Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Secret shortcuts and detours

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Cheers, yes we're staying away from Wonka as much as possible for the weekend, think one of the boys is organising something of a recreational nature in Qtown but outside of that we're riding in for Saturday and then riding well away again.

I'll have a play with your suggestions on Gmaps tomorrow on the work rig, see if I can work them into the master plan, cheers.
    I hope your accommodation is already BOOKED. If not ... sort it FAST .. !!! That weekend is usually booked out months prior ... for the whole of Central Otago.

Avoid the Lindis pass anybody ... that is a weekend of frantic/mad bumper to bumper (one lane each way) traffic All the way through ... in both directions ...

ALL weekend and then some ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I hope your accommodation is already BOOKED. If not ... sort it FAST .. !!! That weekend is usually booked out months prior ... for the whole of Central Otago.

Avoid the Lindis pass anybody ... that is a weekend of frantic/mad bumper to bumper (one lane each way) traffic All the way through ... in both directions ...

ALL weekend and then some ...
    Yup, all sorted. In fact the places I booked still had plenty of room, but they weren't near ground zero.

We're staying Qtown Fri and Sat night so won't be anywhere near the Lindis pass. Crown range is likely to be every bit as overpopulated but it's no big deal, just reduces the old trade off between making progress and looking at the scenery.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Yup, all sorted. In fact the places I booked still had plenty of room, but they weren't near ground zero.

We're staying Qtown Fri and Sat night so won't be anywhere near the Lindis pass. Crown range is likely to be every bit as overpopulated but it's no big deal, just reduces the old trade off between making progress and looking at the scenery.
    As stupid as this may sound ... plan on being at Wanaka airport by 6.30 AM ... or earlier. But if you have a fetish for Auckland motorway style gridlocked roads ... ignore this.
    Bring food / coffee to have while you wait ...

After the show ... give it an hour or more to let the bulk of the multitude to depart. Bring a book and a large thermos of coffee ... but there will still be plenty of on-site businesses selling the "GOOD" stuff ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    It was on the good
    I wouldn't get too worried about Warbirds traffic. Went to the last one from the Queenstown end. Yes, the road is much busier than normal with even more unthinking idiots but plenty of opportunities to get past them on two wheels.

Not sure what time we rocked up to site, a gentlemanly nine o'clock or so I guess, and were ushered in to the corner of one of the paddocks nearest the entrance. Crawling traffic for the last few k's but was over that after the first flypast and chilli bratwurst.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    I will state the obvious and say Molesworth. Not to everyones taste I know but pretty do-able on pretty much anything. Rainbow not so much.
    In the end half of us took the high road. No real drama, except near the south end where I discovered the first of several stretches of fist sized crushed rock at speeds it transpired were less than wise. The two fords on the drop into Hanmer weren't too bad and rinsed the worst of the mud off.

Sorry not to have taken advantage of your kind offer Neil, we were well late heading into Akaroa, would have ruined your evening I promise.

Hawksburn rd, from Bannockburn to Clide turned out to be less well developed than expected...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hawksburn Rd.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	784.0 KB 
ID:	335991  
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information