Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: LAMS restricted vs full power ecu

  1. #16
    Join Date
    13th April 2018 - 20:36
    Bike
    2015 CBR1000rr
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by bwyatt View Post
    Hi, im on my restricted and was wondering if i was to purchase a full power sv650 whether i would be able to make it lams approved by swapping the ecu or would it also require a new registration etc?
    The SV650 has been around for ages, are you looking at the new model?

    Just buy the LAMS version dude. You won't notice a difference until high up in the rev range anyway and they aren't that powerful unrestricted either. When I looked at one, the difference was like 20hp, but a learner won't even use the 50hp of the restricted version.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    7th January 2014 - 14:45
    Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Location
    Not Gulf Harbour Either
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The unrestricted version is 85 HP. The restricted version is 83.5 HP. The change is achieved by installing a modified ECM (Engine Control Module) that has most of the upper band of available engine revs mapped to lower power output. The shortfall in HP is to get under the specified power to weight ratio as specified in LAM's requirements.

    The first rule of (any) claimed engine horsepower is that the horsepower being developed is not constant throughout the Rev range. The production of horsepower increases as the RPM of the engines increases. Maximum HP is usually achieved at or near red-line RPM. As such ... ride ANY (Restricted) LAM's motorcycle at or near red line RPM ... and you will never notice any difference.

    As such ... the ONE and a HALF extra horsepower on the full power model is barely worth the effort. You might notice an extra 1 and a half HP on a GN250 .. but with 83.5 to play with ... whats the problem ... ??? In my youth I rode a Honda CB750F1 ... rated at 69 HP. 12.5 HP less than learners are allowed today ... and it's learners that are moaning because they're "Restricted" in the HP that's available to them ... Go figure .. !!!

    Thus ... your claim of DOUBLE the horsepower is COMPLETE AND TOTAL BULLSHIT ... !!!
    https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...orcycles/lams/

    less than 150 kilowatts per tonne
    83.5 HP = 62 KW
    Kerb Weight = 241 KG

    241/1000 * 62 KW = 257 KW/tonne.

    Clearly, if it's got 83.5 HP, it's not LAMS approved.

    The actual HP output is between 30-40 - same calculation:

    35 HP = 26 KW

    241/1000 * 26 KW = 107 KW/tonne.

    Clearly, LAMS approved.

    35 is close to half of 83.5.

    Would you like to retract the above statement?
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

  3. #18
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,067
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...orcycles/lams/



    83.5 HP = 62 KW
    Kerb Weight = 241 KG

    241/1000 * 62 KW = 257 KW/tonne.

    Clearly, if it's got 83.5 HP, it's not LAMS approved.

    The actual HP output is between 30-40 - same calculation:

    35 HP = 26 KW

    241/1000 * 26 KW = 107 KW/tonne.

    Clearly, LAMS approved.

    35 is close to half of 83.5.

    Would you like to retract the above statement?


    NOPE ... At legal speeds ... it cannot be developing 83.5 HP At red line it will be, the higher the revs ... the more HP it develops. And I quoted the specs for the GSX650f and the GSX650FU. The GSX650FU is on the LAM's list.
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    7th January 2014 - 14:45
    Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Location
    Not Gulf Harbour Either
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    NOPE ... At legal speeds ... it cannot be developing 83.5 HP At red line it will be, the higher the revs ... the more HP it develops. And I quoted the specs for the GSX650f and the GSX650FU. The GSX650FU is on the LAM's list.
    Have you ridden one?

    I rode one for several Years, you're talking crap.

    Can you show your source for the GSX650FU specs? When you rev the engine passed around the 7,000 RPM mark, the ECU retards the fuel mixture - the Engine revs higher, but DOESN'T generate any extra Power.

    Can you point to the part in the Legislation where it stipulates 'At Legal speeds'?:

    http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regul...25_se&p=1&sr=0

    Edit: There's a whole heap of references floating around the internet to the LAMS ECU putting out 33 HP, which makes a lot of sense - since 33 HP is the restriction for Learners in the UK.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

  5. #20
    Join Date
    27th November 2012 - 11:25
    Bike
    '16 xtz125, '03 fireblade
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    967
    Blog Entries
    13
    buy an old 2nd/3rd/4th hand bike on the lams list, ride the shit out of it, obtain full, sell old bike if you need the $$$ if not you are probably in love with it sitll and know it in an out.... buy another non-lams bike for those time when you feel 250+kph is what you want........... profit.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,067
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...orcycles/lams/



    83.5 HP = 62 KW
    Kerb Weight = 241 KG

    241/1000 * 62 KW = 257 KW/tonne.

    Clearly, if it's got 83.5 HP, it's not LAMS approved.

    The actual HP output is between 30-40 - same calculation:

    35 HP = 26 KW

    241/1000 * 26 KW = 107 KW/tonne.

    Clearly, LAMS approved.

