Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from the States

Bike
    '14 Z1000SX, '10 Duc F1098S, '03 Z1000

Hello from the States

Hi all,

I am recently retired and will be coming to NZ for 3 months of touring about starting in January.

I am finding great information on here, particularly in the Visitors forum. I'm sure I will have lots of questions.

Bike
    A
    Welcome to the KB funny farm!

You'll find NZ is a lovely place to tour around, even better if doing it by motorcycle of course.

The scenery isn't bad for taking nice pics either...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hols Feb 14 015a.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	219.3 KB 
ID:	333290

Bike
    Thanks, caspernz. It looks beautiful and I am really longing forward to it. My friends who have been there tell me it is the best riding they have ever done.

I have a deposit on a used bike with Red Baron in Auckland.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Nice one mate, if you are heading up to the far north, I am always up for a ride so if you have the time, send me a pm on here.
    ps, you sure you are not the other "axzle" just trolling...again?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Will do Laava. Where are you located? I fly in and out of Auckland and have not decided whether to do Northland at the beginning (mid-January) or the end (early-April) of the trip. I am booked at an AirBnB for a week in Auckland, so will be looking to do some day trips once I get things sorted with the bike.

Don't know about this other "axzle".

Bike
    Will do Laava. Where are you located? I fly in and out of Auckland and have not decided whether to do Northland at the beginning (mid-January) or the end (early-April) of the trip. I am booked at an AirBnB for a week in Auckland, so will be looking to do some day trips once I get things sorted with the bike.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I am near whangarei, bro do yourself a favour and don't waste a week of motorcycling in auckland! Lol! It is about 160 km from auck to whangarei and plenty of unpopulated awesome biking roads. Much like the rest of nz. You will be spoilt for choice

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by axil View Post
    I wouldn't worry, he doesn't know about himself half the time either.

There is a thread about riders favourite North Island roads, some maps have been included.
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...(North-Island)

Bike
    Kawasaki EN500

Far north roads are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    I am near whangarei, bro do yourself a favour and don't waste a week of motorcycling in auckland! Lol! It is about 160 km from auck to whangarei and plenty of unpopulated awesome biking roads. Much like the rest of nz. You will be spoilt for choice
    Yes! The ride and road to Cape Reinga is amazing - do it :

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    I don't have much pre-booked, but I thought I would need a week to find a bike and get it sorted, as well as adjust to riding on the other side of the road, so I committed to a room for a week in Auckland. That was before I worked out a purchase from Red Baron. Oh well. It looks like I can get to some good roads for day trips before hitting the road or the rest of my trip.

A trip up to Cape Reinga is definitely on my list. Any advice as to whether it is better to do this in January or April? I have heard some places get very busy in January.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    There is a thread about riders favourite North Island roads, some maps have been included.
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...(North-Island)
    Thanks for the pointer, Maha. There is a ton of info there to digest. I will start finding those roads on my maps. Thanks to NZ Open Maps, I can do that on my computer and load the routes onto my GPS, which I will be bringing with me.

I found an old book, Great Escapes, Motorcycle Touring by Peter Mitchell, with lots of suggestions. On another thread here I found a ref to Twisting Throttle NZ and I have that on order from Amazon.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I don't have much pre-booked, but I thought I would need a week to find a bike and get it sorted, as well as adjust to riding on the other side of the road, so I committed to a room for a week in Auckland. That was before I worked out a purchase from Red Baron. Oh well. It looks like I can get to some good roads for day trips before hitting the road or the rest of my trip.

A trip up to Cape Reinga is definitely on my list. Any advice as to whether it is better to do this in January or April? I have heard some places get very busy in January.
    Any time is good up north but busiest in xmas to two weeks of Jan. Good to see you have spent a bit of time researching. What didi you buy?

Bike
    A
    Thanks for the pointer, Maha. There is a ton of info there to digest. I will start finding those roads on my maps. Thanks to NZ Open Maps, I can do that on my computer and load the routes onto my GPS, which I will be bringing with me.

I found an old book, Great Escapes, Motorcycle Touring by Peter Mitchell, with lots of suggestions. On another thread here I found a ref to Twisting Throttle NZ and I have that on order from Amazon.
    Great to hear you've been doing your homework! There tends to be a backlash against folks who post on here asking the very basic stuff without having had a look for themselves

As a rule of thumb, the busiest period in holiday spots is mid Dec to mid Jan, then once the school holidays are over at end of Jan you'll find it a bit quieter.

Even with your first week in Auckland, no shortage of places to go whilst you get used to riding on left hand side of the road. Be no shortage of guys willing to give you some pointers in terms of good roads etc. Have fun!

Bike
    Thanks. I am certainly open to all suggestions. We have no hard and fast plans other than spending the first week in Auckland and the last two weeks of February syncing up with friends in Christchurch who will be touring the South (CC across Arthur's Pass, down the west coast, Queenstown, Milford & Doubtful Sound, Ivercargill, and Dunedin; I expected we will be doing some of those places twice).

BTW, we have done lots of two wheeled touring, but this trip is way, way, way longer than anything we have done before.

I will be picking up a Sprint GT for the trip.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    A thought... the Waikato Branch of Ulysses Club plans a 1000km "treasure hunt" each year, the ride for 2018 is round Northland. It's not a rushed ride, you stop and find the answer and then move on. Past rides have been through some interesting country on enjoyable roads.

Here's the link: https://ulyssesclubwaikato.wordpress...thern-odyssey/

Imagine that past ride routes will still be available if you enjoy being sent on a "wild goose chase" where the wild goose is found!

Thread Information