Thread: Drivng on NZ Roads

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando

Drivng on NZ Roads

I was watching Highway Cops and they had pulled over an old man in Christchurch just after an overtaking lane.

When asked by the Cop why he increased his speed as other cars were trying to pass he replied.

If I think someone may do an overtake near the end of a passing lane I just speed up to make sure they can't as even if they do have a head on chances are I would end up getting caught up in it.
    Be careful out there
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Passing lanes are designed to improve safety - alas my experience on them mirrors yours - some scary shit goes on.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Last time I did any major driving in the NI, I was passed at the end of a passing lane just North of Taihape by a people mover. I had to brake and give her room to pull in otherwise it was going to be a head on into oncoming traffic.
    When I had a look, it was an Indian female driver with what looked like 12 or so primary school kids in the car...
    Gave me a shock.

When you come south for Levels, you can do a direct comparison.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Last time I did any major driving in the NI, I was passed at the end of a passing lane just North of Taihape by a people mover. I had to brake and give her room to pull in otherwise it was going to be a head on into oncoming traffic.
    When I had a look, it was an Indian female driver with what looked like 12 or so primary school kids in the car...
    Gave me a shock.

When you come south for Levels, you can do a direct comparison.
    Well BMW #2 lasted the weekend so yeah entering for levels for the spectacle and noise as I'm pretty slow.

I could barely get into top gear at Manfeild, whats Levels like as might look at chucking a 650 into the 500 as its shorter

wheelbase and has better brakes and the 500 needs some thought put it.

I can't imagine SI driving is any better, just less of you.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    We have the added bonus of drunken exclusive bretherens on sunday that want to race you. Awesome.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    We have the added bonus of drunken exclusive bretherens on sunday that want to race you. Awesome.
    don't forget about the SUV with a couple of kayaks on the roof and half dozen tredlies on the rack on the back that believes it owns the road and is well within its rights to cross the centre line whenever it feels like it

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    They are currently building the Tron bypass John....so you won't ever have to visit us

As for all the other shit, I agree....there's definitely a load of "people" out there who couldn't drive their fingers up their own arses

Bike
    A
    Loads of crap driving skills all over, not much to do with race, but it's easier to ID ethnic groups aye?

Gets even scarier when you get to take so called professional truck drivers for pre-employment test drives...

No point beating around the bush, standards have gone downhill. Question begs, how many have done anything of their own volition to improve their own standard? I know I have

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    There used to be a tv ad featuring Peter Brock, telling people who were passing to get up to speed and get the passing maneuver done quickly and get back into your own lane. Obviously far too sensible for LTSA or whatever they now call themselves.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    whats Levels like as might look at chucking a 650 into the 500 as its shorter

wheelbase and has better brakes and the 500 needs some thought put it.
    Do it, Levels only has one decent straight, it might have too many corners for you

Quote Originally Posted by swarfie View Post
    They are currently building the Tron bypass John....so you won't ever have to visit us
    I always bypass it anyway by turning off at Cambridge, the only good thing about Trongolia is getting out of it
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I drove down to Manfeild on Friday and back today and made some observations as I was driving.

Why do people try and overtake vehicles in the passing lane doing just over 100K? - Went Whangarei = Rotorua Labour weekend and never saw it - most driving was good (amazing)

I saw a car run out of overtaking lane and end up on the other side of the road...lucky nothing was coming the other way. - Never saw it

Why do logging trucks think its ok to pass another logging truck on a passing lane with a line of cars behind them? - Yep happened heading North and 30kms later in Te Hana they were 15 seconds apart - stopped all passing cars = why??

Why is there no motorway past Hamilton? - Its coming, thank god that bypass missing out Cambridge and that bloody roundabout was a nightmare!

I appreciate they need to do roadworks but SH 1 seems to be just one long line of cones and stop/go signs. - Yep Try the Brynderwyns the south side was stopped to trucks on Friday due to wet gravel on roadworks.

Please don't reply Cassina as your a fuckwit. - Your dreaming just as well it wasn't a group ride or you had been to a training course
    Hi John few comments above

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    If there is someone hell bent on owning the road and doing silly things I'd rather back off and let them pass so they can get in a position where I can see them and have a degree of control over my patch of road. Pointless having them ride your arse like a bum-boy.

Thread Information