Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WOF Question?

Bike
    1987 Honda GB500TT

WOF Question?

Random question, my local VTNZ says they only do WOFs on bikes up to 250cc because they say that is all they are qualified to do.

I thought the 250cc rule vanished with LAMS... anybody know if there is a different rule for warrants?

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Regardless of LAMS,they should have amongst there employees a fully licenced rider-not that they ride far anyway.Often with a classic bike like yours they shy away for fear they might drop it.Find someone other than VTNZ,this has been my experience with classic bikes.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    I think you'll find that it is their choice and not their lack of qualifications

They must be lacking in skills/confidence and may have had an insurance claim, following a mishap.

My VTNZ lets me do all the riding and testing. They just watch and take notes

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    I don't have an answer to that but I just want to say it's a dumb rule. I've had lots of warrants from different places and no testing officer has ever ridden my bikes. Makes the rule pointless and it's a pain to have to ring around different places every time just to find out 'if the bloke with the license is there today'
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Whoops. I didn't mean to do a 'Friday Rant'...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Funny. I took a troll bike for a WoF at VTNZ in Tuam Street some years back.

Little Asian due was the only one there with a bike licence, so he got the job.

I sat and watched him struggle to even start the bike, let alone test the brakes. Had one foot on the ground. Second wouldn't reach.

Funniest was watching him try to test the horn. So many buttons on a troll bike, he managed to start lights and siren before he found the horn.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    from what I can understand, they can only WOF bikes they are legally allowed to ride. If their bike WOF guy has to ride LAMS, then they can only WOF LAMS...

Go to a different VTNZ? I mean.. the further away it is, the better the ride right?
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by iYRe View Post
    from what I can understand, they can only WOF bikes they are legally allowed to ride. If their bike WOF guy has to ride LAMS, then they can only WOF LAMS...

Go to a different VTNZ? I mean.. the further away it is, the better the ride right?
    But LAMS can be up to 660cc, 250cc is long gone.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    I think you'll find that it is their choice and not their lack of qualifications
    Yep ... I think it's company policy rather than regulations.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    But LAMS can be up to 660cc, 250cc is long gone.

Seems weird.. VTNZ manukau - both branches do WOF - I will be getting one tomorrow
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    I don't have an answer to that but I just want to say it's a dumb rule. I've had lots of warrants from different places and no testing officer has ever ridden my bikes.
    Well then they're doing a shit W.O.F. Take it to a motorcyclist that understands bikes & takes it around the block ,for your own safety.
    I have been a bike wof inspector (amongst a pile of other things) constantly for the past 25 years.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Agreed, it's bullshit. I've taken the 900ss to my local VTNZ and got a WOF without any issues. That said, I did have to arrange the one guy at the station who was licensed for motorcycle WOFs to do the test.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    In the last 10 years I've had just two motorcyclists refuse to allow me to test ride their bikes.

They got told to fuck off somewhere else.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    In the last 10 years I've had just two motorcyclists refuse to allow me to test ride their bikes.

They got told to fuck off somewhere else.
    Winners all round

cassina and akzle

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    That used to be the way with my WOF place as all they needed to do was just watch me do a braking test. There must have been a rule change to prohibit this but I dont know how demonstrating braking can be faked which must have been the reason for it.
    Did they sell tickets?

READ AND UDESTAND

Thread Information