Page 80 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 2124

Thread: MotoGP 2018

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post
    Enough about tyres. Tell me about oil again.
    Stirrer

The tyre thing is interesting though because it directly affects the outcome of races.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    ...some tracks place different demands on tires ie twisty tight vs open flowing or even the track friction or surface adhesion.
    I remember seeing years ago silicone moulds a tyre manufacturer had made from the asphalt of the track.

The square was a sample of the apex from turn whatever at a particular track. Then they could design the tyre around what the track had going on.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by speights_bud View Post
    I remember seeing years ago silicone moulds a tyre manufacturer had made from the asphalt of the track.

The square was a sample of the apex from turn whatever at a particular track. Then they could design the tyre around what the track had going on.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Neat stuff. tailor made.
    Here is some other snipets.
    Usually, the compounds are created based on experience from previous races and tests. Since each track is different, requiring different compounds, the tires delivered to events are frequently track-specific. For example, Losail uses an asymmetric compound because of the additional stresses on the right side of the tire since more than half of the turns are right handed. Also, the sand on Losail makes it more abrasive and requiring different compounds than those that would be used at COTA, for example.
    http://www.motorcycle.com/top10/top-...-tires.html/11

https://www.intentsgp.com/motogp-tyr...s-uninitiated/

In total, Michelin will use around 7 different front compounds and 11-12 different rear compounds during the 19 rounds.
    there are three events which require special attention this season - the new Buriram track, where an official pre-season test has been held, plus the resurfaced Silverstone and Barcelona circuits."Buriram, we needed to go. Barcelona has been resurfaced, so we have planned one test before and we will have data for that. Silverstone will also be resurfaced. We don't plan to do a test there, but we have an agreement with Dorna to bring four front specifications and four rear specifications, to be sure to have the right ones.
    "For the other tracks, we have enough experience and data after two years to make the right tyres."
    Assymetrical tyres- This tyre has a different compound on either side of it. It may have the Soft compund on the right side and Medium on the left depending on which side will be used more during the Grand Prix.
    It is like a Soft and Medium tyre chopped in half and then joined together to form one assymetrical tyre. This offers a perfect balance between speed and durability. While exiting right handed corners, you will have maximum grip as the softer side will be on the tarmac. But the tyre won't degrade as fast due to the Medium compound.
    A change for 2018 in terms of Michelin's wet tyres is that they will all feature asymmetric compounds.
    "All the rears are asymmetric. Last year we had some asymmetric tyres, some had a different compound on the left, some were the same compound [throughout]. This year they will be all asymmetric - specific for left-hand or right-hand circuits.
    "So more made-to-measure for the track. More specific to the track, like we do for the rear slicks."
    https://www.crash.net/motogp/feature...re-freeze-2018

Today, Michelin’s approach is different. Its strength has always been delivery; in the past, when they were in competition with Bridgestone, Michelin was able to bring tires to European races on Saturday night after having seen what worked better in the practices (but only for some riders). Last year after the Argentinian GP they were able to produce new tires for the whole MotoGP grid and send them to the other side of the world in almost a week. It was an impressive demonstration of what the French manufacturer is capable of in terms of know-how, technology and delivery.
    https://www.cycleworld.com/piero-tar...re-controversy
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Also on top of it is how the front tyre squishes under breaking which is more related to the carcus I believe but can be effected by the compound.
    MM from memory seems to prefer a symetrical front as its more consistent with the abuse he puts it through. Last year before they switched the carcus most the crashes were as they released the brake and entered the corner when the load was taken from the tyre

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

Bike
    ES XTZ

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Enough about tyres. Tell me about oil again.
    In a recent copy of Fast Bikes magazine, under Tech Talk, there is a oil article by LiquiMoly and they state they run 0w-10 oil in MotoGP bikes to have as little friction as possible. Requires a oil change every session.

Bike
    77 XL250
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    In a recent copy of Fast Bikes magazine, under Tech Talk, there is a oil article by LiquiMoly and they state they run 0w-10 oil in MotoGP bikes to have as little friction as possible. Requires a oil change every session.
    Yamaha also developed a new oil a while back which gave them a few more hp.

Enough exploring oil though thats illegal in our country

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Lower viscosity oil gives more horsepower so 0/10 sounds about right. Modern cars run 0/30.

Rea won’t be going to Yamaha or anywhere else in the GP paddock, he’s signed for two more years at Kawasaki.

A young man named Perez has died of injuries sustained in a multiple bike crash during a Moto3 Junior World Championship race.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    77 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    Yamaha also developed a new oil a while back which gave them a few more hp.

Enough exploring oil though thats illegal in our country

Please make it stop..... I promise to be good.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    OK this is not GPs, it's endurance racing, but this is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWEcrzzgZ3o

For the extensive repairs required, including a complete new front end, that bike was in the pits just twelve minutes.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Please make it stop..... I promise to be good.
    Time for an off topic oil meme from the internets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oil meme.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	337256

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Lower viscosity oil gives more horsepower so 0/10 sounds about right. Modern cars run 0/30.
    Mean my old Italian tractor/996 manual calls for 15-50 xD

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    OK this is not GPs, it's endurance racing, but this is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWEcrzzgZ3o

For the extensive repairs required, including a complete new front end, that bike was in the pits just twelve minutes.
    Just for good measure he dropped it in the pits as well.

Endurance racing is the bom. Love it.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    Mean my old Italian tractor/996 manual calls for 15-50 xD
    Yeah, I can remember that from when I had an S4R with a 996 motor. Shell were sponsoring Ducati and didn't make 10/40 which had been the recommended grade. Ducati could hardly recommend a grade their sponsor didn't offer so they changed the "official" grade to one that Shell did make. Less ponies, more heat, but sponsor's cash is powerful stuff.

Thread Information