Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy fixes / bodges

Bike
    KTM530EXC

Crazy fixes / bodges

I wonder what ideas people have come up with when fixing bikes?

I had a DR500 and lacked the special tool for undoing the fork bolt to change the seals. I removed the C rings, filled the forks with oil to the brim, and put them (one at a time) between two walls (on the floor) and pressed them with a car jack. It was a bit messy but it worked. Seals popped right out.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Another bodge ... when younger I lacked tools.

So, how to undo the pesky crank nut to get the flywheel off to change the points etc?

Easy, put rope down the plug hole, carefully let it coil as you put it in. Then, when you turn the crank nut the piston can't move. Only did it on small single cylinder bikes. Never had a problem. Never bent a rod or damaged a piston.

I have a Makita electric impact wrench now and use it with torque sticks for tightening. It is ACE. I compared the torque settings with a standard torque wrench on my car wheel nuts and the torque sticks are pretty accurate.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    When I was young and broke I had to resort to suchlike fixes.

On both my GT750 waterbuckets there was a frightening tendency to wallow in sweeping corners. I decided to throw money at the problem. Literally I packed 8 x 10c pieces ($1.60 was 1/50th of my weeks wages) on top of each fork spring, and while i was at it bought my first Haynes manual, fork oil and new seals. It was impossible to do the cap up by hand though so dug out an old "Record" window sash cramp from the back of my Dad's garage. I could then wind the cap on under controlled pressure. Used many times over the years for similar tasks.

Bikes long gone but still have the sash cramp which I eventually inherited.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    an empty lion brown can and large hose clamp make for an impromptu piston ring compressor

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    You drink lion brown?-Sheesh!

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    You drink lion brown?-Sheesh!
    No he doesnt - he uses them to compress piston rings.

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Squirted CRC down the sparkplug hole to get the motor to fire after the bike had not been riden for a few months. While it worked for me others on here have said it would damage your motor although I have read on another site such a fix can be done. Maybe it depends on the bike if damage is done.
    Come on now - you do yourself a disservice. We know you installed puppies to the bottom of the bike to lower the centre of gravity to help you get around corners at the recommended speed......

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    As a teen someone gave me a Suzuki T125 Stinger. Mice had chewed the wires. Didn't have much money so I rewired it with black wire - it was the cheapest. I got carried away and replaced every wire with black wire and house electrical connectors. Because I had done it myself I knew how it worked, but I pitied the next guy. I have never been afraid of electrics since.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Riding to Cornwall on my trusty Suzuki GP100 following my mate on a CB125. He ran over a piece of leaf spring and holed his crankcase ... oil everywhere ... right next to a motor shop. 1 inch hole. The guy there looked at it, cleaned it up, and made some of his personal mix - iron filings and an epoxy type glue - plus and inch squareish piece of sheet metal. We could not believe it - and an hour or two later - it held. He charged us nothing, saying it probably would not work. We rode on and that bike did many more miles.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Rough bastards.

Whats wrong with balled up chicken wire stuffed down a exhaust for 'muffling' ............

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Rough bastards.

Whats wrong with balled up chicken wire stuffed down a exhaust for 'muffling' ............
    Mufflers are for pussies.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Only the noisy ones

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    Only the noisy ones
    noisy pussy?

might want to get that checked out...

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    2 stroke exhaust cleaning

Take it off, stuff a potatoe in one end, stand it up and fill it with a caustic soda solution, leave over night - 24 hours. The next day it will zing like a new zorst.

Bike
    Speed Triple
    I still can't think of anything that tops this.

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...bility-Edition
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mini-dmntd.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	332859  

Thread Information