Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Race suit: 1tonne vs rjays vs qmoto

Bike
    '99 GSX750F, FXR150 bucket, RMX250

Race suit: 1tonne vs rjays vs qmoto

Need a 1-piece for buckets and hopefully development class racing.

Options in my price range and a 58 are 1tonne @ 650 0r rjays stealth 3 @ 900 or qmoto @ 950

Most people who own ONE of these tend to rate them so I'm more interested in people who can compare 2 or 3. Basically I want to know why I should spend the extra $$$

Bike
    yzfr3
    Check if they come with chest and back protection, if not factor in the cost of buying them. Also see how many layers of leather are in impact areas like the hips, check if it has lower shin protection - if not you can't wear in boots.

Add the cost of the extra protection you'll need and then compare them, also factor in looks if you like

Bike
    TZFXR150, R1150GS, DRZ400, Ninja300 prod
    Crash tested the shite out of my 1tonne suits and bang for bucks are good as gold (had two now). +1 for the 1tonne!

Get the black so scuffs can be nuggeted.

Its harder to lose weight than gain horsepower.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by arrien1400 View Post
    Check if they come with chest and back protection, if not factor in the cost of buying them. Also see how many layers of leather are in impact areas like the hips, check if it has lower shin protection - if not you can't wear in boots.

Add the cost of the extra protection you'll need and then compare them, also factor in looks if you like
    Thanks, I'm going to get strap-on back/chest protectors so have already factored in the extra cost but it does remind me, how roomy are they for fitting the extra armor underneath?

With the shin protection do you mean you can't tuck the pants into boots?

The 1tonne has double-layer on the arse, doesn't mention anywhere else. It does says its got shin protection.

The Rjays doesn't say anything about extra layers but does have shin armour.

The qmoto has "Double Reinforced Leather Layers at forearms, seat area, hips and knees" and also mentions quadruple stitching. Couldn't see anything about shin armour.

Going purely on construction the qmoto probably looks safer but then again I'm only racing a bucket and an RG150 is it overkill? With helmets I don't think spending 10 times more gets you 10 times the safety but it seems leathers are not all built the same.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha#81 View Post
    Crash tested the shite out of my 1tonne suits and bang for bucks are good as gold (had two now). +1 for the 1tonne!

Get the black so scuffs can be nuggeted.
    Thanks, good to know it works in an off.

I've had 1tonne gear before and it's adequate quality/comfort for road but never come off before.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by cbfb View Post
    Thanks, I'm going to get strap-on back/chest protectors so have already factored in the extra cost but it does remind me, how roomy are they for fitting the extra armor underneath?

With the shin protection do you mean you can't tuck the pants into boots?

The 1tonne has double-layer on the arse, doesn't mention anywhere else. It does says its got shin protection.

The Rjays doesn't say anything about extra layers but does have shin armour.

The qmoto has "Double Reinforced Leather Layers at forearms, seat area, hips and knees" and also mentions quadruple stitching. Couldn't see anything about shin armour.

Going purely on construction the qmoto probably looks safer but then again I'm only racing a bucket and an RG150 is it overkill? With helmets I don't think spending 10 times more gets you 10 times the safety but it seems leathers are not all built the same.
    No such thing as overkill with safety gear, you can fall off a development bike just as easily as bigger bike and on some corners at similar speeds. Another factor is longevity, some leathers will only last a few crashes then need repair or replacement. So better quality leather will survive a few more slides.

Best thing to do with the back/chest protector is buy it at the same time and test fit it underneath, be a bitch to buy the leathers then not be able to fit in the required gear.

Qmoto have a great rep and if it were my money that's what I'd be getting.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    No such thing as overkill with safety gear, you can fall off a development bike just as easily as bigger bike and on some corners at similar speeds. Another factor is longevity, some leathers will only last a few crashes then need repair or replacement. So better quality leather will survive a few more slides.

