Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Police motorcycle Safety vid.

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    You take my posts too seriously in terms of the precise terminology you are seeking. We are not debating in court did you know? If you have any doubt about whether you should do anything I state on here why not ask others if they have done the same thing too and if they have we cant all be wrong?

"You take my posts too seriously.... "

No, not in the least.

"If you have any doubt about whether you should do anything I state on here.... "

I frequently do.

Bike
    A
    Oh well, the troll that is cassina has been keeping you fellas amused. In the meantime I ventured out in the sun, much more satisfying than discussing riding techniques with a pot plant

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I tried some of that riding in the video today. Wasn't all bad.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    The chap who posts under Roadcraft Nottingham on Youtube has some really good stuff, sample below. Yes he coaches Roadcraft, same as some of us in NZ.

https://youtu.be/EBvsaN3Tc9c
    Any Road Craft is good Road Craft. So long as it's taught with context.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Yep - that's the key. Just reading the Roadcraft book is useful but can lead to misunderstandings in application unless it's supported by practical coaching.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Absolutely right Pete, no point teaching someone extreme positioning without talking about SSV.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Yep - that's the key. Just reading the Roadcraft book is useful but can lead to misunderstandings in application unless it's supported by practical coaching.
    No doubt about it Geoff, this might be where the perception comes from that Roadcraft is in some way rigid or inflexible. In practical terms it's the exact opposite, but in order for someone to graps that they need first hand exposure to the Roadcraft system.

Yesterday my new trainee and myself witnessed a Police car attempting a U-turn not far over a blind rise, well when I say attempt, it turned into a 3 point turn. My trainee got a bit aggro on this, saying how the cops should know better than to keep doing this. Yep, I'll agree it was less than ideal, but then if I'm not out driving/riding my stopping distance...not really a problem either. Which then led to a chat about vanishing point and stopping distance. So even a less than ideal situation can be turned into a learning experience

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r

Yesterday my new trainee and myself witnessed a Police car attempting a U-turn not far over a blind rise, well when I say attempt, it turned into a 3 point turn.
    Cops in general are very unforgiving towards us common road users.... therefor they put themselves above us mere mortals and should either put up or shut up.

Inexcusable antics of tossers in uniform should know and behave better .......or get another job at ird
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    Cops in general are very unforgiving towards us common road users.... therefor they put themselves above us mere mortals and should either put up or shut up.

Inexcusable antics of tossers in uniform should know and behave better .......or get another job at ird
    Yes and no. My trainee is new to advanced driving, so while what the officer did was less than ideal, to me it was a non-event. Where my trainee went wrong was in thinking he's perfectly entitled to charge over a blind rise, which will see him outrun his stopping distance significantly. In such a situation the officer doing a U-turn would turn into a near miss or incident. So as I said earlier, even a less than ideal situation turns into a learning event.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Great that trainee saw firsthand that one has to be ready for dangerous actions from fuckwits on our roads.

Inexcusable is that this particular fuckwit is from the "safer communities together" brotherhood.
    Happily to endanger and even kill any roaduser who happens to be in the way of an (Non quota...) infringement opportunity...
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    If you have any doubt about whether you should do anything I state on here why not ask others if they have done the same thing too and if they have we cant all be wrong?
    An iffy statement if ever there was ... and ... yes you can be ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Yes and no. My trainee is new to advanced driving, so while what the officer did was less than ideal, to me it was a non-event. Where my trainee went wrong was in thinking he's perfectly entitled to charge over a blind rise, which will see him outrun his stopping distance significantly. In such a situation the officer doing a U-turn would turn into a near miss or incident. So as I said earlier, even a less than ideal situation turns into a learning event.

Man this is a great forum, a lot of the basic skills mentioned seem natural to me, but there is always other bits of info I keep picking up or it gives me a gentle reminder.

Thanks guys.

Bike
    suzuki
    But some of you think everything I say will result in death and if thats the case why am I not dead?
    how do we know you're not? post a piccie of you with todays paper please

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Some weeks ago my friends car was almost hit by a police car doing a U turn. They have learnt nothing from the accident where one 1 or 2 riders were killed when a police car did a U turn some years back. So much for their car equivalent to IAMs training.
    You have friends?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    But some of you think everything I say will result in death and if thats the case why am I not dead?
    Because people keep making allowances for you. Letting you live ... even if it costs them with injury or damage ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    So much for their car equivalent to IAMs training.
    Sadly the driver training Police receive is limited to half a day every 3 years. And its an assessment, not training.

It's in no way related to IAM standards.

Thread Information