Thread: Honda cbr 900 rr clutch basket repair or replace

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Honda cbr 900 rr clutch basket repair or replace

Hi i have yet to fix my gearbox but in the mean time i looked at the clutch basket

And the basket springs are loose as . i was wondering if anyone had replaced these before .there are grovves on the clutch fingers where the outer plates sit

As well.

I whould have to get enginners to take out the holding rivits that hold the basket springs in place. but first i have to check honda if i can get replacemt

Springs . its no wonder bike made a clutch rattle at idle . i have looked at ebay for replacemnt clutch basket . found one but it had diffrent backing plate to mine

ideally i buy a new basket if its availble but got to be a point i stop throwing money at this bike.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    See if you can find the workshop manual from somewhere (Hayne's, public library if necessary) and check:

Friction disc thickness
    Plain disc thickness
    Spring unloaded length
    Allowable backlash between discs and basket / hub

All of this will have to be done after the basket comes apart unfortunately.

Baskets notch, so do hubs - it's a worry if it prevents the discs sliding properly or if there's too much free play. Otherwise it's normal. If you're within wear limits you'll be OK.

Spares - plenty of CBR's around, see if you can order parts online. I'm lucky with the Ducati and have online parts lists with exploded diagrams courtesy of Stein Dinse, unfortunately I can't point you towards someone similar for Honda but maybe one of the other KBer's can?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    See if you can find the workshop manual from somewhere (Hayne's, public library if necessary) and check:

Friction disc thickness
    Plain disc thickness
    Spring unloaded length
    Allowable backlash between discs and basket / hub

All of this will have to be done after the basket comes apart unfortunately.

Baskets notch, so do hubs - it's a worry if it prevents the discs sliding properly or if there's too much free play. Otherwise it's normal. If you're within wear limits you'll be OK.

Spares - plenty of CBR's around, see if you can order parts online. I'm lucky with the Ducati and have online parts lists with exploded diagrams courtesy of Stein Dinse, unfortunately I can't point you towards someone similar for Honda but maybe one of the other KBer's can?
    All cool yep i have a Haynes manuuall yes the friction clutch plates do need a replace .i have a look at how the plates go back .

I have asked this before but whats a good brand of vernier caliper i can buy

Yes they are both grovved a bit but not enough to stop the plates moving the clutch was working okay . just rattled i thought might be a cbr thing. ;-)

thanks dude

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    I have asked this before but whats a good brand of vernier caliper i can buy
    Mitutoyo for first choice, Insize for second. Trade Tools will have them or maybe Saeco. I've got a Mitutoyo 150mm manual vernier caliper and it comes out for about half the work I do.

Avoid Kinchrome, looks the business and it's the right price, but the digital calipers I was given turned out to eat batteries every five minutes and had track skip errors if I moved the jaws too fast.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Mitutoyo for first choice, Insize for second. Trade Tools will have them or maybe Saeco. I've got a Mitutoyo 150mm manual vernier caliper and it comes out for about half the work I do.

Avoid Kinchrome, looks the business and it's the right price, but the digital calipers I was given turned out to eat batteries every five minutes and had track skip errors if I moved the jaws too fast.
    Thanks dude

Bike
    2002 CBR954 FIREBLADE
    Blog Entries
    I replaced the basket on my CBR954 about two years ago due to loose springs, made a huge difference to the sound of the engine!

I got a replacement from david silver spares in the UK for pretty fair price
    When the forest burns Along the road Like God's eyes In my headlights When the dogs are looking For their bones And it's raining icepicks On your steel shore
    But I'm gonna break, I'm gonna break my I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run - Chris Cornell

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    I replaced the basket on my CBR954 about two years ago due to loose springs, made a huge difference to the sound of the engine!

I got a replacement from david silver spares in the UK for pretty fair price
    Thanks very much dude really appreciated i always did wonder on mine wasint
    sure if meant to sound like that ;-)

Thread Information