah thought about pouring some fulid in the bleed hole on the slave but i make a real mess . so i see how it goes .

I have to get some carb clean tommrow as dumb me takes

the carbs of didnt he ;-) so have to have them on to get bike going . still after over a year am sooo glad i get to ride

one my motorbikes again. walking is getting to be a real pain and i cant see me using the pushbike much after ;-)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    The last master cylinder and brake issue I fixed was on my wife's ex CBX...couldn't get any pressure to build and remain , no matter how much cleaning, pressurising, poking etc I did. A new piston was fitted and I thought it was all at the banjos or elsewhere where it was failing to keep pressure. Turned out the fluid was getting past the piston in reverse so it ended up needing sleeving...had gone a bit porous the bloke who machined the sleeve said.
    Good god i know right i have no idea why clutch is worse than the brake side but it is . never mind once its done its done.

It does make me which was just like most bikes a dam cable ;-) got the engine out the cbr 900 rr dumb me takes the gearbox out

Just beacuse was making a whine . i buying second hand unit and build a new one from both mine and the other .

Thread Information