Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle restricted test

Bike
    bike

Motorcycle restricted test

What is the difference between the regular restricted test (which you have to wait 6 months after completing leaners to attend), which is called the "Practical test option," and the CBTA test (which you don't have to wait 6 months after completing learners to attend), called "CBTA option"

I've seen the cbta test being conducted, is it similar to the practical test option? Do they just allow more faults?

What sort of things are tested differently?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I finish my CBTA 6R tests near a VTNZ office, so if someone is successful, they can take the cert I give them and upgrade their licence straight away.

The VTNZ is near the end of the course anyway, so why not do that.

Anyway, I was debriefing a bloke a few weeks back about a successful ride, and a testing officer from the VTNZ stopped and asked what I was doing. A fairly long chat ensued, wherein the bloke said that he thinks it's sham that the old test still exists. He thinks the CBTA standard is higher than the standard, and turns out better riders.

Now, I don't conduct tests for VTNZ. You need a 6O endorsement for that. I have a 6I. I can't speak for their system. But I know that passing a CBTA test requires a systematic approach a la roadcraft. At least, as much as can be expected in a short time.

Happy to discuss, if you have specific questions.

Bike
    bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I finish my CBTA 6R tests near a VTNZ office, so if someone is successful, they can take the cert I give them and upgrade their licence straight away.

Anyway, I was debriefing a bloke a few weeks back about a successful ride, and a testing officer from the VTNZ stopped and asked what I was doing. A fairly long chat ensued, wherein the bloke said that he thinks it's sham that the old test still exists. He thinks the CBTA standard is higher than the standard, and turns out better riders.

Now, I don't conduct tests for VTNZ. You need a 6O endorsement for that. I have a 6I. I can't speak for their system. But I know that passing a CBTA test requires a systematic approach a la roadcraft. At least, as much as can be expected in a short time.

I havn't bothered with licensing after I got my leaners because I only ride on the track, but since I have the easier option available, is there anything specific I need to remember as opposed to the cbta test? Because I guess for them it would be safe to assume im shit because I chose this opposed to the cbta; so they would look for specific faults?

I'm just going for the vtnz test to shorten the margin of error

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    The question should be can you learn anything while also getting my license.

rather than just getting a result

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

Whats the 6O endorsement Pete? Cant say Ive heard of that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Whats the 6O endorsement Pete? Cant say Ive heard of that one.
    Testing officers have an "O" endorsement.

Instructors have an "I".

Apparently you aren't allowed to have both. Conflict of interest.

Interestingly, the testing officers can do motorcycle tests without holding a motorcycle licence. True fact. When I was a baby traffic cop I had to get a truck licence before I could do truck tests. Seems things have changed.

Another funny thing is the CBTA system contains assessments, not tests. That way an instructor can do the assessments without having an "O" endorsement, as they are not tests.

Semantics. Gotta love them.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by kawa64 View Post
    I havn't bothered with licensing after I got my leaners because I only ride on the track, but since I have the easier option available, is there anything specific I need to remember as opposed to the cbta test? Because I guess for them it would be safe to assume im shit because I chose this opposed to the cbta; so they would look for specific faults?

I'm just going for the vtnz test to shorten the margin of error
    The old system has been around for 30 or so years. It's evolved, but isn't terribly motorcycle specific.

CBTA has only been here for 3 years or so. One day it might be the only system, but some towns don't have a CBTA assessor, so the old system is the only one available.

I can't really speak for the old system, as it stands today.

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    From the (paraphrased) point of view of the person I did both Bronze Ride Forever and Restricted CBTA (+ training session immediately prior), one benefit of CBTA is if you make some sort of mistake that means you fail instantly, the assessor has the opportunity to turn it into a training session for you, vs the nzta "you have failed, return to base."
    Not sure whether other assessors do that, but it seemed very reasonable, making the most of a paid-for situation.

For me, I chose CTBA as a learning/training experience as much as about getting my next licence. I prefer the feedback and the ability to improve. The time benefit is 1) you can sit your Restricted via CBTA immediately after getting your learners (no 6-month wait) and you can sit your Full 12 months on, not 18. I believe you need the riding time and experience on the road, so shouldn't rush through for the sake of it.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    From the (paraphrased) point of view of the person I did both Bronze Ride Forever and Restricted CBTA (+ training session immediately prior), one benefit of CBTA is if you make some sort of mistake that means you fail instantly, the assessor has the opportunity to turn it into a training session for you, vs the nzta "you have failed, return to base."
    Not sure whether other assessors do that, but it seemed very reasonable, making the most of a paid-for situation.
    CBTA assessors are instructors. Testing officers at the AA or VTNZ are testing officers.

Every CBTA assessor I know (and I know a few) cares as much about the learning as the passing.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    I would rather have the assessor make a judgement on my competence than a testing officer. My experience so far is that assessor tend to be human, and testers not so.

Bike
    bike
    They are both the exact same format though right? As in you have a radio headset and a tester/assessor follows you around for x time giving you directions and not driving around an obstacle course like the test before applying for leaners.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    They are both the exact same format though right? As in you have a radio headset and a tester/assessor follows you around for x time giving you directions and not driving around an obstacle course like the test before applying for leaners.
    As I mentioned, I can't speak for the standard test.

I know that when you do a CBTA test, you are expected to ride to a CBTA standard. Which is very difficult to do without attending the suggested ACC Ride Forever course. It's hard to know what you are being assessed on without doing the course to find out.

That's the hook of the time discount you get for doing a CBTA assessment. It almost makes you do a Ride Forever course. Call it a bribe, call ity what you like, I've yet to have someone attend a course they haven't gained a few things from.

I just don't know what standard is applied by the standard test.

Bike
    97 CRM 250 AR
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post

For me, I chose CTBA as a learning/training experience as much as about getting my next licence. I prefer the feedback and the ability to improve. The time benefit is 1) you can sit your Restricted via CBTA immediately after getting your learners (no 6-month wait) and you can sit your Full 12 months on, not 18. I believe you need the riding time and experience on the road, so shouldn't rush through for the sake of it.
    This is why I'm going to do the bronze course and restricted CBTA with Dan Ornsby's school. I don't want to just progress my licencing, I want to be a better rider.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Hayden - Evidence that even the mediocre can achieve great things.

((U+C+I) x (10-S))/20 x A x 1/(1-sin(F/10))

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    My CBTA Restricted test was just over an hour of riding. Definitely not an obstacle course, we would have covered 50-80 kms in that hour (I didn't keep track).

Thread Information