Thread: ACC / Medical and Health Insurance

Bike
    VTR1000

ACC / Medical and Health Insurance

Hey Team,

Anyone out there in the know if it has ever been put forward to govt that should a person be covered by private medical cover and health insurance there ACC levy’s be waived or decreased?

I know small business owners can do this and was wondering if this has been brought up in the past?

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Why?

What would you achieve?

Bike
    VTR1000
    Would bring the cost of rego down for the individual. Since ACC isnt paying for medical expense it makes no sense to be charged for it

IMO anyyway. A flow on effect would be less charges to ACC for motorcycle accidents brining down the cost of rego for those who dont have private cover down, in theory anyway

Bike
    VTR1000
    Wouldn’t see it as an alternative, more a supplement to the system

Bike
    VTR1000
    I’ve got private cover already, so in the event that I bin it (again) that will cover my medical expense rather than ACC. I don’t mind paying a something towards ACC encase someone else in the motorcycling community gets munted and doesn’t have the insurance but it seems unfair to pay the full amount to a pot that I no longer receive any benefit for. It would kind of be like paying into a fund that covered pilots in a plane crash from levy’s that are collected from car drivers

Unless I’m way off on how the rego fee's are structured

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schematica View Post
    I’ve got private cover already, so in the event that I bin it (again) that will cover my medical expense rather than ACC. I don’t mind paying a something towards ACC encase someone else in the motorcycling community gets munted and doesn’t have the insurance but it seems unfair to pay the full amount to a pot that I no longer receive any benefit for. It would kind of be like paying into a fund that covered pilots in a plane crash from levy’s that are collected from car drivers

Unless I’m way off on how the rego fee's are structured

Do you know that your private medical insurance is going to pay for what is an accident?

I'd be interested to know what they say if you asked them...

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    You might be better off reading the fine print of your health insurance policy first. They would typically only cover you for things that are not already covered by another insurance for the same claim. In other words, if ACC is paying already then the private health insurance would cover cover the remaining exposure. Not the other way around. Its different for companies though because arrangements dont work the same as individuals.

Bike
    VTR1000
    I hope so lol, I made a point of letting them know that I rode motorcycles and have had accidents in the past. They listed it as a hazardous activity that I partake in and that they are happy to cover medical expense in the event of a motorcycle accident. So long as its not attempted suicide or something silly like that

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Do you know that your private medical insurance is going to pay for what is an accident?

I'd be interested to know what they say if you asked them...
    In NZ typically the private insurance would say claim ACC first, and what's left we'll cover for accidents.

Bike
    VTR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    You might be better off reading the fine print of your health insurance policy first. They would typically only cover you for things that are not already covered by another insurance for the same claim. In other words, if ACC is paying already then the private health insurance would cover cover the remaining exposure. Not the other way around. Its different for companies though because arrangements dont work the same as individuals.

Thanks Jeeper, pretty sure you are right now that I think about it. Although if it was the other way around that could be great for the community as a whole, right?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Schematica View Post
    I hope so lol, I made a point of letting them know that I rode motorcycles and have had accidents in the past. They listed it as a hazardous activity that I partake in and that they are happy to cover medical expense in the event of a motorcycle accident. So long as its not attempted suicide or something silly like that
    Is that your health insurance or life insurance? Health insurance never asked me about my activities and mode of transportation. They were only interested in my medical history and any known pre-existing conditions.

Bike
    VTR1000
    I brought it up, just wanted to be sure that encase something happened it would be covered. But yeah, they asked if I took part in Hazardous activity’s and I jokingly said motorcycling. Next thing I knew it was on the list

Thread Information