    35 is close to half of 83.5.

    Would you like to retract the above statement?


    As per the Offical LAM's formula ...
    To calculate the power to weight ratio for a lams bike you take the kw rating and divide it by the tare weight then multiply it by 1000,It should work out under 150kw per ton
    From this site on the LAM's approved SV650. https://www.autocar.co.nz/autocar-bi...ki-sv650l-2016

    Engine output is limited to 35kW {46.93577311 HP} in the learner version, down from 57 {76.438259064} normally. Torque, however, falls by only 7Nm to 57Nm. Using the LAMS formula - maximum permissible power to weight is 150kW/tonne - the SV rates at 122kW/tonne
    From roughly 76.5 HP down to 46.9 HP. A little more than HALF the original HP wouldn't you say.


    Instead of trying to work things out in your head (not much worth worrying about in there) ... use the correct formula and the correct power rating for the bike.
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    13th April 2018 - 20:36
    Bike
    2015 CBR1000rr
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    97
    Ok fellas calm the fk down. The OP says he has a 2017 SV650UA. The LAMS spec is officially 46HP. Once a bike has been registered as full spec, it cannot, I heard from a dealership, be registered as a LAMS spec.

    2017 Suzuki SV650 Specifications. Engine Type. 645cc Liquid-cooled, EFI, DOHC, four-stroke, 90-degree V-Twin, 4 valves per cylinder. Bore and Stroke. 81.0mm x 62.6mm. Compression Ratio. 11.2:1. Crankshaft Horsepower (claimed) 75.1 hp @ 8,500 rpm. Wet Weight. 198kg.

    So while you're arguing about the HP, in real world terms a person new to riding motorcycles is not going to notice much difference.


  8. #23
    Join Date
    7th January 2014 - 14:45
    Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Location
    Not Gulf Harbour Either
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    As per the Offical LAM's formula ...
    Which is what I did... You know how Maths works, that equations can be expressed in different ways, but still give the same answer:

    241/1000 * 62 KW = 257 KW/tonne.
    62/241 * 1000 = 257 KW/tonne.



    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    From this site on the LAM's approved SV650. https://www.autocar.co.nz/autocar-bi...ki-sv650l-2016
    And? I made the comment in reference to the GSX650FU, hell you even quoted the HP for the full power GSX650F - so why are you suddenly citing the SV650U?

    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    From roughly 76.5 HP down to 46.9 HP. A little more than HALF the original HP wouldn't you say.
    Different LAMS bike, different ratio.

    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Instead of trying to work things out in your head (not much worth worrying about in there) ... use the correct formula and the correct power rating for the bike.
    Except - they both give the same answer.

    Seems like what's in my head is a little bit more accurate than what's in yours, eh?
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

  9. #24
    Join Date
    7th January 2014 - 14:45
    Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Location
    Not Gulf Harbour Either
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    Ok fellas calm the fk down. The OP says he has a 2017 SV650UA. The LAMS spec is officially 46HP. Once a bike has been registered as full spec, it cannot, I heard from a dealership, be registered as a LAMS spec.

    2017 Suzuki SV650 Specifications. Engine Type. 645cc Liquid-cooled, EFI, DOHC, four-stroke, 90-degree V-Twin, 4 valves per cylinder. Bore and Stroke. 81.0mm x 62.6mm. Compression Ratio. 11.2:1. Crankshaft Horsepower (claimed) 75.1 hp @ 8,500 rpm. Wet Weight. 198kg.

    So while you're arguing about the HP, in real world terms a person new to riding motorcycles is not going to notice much difference.
    In the 0-3000 RPM range on the GSX650FU - I didn't notice too much difference between when it was restricted and unrestricted. 3000-7000 RPM you started to notice that it was a bit more spritely - above 7000 RPM however it was extremely noticeable. I remember the day I took it out for a Spin, cranked on the throttle and had a huge grin all day.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

  10. #25
    Join Date
    8th January 2005 - 15:05
    Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    8,743
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by bwyatt View Post
    Hi, im on my restricted and was wondering if i was to purchase a full power sv650 whether i would be able to make it lams approved by swapping the ecu or would it also require a new registration etc?
    To be LAMS it has to be on the approved list. If the bike isn't on the list it isn't LAMS approved.

