Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: On Road Costs

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Different dealers charge different ORC. Simple way of doing it is advertising price plus orc for easy comparison.

Cash is king? Bullshit. Finance is far better for the dealer, especially in second hand market.

Bike
    1989 Honda Bros

eek It's all relative

If I had $ 20 000 I wouldn't worry about $ 500 but since I only have $ 3 000 it's a pain.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Smoke View Post
    If I had $ 20 000 I wouldn't worry about $ 500 but since I only have $ 3 000 it's a pain.
    Understable, but initial registration fee includes more than just licensing fee (i.e. the rego). Initial registration will have a plate price as well for example. It may also include inspection and first WoF. Worth asking for the breakdown from the dealer.

Bike
    Looking at buying a new Suzuki 150 for under $3000 but on road costs are +$500 and servicing has do be done at the dealer during warranty at $250 at the time. Is there a way to avoid the on road costs and the expensive servicing or are these costs standard?
    $250 for service? I just noticed that. My first service at the dealer for the XSR 700 was a lot less than that. Seems excessive. Shop around definitely.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Yeah ya would because there would be a R or S model at $22,500, plus $500 makes it $23k and too much of a stretch from you original blown budget of $20k

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    And chicks dig that bar between their thighs when you dub them.
    My motivation for cycling summed up right there.

Bike
    2013 Tiger 1050SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Understable, but initial registration fee includes more than just licensing fee (i.e. the rego). Initial registration will have a plate price as well for example. It may also include inspection and first WoF. Worth asking for the breakdown from the dealer.
    I did just that when I couldn't understand how the on road "COSTS" were $580 for a 400cc motorcycle.

I asked:
    Hi,
    $580? is that for 12 months? NZTA lists it as $471.78
    and this is what I got back:
    The $580 is made up of 6 months registration, WOF, fuel and also internal freight within NZ.

Lets look at that a bit. 6 Months rego is $271.09. 17 litres of fuel $34 (at the time) wof $35. Internal freight they can get stuffed, Noel Leeming don't charge me for getting the fridge to their shop FFS. so we have 340.09 that's 239.91 of extra profit on the "on road costs"

Not good enough. it is about time that all road vehicles were listed at their drive away price, no exceptions.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Its a rip off that bike dealers expect you to pay for warranty service when its free when you buy a car. Maybe if you offer cash the dealer may throw it in for free or free registration. Years ago I got free registration and servicing if I paid cash.
    A better way to go would be to perhaps put the retail price of the bike up to cover servicing and registration as I am sure that would be how its funded with car dealers that don't state registration and servicing are additional costs.
    Make up your mind. And scooters of this value have incredibly small margins. There's literally nothing to give away in them. So fuck off with your cash.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Make up your mind. And scooters of this value have incredibly small margins. There's literally nothing to give away in them. So fuck off with your cash.
    $500 margin on a $3,000 item for dealer to absorb? I agree, margins are not what people think they are. I say, customer is not always right. Business has a right to profit and be paid for their effort.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    $500 margin on a $3,000 item for dealer to absorb? I agree, margins are not what people think they are. I say, customer is not always right. Business has a right to profit and be paid for their effort.
    By the time you assemble the thing, fill it with fuel etc, there's often nothing left. But customers more often than not expect you to not make any money. It's how society has evolved.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    It would be easier if they included all the costs when advertising a new bike.
    If you can read ... you would have noticed the ... + on road costs just after the stated retail price.

Even if you buy an import car now days ... on road costs usually need to be paid by the buyer.

The lower "Full Cost" price looks better without the extra costs being added. these extras are commonly referred to as being in "The small print" ....

All said and done ... nothing new or unusual. Get over it ... and either buy it ... or not. You are free to choose ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cadium View Post
    ... Not good enough. it is about time that all road vehicles were listed at their drive away price, no exceptions.
    In the first post of this thread the OP told us what the FULL cost of buying and getting the bike on the road was. Buy a calculator and work it out yourself ... or do you need to have that explained as well .. ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Ok, would you be happy with $4,495 as a ride away price with 4 services included, 6 months rego, and 3 year WoF?

OR $3,000 + $500 + ($250x4) = $4,500

Be careful what you wish for. I prefer costs are clearly broken down and my options explained to me. Lets me decide what I want to do. I don't like all inclusive pricing.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by cadium View Post
    I did just that when I couldn't understand how the on road "COSTS" were $580 for a 400cc motorcycle.

I asked:
    Hi,
    $580? is that for 12 months? NZTA lists it as $471.78
    and this is what I got back:
    The $580 is made up of 6 months registration, WOF, fuel and also internal freight within NZ.

Lets look at that a bit. 6 Months rego is $271.09. 17 litres of fuel $34 (at the time) wof $35. Internal freight they can get stuffed, Noel Leeming don't charge me for getting the fridge to their shop FFS. so we have 340.09 that's 239.91 of extra profit on the "on road costs"

Not good enough. it is about time that all road vehicles were listed at their drive away price, no exceptions.
    remember the bike arrives at the shop in a crate so someone has to uncrate it and do the PDI and maybe some final assembly and so forth. sounds like two hundy right there.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Or alternativly you could ask what the unregistered and no servicing price is and get a discount off the "Full Price" You would think under the Fair Trading Act providing the vehicle is not left to run out of fluids oil etc, if anything goes wrong the service should be free under that act.
    Actually FTA does not talk about regular servicing being responsibility of the seller. Heatpump needs servicing regularly, who pays for that? The buyer. FTA covers manufacturing defects, not routine servicing.

Using the incorrect specification fluids can also cause damage too. Simply implying that running out of oil is buyers responsibility but any other engine damage from using wrong oil type is somehow sellers responsibility is irrational. You have obviously never run or worked at a commercial business.

Thread Information