Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Secret shortcuts and detours

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post

St Andrews - Cave with the option of Pleasant point back to highway one or on to Fairlie then Geraldine. Then Highway 72 to Darfield. Then Oxford to Rangiora.
    Don't have to go to Darfield. Left just after Homebush and it brings you out on the West Coast Rd about 500m from the Waimak gorge junction.
    You could even cut left from Coalgate onto the back road to Springfield - a large part of which is used for an annual Rallysprint....

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Don't have to go to Darfield. Left just after Homebush and it brings you out on the West Coast Rd about 500m from the Waimak gorge junction.
    You could even cut left from Coalgate onto the back road to Springfield - a large part of which is used for an annual Rallysprint....
    Actually ... I have been aware of all that, but I was not sure Ocean1 was. But I figured he'd probably look at a map (Google maps street view) and figure it out for himself.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Just remember that during Warbirds weekend ... the Central Otago traffic is worse than downtown Queen street in the rush hour. NO multi-lane roads down here. AND ... WILL be VERY highly Policed. Two wheeled traffic will not be faster than the four wheeled ones. Some roads will be configured to make one way traffic to the Wanaka airport. Local papers will have maps showing the routes and roads you will need to take.

Alex - Palmerston (highway 85) is very good but can be subject to high winds ... Danseys pass if you like gravel.

Maheno - Tokarahi - Duntroon - Kurow - Waimate is a good (off highway one) detour.

St Andrews - Cave with the option of Pleasant point back to highway one or on to Fairlie then Geraldine. Then Highway 72 to Darfield. Then Oxford to Rangiora.
    Cheers, yes we're staying away from Wonka as much as possible for the weekend, think one of the boys is organising something of a recreational nature in Qtown but outside of that we're riding in for Saturday and then riding well away again.

I'll have a play with your suggestions on Gmaps tomorrow on the work rig, see if I can work them into the master plan, cheers.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Going to do the Warbirds over Wanaka in late March.

Starting Wellington, staying - Hanmer - Akaroa - Hokitika - Queenstown - (WOW) - Queenstown - Alex - Kaikoura - Wellington.

We've done most of the obvious routes over the years. Tell me about the secret ones only the locals know about. An hour or so return trip detour for a nice bit of road/scenery is fine.

Hit me.
    Thanks for the tips.

And apparently Ohau goes between Alex and Kaikoura.....

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Lost me. This still all highway 72?

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Lost me. This still all highway 72?

The 1st piece grumph is talking about is SH72 the so-called scenic highway & it's Waddington where it crosses SH73, turning to Darfield takes you away from it and about 20km off track.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...a very secret shortcut to oblivion is turning left off SH75 at Little River for a 100 meter sprint to my place for coffee and and a piss when you are on your way to Akaroa, where half the population is moody, by the way...

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    where half the population is moody, by the way...
    every 28 days by any chance?

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    ...a very secret shortcut to oblivion is turning left off SH75 at Little River for a 100 meter sprint to my place for coffee and and a piss when you are on your way to Akaroa, where half the population is moody, by the way...
    So I'm guessing that would be Morrisons Rd

Don't be setting any fires there Neil...latest news says it looks like some mongrel took your fire brigades water tanker.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Tah. What's the surface on Jollies pass rd - Tophouse rd - Clarence valley rd like?
    If you were thinking of Wairau valley to Hanmer, gravel and in places a track graded out of a large shingle fan that's constantly falling into the river. If you have someone gravel averse then they probably won't be keen on fording rivers.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by swarfie View Post
    So I'm guessing that would be Morrisons Rd

Don't be setting any fires there Neil...latest news says it looks like some mongrel took your fire brigades water tanker.

...it was spelt Morisons when we pulled up here thirty years ago then one night the old rusty street sign blew down and a few weeks later it was replaced with the double 'rr', spelling, which I thought was rather funny, and the unplanned name change has remained...I have nearly 50,000 liters on hold at my place Nev so I reckon I could have the odd small fire, which I'm nearly just about due for soon...we are due southerlies and wet shit very soon, that will be my trigger to make big flames...

Bike
    Exercycle
    ...it was spelt Morisons when we pulled up here thirty years ago then one night the old rusty street sign blew down and a few weeks later it was replaced with the double 'rr', spelling, which I thought was rather funny, and the unplanned name change has remained...I have nearly 50,000 liters on hold at my place Nev so I reckon I could have the odd small fire, which I'm nearly just about due for soon...we are due southerlies and wet shit very soon, that will be my trigger to make big flames...
    How the fuck do you get away with that ? We're no bigger than LR - probably smaller - and it's no open fires in the village.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    How the fuck do you get away with that ? We're no bigger than LR - probably smaller - and it's no open fires in the village.
    ...something to do with the rural situation we are in and flaunting the rules...we are also within the 500 meter?, absolutely no fires, boundary of a DOC reserve...so I can't have one anytime...unless I give them 1150 bucks for a permit...to which my philosophy is 'get fucked'...how does a piece of expensive paper make a fire less dangerous...I'm pretty much a safety type when it comes to having a fire, so I have one...

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    ...something to do with the rural situation we are in and flaunting the rules...we are also within the 500 meter?, absolutely no fires, boundary of a DOC reserve...so I can't have one anytime...unless I give them 1150 bucks for a permit...to which my philosophy is 'get fucked'...how does a piece of expensive paper make a fire less dangerous...I'm pretty much a safety type when it comes to having a fire, so I have one...
    I like the way you think....burn first, apologize/grovel later. And what they don't know won't hurt them

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Cheers, I'll try to give you some warning of impending multitudes.

Thread Information