Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Secret shortcuts and detours

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure

Secret shortcuts and detours

Going to do the Warbirds over Wanaka in late March.

Starting Wellington, staying - Hanmer - Akaroa - Hokitika - Queenstown - (WOW) - Queenstown - Alex - Kaikoura - Wellington.

We've done most of the obvious routes over the years. Tell me about the secret ones only the locals know about. An hour or so return trip detour for a nice bit of road/scenery is fine.

Hit me.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    You can avoid the Cromwell Gorge by going Bannockburn to Clyde via Hawksburn Rd
    =mjc=

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    You can avoid the Cromwell Gorge by going Bannockburn to Clyde via Hawksburn Rd
    Thanks, I sorta knew about that one but haven't done it and wasn't quite sure where it was, cheers.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I will state the obvious and say Molesworth. Not to everyones taste I know but pretty do-able on pretty much anything. Rainbow not so much.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    I will state the obvious and say Molesworth. Not to everyones taste I know but pretty do-able on pretty much anything. Rainbow not so much.
    Be nice. One participant is fairly gravel averse but could be we talk him into it if it's open.

Cheers.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Be nice. One participant is fairly gravel averse but could be we talk him into it if it's open.

Cheers.
    Never mind the gravel, it’s an alpine route where snow is not unheard of in summer! Expect the wind could get bit mean too.
    Maybe skip Queenstown and shoot down to TeAnau, cheaper accomodation and good bus links to day trip Milford sounds etc
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    At hammer pop up top of Jacks pass for the view. I rented a mountain bike but turned around 3/4 way up as didn’t fancy hypothermia!
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    At hammer pop up top of Jacks pass for the view. I rented a mountain bike but turned around 3/4 way up as didn’t fancy hypothermia!
    Tah. What's the surface on Jollies pass rd - Tophouse rd - Clarence valley rd like?

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    There was a good size water crossing on Jollies pass when we came thru mid march this year, would not have got back up through it two up but went down to Hanmer thru it two up but it did freak the wife out a bit...in some ways it is better than Jacks pass but no doubt is likely to be very changeable season to season. In fact the first time we went thru, years ago, it was thick mud about 8" deep for a stretch of 200m or so that totally choked up the front wheel and brakes to the point it was barely rotating. Not fun on a big bike two up!

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Maybe skip Queenstown and shoot down to TeAnau, cheaper accomodation and good bus links to day trip Milford sounds etc
    If you have your bike in Te Anau there is no way you should go to Milford Sound on the bus. You will regret it all the way there and all the way back, whatever the weather. Sounds like a bit of a detour for this trip anyway.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Stay at Tophouse inn.
    Say g'day to the ghost for me.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    You can get a good bacon buttie at a food caravan in a paddock just north of St Arnoud. You'll need it after the rainbow...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    If you have your bike in Te Anau there is no way you should go to Milford Sound on the bus. You will regret it all the way there and all the way back, whatever the weather. Sounds like a bit of a detour for this trip anyway.
    Abbasolutely!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Hokitika to Ross ... via Woodstock. It's the old main road. A good Motorcycle road. Being rural and narrow ... look out for the rural folk.

It might take an extra 10 to 15 minutes ... But unless you are in a downpour (likely at any time of the year) well worth it.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Just remember that during Warbirds weekend ... the Central Otago traffic is worse than downtown Queen street in the rush hour. NO multi-lane roads down here. AND ... WILL be VERY highly Policed. Two wheeled traffic will not be faster than the four wheeled ones. Some roads will be configured to make one way traffic to the Wanaka airport. Local papers will have maps showing the routes and roads you will need to take.

Alex - Palmerston (highway 85) is very good but can be subject to high winds ... Danseys pass if you like gravel.

Maheno - Tokarahi - Duntroon - Kurow - Waimate is a good (off highway one) detour.

St Andrews - Cave with the option of Pleasant point back to highway one or on to Fairlie then Geraldine. Then Highway 72 to Darfield. Then Oxford to Rangiora.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information