Thread: Rg150

Bike
    '99 GSX750F, FXR150 bucket, RMX250
    Sorry I know less about racing than I do about mechanics (which isn't a lot) and here I am trying to do both...

I've got a stock RG150 that is ready-to-race, wired and nyloned etc.

But, I'm not sure what class (if any) I can actually race it in? I know I can't do buckets, is there anything at Manfeild I can use it for (I live 20mins from the track)?

Reason is I am also planning on building a bucket too and can't quite decide what to use. Buckets are just starting up at the karting track in Palmy which is exciting so I'm keen to have a go there. I have a couple of TF125 engines I could use, one runs very nicely the other needs a rebuild.

I am on a tight budget. I do have a fairly good workshop with a welder etc so that's one thing at least that isn't an issue.

The way I see it, my options are:

1. Buy a second RG frame and run a stock RG150 for trackdays etc and maybe some racing at Manfeild, and drop a TF125 into the second frame? (Makes sense to run the same frame for both bikes because the parts are interchangeable and I can use the same slicks/wets on both bikes).

2. Forget about running the RG150 as a 150, rip the engine out and chuck a TF125 in, just running the one bike as a bucket. I could sell all the RG150 engines and bits I don't need to fund a better bucket.

What are your thoughts on this? I'm personally leaning towards option 2 but it's hard to make an informed decision when you don't know what the fuck you're talking about
    Last edited by cbfb; 6th November 2017 at 12:11.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by cbfb View Post
    I've got a stock RG150 that is ready-to-race, wired and nyloned etc. But, I'm not sure what class (if any) I can actually race it in? I know I can't do buckets.
    A possibility.

Use the RG150 because its already half way there, get the crank de stroked to 44.5mm and fit a RGV250 cylinder and run it as 110cc in Buckets F4.

I think the RGV250 cylinder will bolt straight onto the 150. If so then everything else fits, power valve chamber carb etc. Ask around, it may costs a few$$$, but there are people who can do the crank work, use a RD400 rod because its longer than most and give you room to play with, you will probably need to adjust the height of the cylinder with an alloy plate to get every thing back to the right height.

If you can do that then you will have a competitive and reliable bike, something that would be very much much better than the old air cooled TF.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Use the RG150, get the crank de stroked to 44.5mm and fit a RGV250 cylinder and run it as 110cc. Ask around, it costs a few$$$, but there are people who can do the crank work, use a RD400 rod because its longer than most, you will probably need to adjust the height of the cylinder with a alloy plate.
    Fantastic that would be good. I've got a spare engine so would have the option to switch back if I wanted to. Will see if anyone local can do the engine work, it's beyond me.

Bike
    suzuki
    Fantastic that would be good. I've got a spare engine so would have the option to switch back if I wanted to. Will see if anyone local can do the engine work, it's beyond me.
    pete sales rangiotu

Bike
    I had a word with Peter Sales, he said it would be a hell of a lot of work using the RG engine

He also said that using the RG chassis would not be a great idea for buckets due to the weight.

On the plus side he did recommend a TF (which is handy) and said he'd got one doing 23hp.

Thoughts? I like the idea of keeping the simple TF engine if the RG is too costly an option. But what frame to use? I've only got an RGV150 frame completely bare, no forks or wheels, or the TF with its big wheels and crappy drum brakes. Or do I just use the RG frame anyway despite the weight?

Apologies again I'm a complete novice at racing there is a very steep learning curve so I find.

Bike
    Norton Manx
    On the plus side he did recommend a TF (which is handy) and said he'd got one doing 23hp.
    Here is the TF125 Bucket build thread of F5Daves.

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...25-build/page6
    Factual Facts are based on real Fact and Universal Truths. Alternative Facts by definition are not based on Truth.

Bike
    GPR150
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...1455722519.htm
    1000 for the roller with fairing , mint nilons and rearsets , tf125 in this should go well
    i'm over buckets

Bike

cbfb

Quote Originally Posted by mr bucketracer View Post
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...1455722519.htm
    1000 for the roller with fairing , mint nilons and rearsets , tf125 in this should go well
    Could be keen. What engine did you have in it before? Are they stock rims?

Bike

cbfb

Quote Originally Posted by FastFred View Post
    Here is the TF125 Bucket build thread of F5Daves.

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...25-build/page6
    Thanks I had a read of this and it makes me wonder what I'm getting into, this was way way over my head :/

Bike
    GPR150
    Could be keen. What engine did you have in it before? Are they stock rims?
    cbr150 . Yes stock rims
    i'm over buckets

Bike
    Sorry for the muck-around but I've realised building a bike is nowhere near as easy as I thought so I am going to look for something I can race without much work to start with.

If I like bucketing I'll maybe have a project bike at a later stage when I've got a better idea of what I want/need.

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1131070953

Thread Information