Thread: 2-3 month trip from Australia, need some advice!

Bike
    Honda cd250u 1989

2-3 month trip from Australia, need some advice!

Hey guys!

I'm planning a trip to New Zealand from mid December to mid to late February from Australia. Potentially landing in Christchurch.

I'm thinking of buying a 250 - 450cc secondhand motorbike and my budget is $2000 - $3000 AUS. I got around Tassie on my 250cc just fine but would prefer to have something slightly stronger I guess, at least a 350cc if I can.
    I do feel apprehensive about the whole legislation and insurance process though, can you get short term registration? I can only find things like 6 month reg but that's too long for me.
    And also not sure which insurance companies are good/ cheap, I'd probably only get third party for such a short period.

I'd have to grab panniers and all that kind of stuff too, I know I could probably hire it but it might be cheaper to just buy them. Just a student so I'm trying to do this trip I've been wanting to do but for a relatively affordable price, I will be camping a lot and staying in hostels.

That whole part of organising the buying, registration and insurance stuff is the only thing that really makes me nervous because I don't know how different it is to how they do it in Aus, but I'm sure it's a bit more lenient than here because people go to nz specifically to ride motorbike and do tours.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you!!

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    There was a recent thread started by a German guy doing a similar trip, heaps of advice in there re: purchase, rego, ins, etc.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09

Thread Information