Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Brighton street races - What happend?

Bike
    VTR1000

New Brighton street races - What happend?

Hey Team,

Was speaking to my father in-law who made mention that there used to be street racing in Christchurch (New Brighton and Avondale?) looking into it further we even had Joey Dunlop doing a demo lap on the Britten back in 94, can anyone remember why they canned the event? I know it would be rough trying to push for it now with all the earthquake damage and noise restrictions etc. just want to know why they stopped it.

Thanks guys

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Schematica View Post
    Hey Team,

Was speaking to my father in-law who made mention that there used to be street racing in Christchurch (New Brighton and Avondale?) looking into it further we even had Joey Dunlop doing a demo lap on the Britten back in 94, can anyone remember why they canned the event? I know it would be rough trying to push for it now with all the earthquake damage and noise restrictions etc. just want to know why they stopped it.

Thanks guys
    there's a perfectly good track that needs supporting a few minutes away, all set up ready to go too.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Safety and of course the locals were effectively locked into their houses while it was on..

We always went - there were a lot of spots where I always thought 'I wouldn't want to be standing there if the worst happened' and was just saying the same to my mate when some poor beggars bike went flying through the air and smacked into a house... erm.... Yeah no - it wasn't the best

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Safety and of course the locals were effectively locked into their houses while it was on..

We always went - there were a lot of spots where I always thought 'I wouldn't want to be standing there if the worst happened' and was just saying the same to my mate when some poor beggars bike went flying through the air and smacked into a house... erm.... Yeah no - it wasn't the best
    I think that was Michael Tall, went through a fence as well

Only ran 2 years I think?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    I think that was Michael Tall, went through a fence as well

Only ran 2 years I think?
    Michael's younger brother put his RS125 into a house after losing it at speed when he went over the crown of the road on the long left past the council yard.
    Yes, 2 years. Brighton business assn were main drivers of the event and were disappointed at the lower than anticipated return.

It was always a hard circuit to arrange due to being solid housing all the way round. Year 2 when we had the Irish there, the surface started breaking up badly.
    Hepburn had a GSXR1100 for that meeting and he was digging trenches in a couple of places. Mark Taylor borrowed my F3 500 kawa for the day and it's still got visible stone damage...

Young Tall's 125 is still in one piece - someone pointed it out to me recently - could be Neil's one ?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Michael's younger brother put his RS125 into a house after losing it at speed when he went over the crown of the road on the long left past the council yard.
    Yes, 2 years. Brighton business assn were main drivers of the event and were disappointed at the lower than anticipated return.

Young Tall's 125 is still in one piece - someone pointed it out to me recently - could be Neil's one ?
    I knew it was one of them

Only RS thingy Neil has is a Bucket
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    there's a perfectly good track that needs supporting a few minutes away, all set up ready to go too.
    Tell me more...do you mean the beach ?

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    I knew it was one of them

Only RS thingy Neil has is a Bucket
    Not sure if it's one of Russell's collection or Neil's chassis.

Bike
    XB12S
    Many of the street races have now gone. From memory New Brighton was the year after Sydenham races stopped.
    I raced at both Gracefeild Wellington and Hawkesbury Renwick way back when.Neither exist anymore.
    Both were great fun and more challenging than circuit racing at the time.
    Coming ito the right angled left hander at Hawkesbury and onto the wooden bridge in the wet made for some arse clenching moments with the tyre technology we had at the time and on a budget.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Sydenham was a one-off in the eighties when Ruapuna was being resurfaced. The two Brighton events were early nineties.

Last lap of practise at Hawkesbury I had a go and got the bike airborne eight times in the lap....
    I saw a sidecar spin on that bridge coming onto the start/finish straight...how it didn't finish up in the creek I don't know.
    The worst were the bridges on the eastern side straight where you were faced with no runoff - and a barbed wire fence.....

Bike
    XB12S
    Hawkesbury wasnt the safest of street tracks but sure as hell was a lot of fun.
    In todays world the whole track would have to be wrapped in cotton wool.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Sydenham was a one-off in the eighties when Ruapuna was being resurfaced.
    It was the 84/85 season and NZGP meeting

Last lap of practise at Hawkesbury I had a go and got the bike airborne eight times in the lap...
    I went to the last one they held as a spectator and still drive the circuit when I go up there

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Aranui Speedway
    Think the last beach races held at South New Brighton were in the 60s same with Aranui too

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Perhaps he does - Beach Racing at New Brighton tomorrow from 11-2pm - Story here

There's also the annual Smash Palace bike show in the ramp car park from 10am.

The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by far queue View Post
    Perhaps he does - Beach Racing at New Brighton tomorrow from 11-2pm
    That's just glorified flat track racing on the sand, half them wouldn't have the beans to do it if they weren't allowed to use MX bikes

Thread Information