Thread: Suzuki VStrom 650 - 2017 model

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

Suzuki VStrom 650 - 2017 model

So - I traded my DR650 for a VStrom 650 from Colemans back in January this year as I wanted something more comfy for the work-airport run once a week as well as longer range touring. I also wanted a good and comfy bike with relaxed ergonomics for my IAM NZ riding too.

Thus far I've clocked up some 7200Kms on the Wee Strom and it's ruddy brilliant.

Engine and Transmission

Smooth, effective and fantastic fuel economy (I'm getting some 23-25 Km/Litre) this is probably the bike's best feature. The gearing's sensible too so you can leave it in top gear above 80 Km/hr without feeling as though you've got to change down to tackle a gradient or pass something.

Chassis

The front and rear are adjustable for preload and the rear also has rebound damping adjustment. Thus far I've actually softened off the front a little and hardly touched the rear and I haven't felt the need to do anything else to it. It simply does what you want it to and you end up not really thinking about it. I guess that's as good a sign of it being effective as any.

Comfort

One problem I've found on some adventure style bikes in the past is that the bars can be too wide. My 2004 BMW R1200GS was guilty of this but the Strom doesn't have this problem. The only real criticism is that the seat to pegs distance could be a bit greater but we're talking really minor stuff here. I have a Givi Airflow screen fitted which is manually adjustable (At a standstill only) which is more effective than the standard screen. I also have the Suzuki hand guards fitted which help keep some of the windblast off your hands. In all it's a comfy machine that rates as being one of the best I've come across in all my riding career.

Should you buy one?

Yes - I'm amazed that more people don't if I'm honest. This is something of a hidden gem in Suzuki's range and is a rare example of where the whole is somehow greater than the sum of the individual parts. Yes it only has 68Bhp plus it's over 200kg and it has 'Normal' brake calipers and no electronic suspension. Guess what? You don't need those things. Yep, They're great to have if you can afford them but this bike proves that sometimes less really can be more.

If you're curious or want a bike that'll tour, commute and still be a bit of fun when you want it to be then I'd recommend you take one for a spin. This year's model even has Traction Control fitted just like the 1000 model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piha.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	770.9 KB 
ID:	333198  

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    One of my riding mates has this exact bike, I have ridden it a few times and have to agree with you. I have the thou, which I bought because I usually tour two up. Otherwise I would have the 650...esp if they put the same brakes as the thou, which are outstanding.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    One of my riding mates has this exact bike, I have ridden it a few times and have to agree with you. I have the thou, which I bought because I usually tour two up. Otherwise I would have the 650...esp if they put the same brakes as the thou, which are outstanding.
    Yep - I tried the 1000 version on the same day as I rode the 650. It too is a cracking machine and if I was doing 2-up riding then I'd have spent the extra on it over the 650. Personally I prefer the look of mine compared to that of the 1000 and now the 650 too, however they're still a good looking machines. IMHO of course.

I'm just genuinely surprised at how good it is. For years Adventure bikes have promised the ideal balance between fuel range, comfort, accelarative grunt and luggage capacity but often they fall short in one or two areas. The Strom seems to have all the bases covered.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Plus just good old value for money! I have done some very rough roads on mine and apart from blowing the front fork seals once, have had no problems with the way it handles or rides.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Been eye balling one for a wee while now...

Will try to justify getting one one day.

Don't want to get rid of my armchair honda though...

Where there is a will......
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    If you like the Vstrom for the reasons the OP states, then you'd love the Triumph Tiger 800 XCA!!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Bike
    2013 DL650A V-Strom McCruise Added
    Yeah at $27490 a bit pricier than the V-Strom

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by johcar View Post
    If you like the Vstrom for the reasons the OP states, then you'd love the Triumph Tiger 800 XCA!!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Yep - I've owned my fair share of Triumphs and I love them for all sorts of reasons. The big problem with them here in NZ is the price. Compared to my 650 Wee Strom the 800 Tiger is quite possibly more capable. It's also some $7k+ more for the 2 bikes in the same spec.

If you can afford one though I've no doubt that the 800 XCA is a cracking bike.

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    I looked very seriously at a Wee Strom last year great all round bike. I ended up getting an MT-09 Tracer slightly lighter more power luggage and a few grand more .
    I think the wee strom would be a better "adventure" type machine with the right tyres etc. From what I have read people have been to every corner of the globe and the reliability has been outstanding.
    Enjoy

Thread Information