Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Poverty measure ... doesn't make sense to me

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckylegs View Post
    Are you suggesting they should be greatful for their lot in life
    Who do they blame for "their lot in life" ... ??? The Government .. ??? Obviously it was nothing THEY did (or didn't) do to put themselves in the position they are in ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    The country was better off in the days of pommy union fuckwits as you put it as major news of poverty and homelessness in NZ were non existent back then.
    Back when the minimum wage was around $7-8 per hour you mean ...

Bike
    Yo momma
    The country was better off in the days of pommy union fuckwits as you put it as major news of poverty and homelessness in NZ were non existent back then.
    You mean the days of no internet, twitter, FB, cell phones and only 2 TV channels. News (especially bad news) travels a shit load faster these days sista.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    But there were skill based
    "award" pay rates above it but today the minimum wage has become the award pay rate for many low tier jobs.
    It's almost like unskilled jobs that anybody can do aren't paid well... It's almost like when you've got a large supply and low demand, the price goes down... It's almost like skilled jobs that very few people can do pay more...

Today
    when you go for an interview they ask you how much money do you want rather than say we pay award rates or an amount above. I remember years ago in job ads some employers would state we pay above award rates.
    I give them my upper and my lower limits and have walked out of at least one interview where their upper limit for the role was $10k short of my lower limit.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    The days of affordable housing and no poverty.
    No Poverty?

By what standard?

The poor today are INFINITELY better off than the poor of 50 years ago.

Hell - do you remember when owning a Colour TV or being able to travel overseas by Air was the sole domain of the super rich?

This line of argument I am seeing more and more often, to the point where I'm beginning to think it isn't just rose-tinted wishful thinking, but actual deliberate deception.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    What annoys me about the interviews today is that the interview can actually go quite well and they only ask you about money at the end wasting both their and your time if they dont like what you say you want. At one interview I asked if they had a salary band so I could give them a ball park figure but they would not even tell me the salary band and I ended up guessing wrong anyway. Industrial law reform is needed so the employer is forced to name an amount first and not the jobseeker.
    What you have written makes zero sense.

The potential Employer is under no obligation to give you a Salary estimate.

If they refuse to disclose, then you are under no obligation to take the job.

And you do know that you can ask upfront what the Salary expectations are? Especially if the job advert was vague and didn't specify.

"Excuse me, just before we continue too much further - My Salary expectations are in the $95-120k range, your advert popped up in my search filters but it was a little vague in this regard. Is this in line with what you are expecting for this oppertunity?"

And even before then, where I've applied for jobs that had vague wording as to the nature of the role, I've had employers come back to me and ask what my expectations are in regards to Salary - before the interview stage (in one instance it was because they were actually wanting a more entry level position, which I was waaaaay over qualified for)

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Pommy Union Leaders and Award Wages....that brings back memories, can't say I miss those days.

" out the gate for 48" ( in a Belfast accent...yeah I know not really Pommy)

I ask the salary range on the first phone call, saves a lot of time.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    You mean the days of no internet, twitter, FB, cell phones and only 2 TV channels. News (especially bad news) travels a shit load faster these days sista.
    Back then there were no smashed avacado sandwiches either. Back then expectations were basic, and consumption reflected that. My first cellphone was a work tool for work use only. Now a 6 year old child has to have a smartphone, otherwise they are considered below the poverty line.

I didn't need a car of my own, I was happy to share family car. Now every 16 year old expects wheels of some sort from the parents or the State. Whats wrong with walking or taking the bus.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    But there were skill based "award" pay rates above it
    Yep ... some people made as much as $10.49 per hour ...

but today the minimum wage has become the award pay rate for many low tier jobs.
    Simply because ... they're not fucking allowed to pay less to useless lazy pricks that don't want to work ...

Today when you go for an interview they ask you how much money do you want rather than say we pay award rates or an amount above.
    It gives those employers a giggle ... with the ridiculous sums asked for. But those qualified ... and with experience to match ... usually get what they ask for. If not more ...

I remember years ago in job ads some employers would state we pay above award rates.
    Yep ... 49 cents above minimum wage ...

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Two channels? I remember when it was only one. TV2 (known as South Pacific Television) didn't start broadcasting until 1975.

Bike
    Yo momma
    What annoys me about the interviews today is that the interview can actually go quite well and they only ask you about money at the end wasting both their and your time if they dont like what you say you want. At one interview I asked if they had a salary band so I could give them a ball park figure but they would not even tell me the salary band and I ended up guessing wrong anyway. Industrial law reform is needed so the employer is forced to name an amount first and not the jobseeker.
    it's a game and you need the nerve to stick to your guns.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Two channels? I remember when it was only one. TV2 (known as South Pacific Television) didn't start broadcasting until 1975.
    Me too grand dad. One black and white channel with Philip Sherry doing the news.
    We were the first family in Bulls to get a 26" color TV. Philips K9 it was. lasted for nearly 30 years, actually became a bit of a family heirloom.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    it's a game and you need the nerve to stick to your guns.
    She ain't got any! Guns or the nerve to stick to her knitting!@#$%
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    There are people going hungry and living in exceptionally shite conditions and you dumb fuckers think they deserve it? If the poor didn't exist, the value of the $ would be absolute pants. Maybees you should learn how things work, externalities n all, coz ya'll are about as far from the truth as possible as is evidenced by your ignorant diatribe. There's plenty of food and resources to go around, the poor simply don't have the money. The average household spends 17% of its budget on food. 17% of $1000 is ever so slightly less than 17% of $100. End of story. Anything other than that is some form of false moral narrative that's been poured down your throat by your parents who also swallowed the same shit from their parents etc... "Insanity: Doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein. You dumb fucks don't learn anything, because your mum told you. Then again, at least we know that your parents were twats too and really shouldn't be surprised by the bullshit you spout as knowledge. Dumb fucks.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post
    There are people going hungry and living in exceptionally shite conditions and you dumb fuckers think they deserve it? If the poor didn't exist, the value of the $ would be absolute pants. Maybees you should learn how things work, externalities n all, coz ya'll are about as far from the truth as possible as is evidenced by your ignorant diatribe. There's plenty of food and resources to go around, the poor simply don't have the money. The average household spends 17% of its budget on food. 17% of $1000 is ever so slightly less than 17% of $100. End of story. Anything other than that is some form of false moral narrative that's been poured down your throat by your parents who also swallowed the same shit from their parents etc... "Insanity: Doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein. You dumb fucks don't learn anything, because your mum told you. Then again, at least we know that your parents were twats too and really shouldn't be surprised by the bullshit you spout as knowledge. Dumb fucks.
    I could be poor too, I felt the inconvenience of that far outweighed the inconvenience of working most days for the last 35 years.
    Although nobody goes in to bat for old tired pricks that worked too hard.

Thread Information