Thread: Hyosung GT250R wont start!

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R

Unhappy Hyosung GT250R wont start!

Hey Guys,

I have got a Hysong GT250R (2007) - Has been in good condition, done around 59,000km so far. Has been regularly used up until two months ago including a full service by authorized dealers after which there's only been very minimal activity - one was a 90km one day ride, and then 3 or 4 small 15km rides. The bike has been well covered preventing it from rain and occasional hail. Now, started the bike two nights ago, took it out - no issues at all. Last night, tried to start again, and then - absolutely no response.

So, I turn on the ignition, lights show up on the display, indicators work, headlights work, horns work, turned off the kill switch, put the bike in neutral, take the side stand off and press the ignition - absolutely nothing happens. tries it in gear, same thing. have got enough petrol in the bike, and the battery is only two years old - and was in really good condition considering the amount of usage its had over the last two years (never gone flat). Now, I tried to push start the bike and after several attempts, it worked - I kept it running for 15 minutes on neutral after which it automatically turned off, and now when I try the ignition again, the same thing - nothing happens.

My bike knowledge is probably of beginner level, but I have heard much about this neutral switch causing issues (due to which sometimes my bike don't recognize am in neutral when it clearly is). Also after the recent service, the mechanic had turned off the side stand switch (the bike would start if it's in gear with the side stand on), and I asked him to turn in on coz I find that safer - he said it might have some issues in future.

I wanna see if I can fix it myself rather than paying 200$ to a mechanic, If you guys can provide some help, point out obvious things that I should check/rule out or redirect me to some articles that can help, it would be amazing. Thanks a lot for your valuable time - much appreciated. (and really sorry for the long post)

Have a nice day.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Turn the kill switch off.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Turn the kill switch off.
    yes. sorry, i meant 'turned off the kill switch'. done that already.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Borrow some jumper leads and a car. If it starts, it's the battery. They do just die.

Check if its screws aren't loose.
    Once it's running borrow a multimeter and on volts check it is putting out about 14 to 14.5 volts and no more all when revved to say 3000rpm.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R
    hey man, thanks for the reply.I tried jump starting it, but same thing. absolutely nothing happens. I tried with the side stand kicked up, in neutral and in gear, with clutch lever pulled. but n response. the battery does show 12.5 volts when the key is turned on, so i guess its retaining the charge. am thinking it might be one of the switches - especially side stand switch.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Get yourself a multimeter from somewhere, trace the loom back from the switch to find the connector, test the switch? Best way to confirm / deny that the side stand switch is the problem.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    OK that sounds good. Clutch or sidestand switch. You could try bridge each.
    I messed around with a sidestand switch intermittent issue. Turned out it was the clutch lever switch.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manuviswan View Post
    hey man, thanks for the reply.I tried jump starting it, but same thing. absolutely nothing happens. I tried with the side stand kicked up, in neutral and in gear, with clutch lever pulled. but n response. the battery does show 12.5 volts when the key is turned on, so i guess its retaining the charge. am thinking it might be one of the switches - especially side stand switch.
    Try a push/hill start. If it starts ... it will be the solenoid or starter motor.

Just make sure the kill switch is on RUN.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R, Suzuki sv650
    Try the solenoid, had a similar problem on a friends old bike and i crossed a wire between the 2 points and it started the bike like normal. Your battery positive will run straight into it.

Thread Information