Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manus Island

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex

Manus Island

So is Australia right to ignore the plight of the Manus Island refugees or should action be taken to at least ensure their health and safety?

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Ooooooo, that's a real tricky one. What's the GDP per capita of funding and does it represent value for money? Do you get a discount or better services if you allow yourself to be raped, beaten or tortured during your stay?
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    So is Australia right to ignore the plight of the Manus Island refugees or should action be taken to at least ensure their health and safety?
    If I were to come and start living in your Garden (without your consent or permission), then you moved house and told me that I had to go elsewhere, but I refused to leave - would you be responsible for my Health and Safety?
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    If I were to come and start living in your Garden (without your consent or permission), then you moved house and told me that I had to go elsewhere, but I refused to leave - would you be responsible for my Health and Safety?
    I expected no lesser answer from you.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I expected no lesser answer from you.
    likewise...

So when can I start sending you my Doctors Bills?

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    It's rather an odd situation all round, Australia sent them there, then shuts up shop and attempts to wash their hands of them.

Seems reasonable if they have been detained at a location not of their choice, that them who detained them are responsible for their welfare until they have somewhere acceptable to relocate to.

They could at least give them back the boat they arrived on, and let them make their own arrangements......
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    likewise...

So when can I start sending you my Doctors Bills?
    The difference being, I didn't install you in my garden.

(Besides, your mental health bills would bankrupt me).

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    The difference being, I didn't install you in my garden.

(Besides, your mental health bills would bankrupt me).
    You see - that's the point.

If I tried to move into your house (and be like ZOMG! Best buddies and roomies!) - and you said "No" and put me in your Garden - who instigated the entire scenario? You for maintaining your property and individual sovreignty? Or Me for trying to illegally move into your house?

And then you get to the point that you are no more willing than the Australian Government to pay for someone elses Health and Wellbeing.

and FYI - my Weight-related bills would bankrupt you long before you had a chance to send me to a shrink (although I think you'd be quite disappointed at the results of a Mental check up)

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Not quite the right analogy...

More like you catch someone trying to climb over the fence into your back yard, so agree with your neighbor that you can park the person in their back yard and you'll look after them, then move away and make it the neighbors problem.

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post

More like you catch someone trying to climb over the fence into your back yard, so agree with your neighbor that you can park the person in their back yard and you'll look after them, then move away and make it the neighbors problem.
    Still not quite right...you've paid your neighbour to look after them but he's spent the money on booze....

Apparently the Aussies have paid the PNG government millions - most of which has disappeared. Corrupt govt and the Aussies emulating Pontius Pilate in the handwashing stakes.

Not an easy fix at all.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post

The bit that you have to convince me of - is that it was my problem in the first place - if that is the case, then they are responsible. If not, then they are not.

And from my understanding - Those on the Island were given the choice of:

Return to where you came.
    Settle in PNG.
    Settle somewhere else.

Yet, for some reason they aren't happy with that, they want to get to Australia, at which point - they aren't refugees, they are Economic Migrants.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    The bit that you have to convince me of - is that it was my problem in the first place - if that is the case, then they are responsible. If not, then they are not.
    Agreed, unfortunately they have made it their problem by creating the place and sending people there, rather than just not let them into Australia and leave them to their own devices.
    And from my understanding - Those on the Island were given the choice of:

Return to where you came.
    Settle in PNG.
    Settle somewhere else.
    Yep, so give them their boat back and they can go wherever they like, make it their problem again.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Well I'm pleased to see that the New Zealand government is pledging 3 million dollars to support the plight of the refugees.

(And I'm mildly amused at the number of dumb fucks on here that seem more interested in wanking on about all their little guns).

Bike
    R6
    Legally, or morally? If you think morally, perhaps better question your own rights. Do you have more right to help directly, or to impose your morals on others to get them to help directly?

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Only 2 choices?

READ AND UDESTAND

Thread Information