Best thing to do with the back/chest protector is buy it at the same time and test fit it underneath, be a bitch to buy the leathers then not be able to fit in the required gear.

Qmoto have a great rep and if it were my money that's what I'd be getting.
    Yep I'm going to order the armor before I fit the suit. Another thing I'm making sure of is that whoever I buy from allows returns if the sizing is wrong.

Going off the specs I agree Qmoto look like the better option and I also agree that there's no such thing as overkill, but also I do have a limited budget so blowing all my money on a suit means cut-backs elsewhere. I may have found a bike which is slightly cheaper than I had allowed for so that might help.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Yep I'm going to order the armor before I fit the suit. Another thing I'm making sure of is that whoever I buy from allows returns if the sizing is wrong.

Going off the specs I agree Qmoto look like the better option and I also agree that there's no such thing as overkill, but also I do have a limited budget so blowing all my money on a suit means cut-backs elsewhere. I may have found a bike which is slightly cheaper than I had allowed for so that might help.
    Have you bought a bucket yet? Should be able to pick up a good bucket for 1400-2k. Bout that same dollars for a RG150 so all in I reckon you could have a both bikes for 3-4k.

Racing suit $900
    Boots if you don't have any I'd recommend Guarne, nice n comfy and great in a crash (tested by yours truly), $500ish dollars
    Chest and back protector, not sure what mine cost as the Mrs bought it for me, try and get one all in one that meets the correct standard though.

Then its racing time!

Bike
    Have you bought a bucket yet? Should be able to pick up a good bucket for 1400-2k. Bout that same dollars for a RG150 so all in I reckon you could have a both bikes for 3-4k.

Racing suit $900
    Boots if you don't have any I'd recommend Guarne, nice n comfy and great in a crash (tested by yours truly), $500ish dollars
    Chest and back protector, not sure what mine cost as the Mrs bought it for me, try and get one all in one that meets the correct standard though.

Then its racing time!
    I've already got the RG. Just looking for a bucket in the price range you mentioned.

I've got some 1tonne boots for my road bike that I hope will be OK for the track for now.

Chest/back I was planning on using these. Not ordered yet.

https://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/style/ascpkrcir.aspx

https://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/style/rjbppow.aspx

From what I can make out in the migraine-inducing rulebook these are permitted. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    I've already got the RG. Just looking for a bucket in the price range you mentioned.

I've got some 1tonne boots for my road bike that I hope will be OK for the track for now.

Chest/back I was planning on using these. Not ordered yet.

https://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/style/ascpkrcir.aspx

https://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/style/rjbppow.aspx

From what I can make out in the migraine-inducing rulebook these are permitted. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    EN1621 I think is the standard they must meet.

I have a Thor Sentry Vest (I think, it's in a box in the garage) which I have only crash tested once but did it's job well, it comes as one vest too so you don't have to piss around fitting 2.

Bike
    EN1621 I think is the standard they must meet.

I have a Thor Sentry Vest (I think, it's in a box in the garage) which I have only crash tested once but did it's job well, it comes as one vest too so you don't have to piss around fitting 2.
    Ah yeah they are listed as mx vests, are they ok for road racing too? That would definitely be the go not a bad price either.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    There is a bucket for sale at the mo which was $1400, on the farcebook Auckland bucket page being sold by a chap called Tarbon Walker

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Ah yeah they are listed as mx vests, are they ok for road racing too? That would definitely be the go not a bad price either.
    It meets the right standard, bit rigid by I don't notice it when racing.

Bike
    There is a bucket for sale at the mo which was $1400, on the farcebook Auckland bucket page being sold by a chap called Tarbon Walker
    Pretty sure that bike sold, at least it had done maybe it's back on the market.

In any case am probably going to buy a fairly stock FXR at a reasonable price, just talking to the owner about it.

Bike
    It meets the right standard, bit rigid by I don't notice it when racing.
    That would be the way to go, not sure about the chest protectors that don't have any straps, don't know how well they stay put.

Thread Information