    Here is the list, and according to my reading the SV650UA is on it:

    https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...d-motorcycles/
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

  11. #26
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,067
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Which is what I did... You know how Maths works, that equations can be expressed in different ways, but still give the same answer:

    241/1000 * 62 KW = 257 KW/tonne.
    62/241 * 1000 = 257 KW/tonne.
    Perhaps you got yours wrong then ... Did you notice the LAM's sv650 toopk it well under the maximum limit for the power to weight limit ??? And for bugger all $$$ ... ECM's are available online to bring the available HP to just under the limit.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    And? I made the comment in reference to the GSX650FU, hell you even quoted the HP for the full power GSX650F - so why are you suddenly citing the SV650U?
    As I recall ... I think it was the SV650 you said had ... that with the restricter disabled doubled the HP. (I have been known to be wrong)

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Different LAMS bike, different ratio.
    Withe the LAM's formula ... different figures (HP and weight [kW/Tonne] for different bikes ... but the SAME FORMULA MUST BE USED.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Except - they both give the same answer.
    As above ... same formula must be used.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Seems like what's in my head is a little bit more accurate than what's in yours, eh?
    You've been proven to get things wrong too ...
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,067
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    Ok fellas calm the fk down. The OP says he has a 2017 SV650UA. The LAMS spec is officially 46HP. Once a bike has been registered as full spec, it cannot, I heard from a dealership, be registered as a LAMS spec.
    The issue is not changing the registration status. Especially from full power to LAM's status. It is actually possible to do this ... but cost prohibitive with registration and certification costs which are not do it yourself at home jobs. Return for money spent would leave you with a deficit.

    If the OP registered the bike in the name of a fully (and clean licensed) licensed rider ... a random radio plate check would reveal nothing incriminating. OR ... don't ride like a dick and attract attention. And keep the WOF and Reg up to date. Indicate when and how you are supposed to ... and keep all the lights working as they should. One blown tail light is certain bait for the plod (at night especially) With a breath test standard procedure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    So while you're arguing about the HP, in real world terms a person new to riding motorcycles is not going to notice much difference.
    I've already said that.

    As an "Older" rider (now) ... I was never restricted on the motorcycle I was allowed to ride on my full license. Which was a month (or was it three months .. ??) after I gained my learners license.

    Funnily enough ... many experienced riders like riding the less powerful bikes ... riding slow bikes fast and embarrassing those "faster/more powerful" bike and riders. The Honda BROS 400 & 650 were good at this. The old adage ... it's not what you've got ... just how you use it ... comes to mind. Ability makes more of a difference than HP (But it does come in handy).

    I rode a few two-strokes in my early riding years. Ride on the red line ... or you might as well walk (would seem faster).
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    7th January 2014 - 14:45
    Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Location
    Not Gulf Harbour Either
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Perhaps you got yours wrong then ... Did you notice the LAM's sv650 toopk it well under the maximum limit for the power to weight limit ??? And for bugger all $$$ ... ECM's are available online to bring the available HP to just under the limit.
    Well, the LAMS formula calculates KW per Kilo, then multiplies by 1000 to give KW per Tonne. I calculate the Tonnage, then divide the KW by that - either way, both ways still give KW/Tonne.

    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    As I recall ... I think it was the SV650 you said had ... that with the restricter disabled doubled the HP. (I have been known to be wrong)
    Nope - I mentioned the GSX650FU got double the fun when given the Snip, I then inferred that the SV was likely to be similar.

    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Withe the LAM's formula ... different figures (HP and weight [kW/Tonne] for different bikes ... but the SAME FORMULA MUST BE USED.

    As above ... same formula must be used.
    Both Forumlas give the exact same answer...

    Either way - the GSX650FU gains over double the HP and Double the Torque when you de-restrict it, I've not ridden an SV either LAMS or not, so am not sure, taking your figures at face value - an Extra 30 HP will be very noticeable.

    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    You've been proven to get things wrong too ...
    I try not to make a habit of it
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

  14. #29
    Join Date
    27th March 2017 - 11:33
    Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Location
    Hamilton/Auckland
    Posts
    228
    Wow. Originally I just wanted to know the difference between the two models - not how to change one to the other. Someone else asked about that (presumably because the full power SV650s are sometimes available more plentifully and more cheaply, and then you'd be able to change it back to full power upon passing of the F licence... I speculate).

    Regardless. I have test ridden two full power SV650s since purchasing the LAMS version. You can certainly feel the difference, but, it wasn't worth it to me to upgrade... I can get myself into enough trouble with the LAMS version as it is (goes like stink, etc). At some point I'll find another bike I really, really, really love and buy it. For now, the LAMS bike keeps me happy (yes, I got my Full).

  15. #30
    Join Date
    17th June 2010 - 16:44
    Bike
    bandit
    Location
    Bay of Plenty
    Posts
    2,867
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Do not read more into the legalities of the LAM's system than is required.

    The Majority of the Highway patrol have no idea about which bike/model is "LAM's" approved. If stopped ... they will know you and your bikes details before you switch it off roadside. If within the 251cc-660cc range ... chances are they that know or care about the LAM's class issue.

    However .... if you ride like a dick on your learners/restricted ... they may pay a little more attention to the details.

    Keep the Bike legal and your riding legal ... and random stops will be for a breath test. Pass and they wave you on.
    This ..

    And LAMS bikes must be factory standard and unmodified - as soon as you change the EU it becomes a modified bike and therefore no longer LAMS ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •