Thread: Insurance and Violation tickets

Bike
    bike

Insurance and Violation tickets

Does anybody have any experience with their insurance premium being heavily impacted by perhaps a speeding ticket they received?

What exactly is the increment per ticket on the cost of your insurance?

Does it matter what kind of ticket? i.e No L plates on learners, 10kph over, 60kph over...

What is the long-term impact of these tickets on premiums?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Insurance is based on an assessment of risk.

It's likely that an insurance company would consider a history of tickets as a risk.

Many people mansge to get through life without collecting tickets, its likely that those who get them are doing something special. That's where the risk but comes in.

Even an L plate ticket indicates a willingness to break the rules. I've heard all the stories about L plates falling off, but it's normally BS. If people actually wanted to comply, they would find a way.

You've got to be fairly unlucky to get caught doing something these days. And getting caught multiple times goes beyond bad luck.

My guess is insurance companies factor this in. Mine only wants to know about tickets going back 5 years.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Insurance is based on an assessment of risk.

It's likely that an insurance company would consider a history of tickets as a risk.

Many people mansge to get through life without collecting tickets, its likely that those who get them are doing something special. That's where the risk but comes in.

Even an L plate ticket indicates a willingness to break the rules. I've heard all the stories about L plates falling off, but it's normally BS. If people actually wanted to comply, they would find a way.

You've got to be fairly unlucky to get caught doing something these days. And getting caught multiple times goes beyond bad luck.

My guess is insurance companies factor this in. Mine only wants to know about tickets going back 5 years.
    In 35 years driving/riding Ive had 1 ticket. That was in a customers car with a faulty speedo. Guess I suck at guessing speed.

And i'm a hoon. Guess time and a place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    There is no way to specifically quantify any one breach and how much it exactly affects your premium, unless you know the people who programmed the algorithms. I'd guess the staff would have no idea, as they simply punch in the details and computer says xyz

It's the same as where you live. It's a factor, and the suburbs with more theft increase your premium. As the cat said, it's about risk. If you identify yourself as a more risky client (by receiving tickets/losing your licence, being in at-fault incidents, or writing vehicles off) then you're going to pay more. You can switch insurers, but they're all going to be pretty similar.

At the extreme end, you can have an excess matching the vehicles value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by kawa64 View Post
    Does anybody have any experience with their insurance premium being heavily impacted by perhaps a speeding ticket they received?

What exactly is the increment per ticket on the cost of your insurance?

Does it matter what kind of ticket? i.e No L plates on learners, 10kph over, 60kph over...

What is the long-term impact of these tickets on premiums?
    Each insurance company will use their own set of criteria to set your "risk profile" so best you ask your insurer.

How long an insurer considers past tickets will vary, some 5, some 7 years, etc.

Safe to assume that, like RC already pointed out, if you've got a high risk profile your insurance will be costly.

Thread Information