Page 54 of 142 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: MotoGP 2018

Bike
    1993, Honda RVF400
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed View Post
    Throwing vast sums of money and resources at MotoGP is great... more strength to their arm. Imagining that it's naturally going to bring results... that's pretty optimistic.

I imagine that Ducati has thrown a chunk of change at MotoGP over the last decade and they've come close to a championship once.

If KTM wins a dry race over the next couple of seasons... that would be a stunning achievement. This season they're averaging just over 30 seconds down on the race winner. Which is an improvement over last year but....
    Only took Suzuki 2 seasons to win a race, They seem to be doing alright?

I would argue that KTM has more resources (not just money, but people that know how to make bikes go faster) at its disposal. A

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by ecko_nzed View Post

I would argue that KTM has more resources (not just money, but people that know how to make bikes go faster) at its disposal. A

Comparing Suzuki to KTM is interesting. Suzuki have had a history lately of going the wrong way - in % terms, maybe 70% of their decisions are correct. That's covering everything from bike layout to riders.

KTM, looked at across their involvement in everything MotoGP - incl 2 and 3 - would have a much higher correct decision rate. They would also have to be taking a leaf out of the old Honda book and training staff as they go. It looks like it's working to this point. It's going to be interesting to watch.

I see Honda and Yamaha as starting to stagnate. While the current regs are a bit stifling, some original thought must happen soon.

Bike
    Blade '12
    Apart from the 70's 80's 90's 00's up until 11 they have almost no experience whatsoever, zero, nil, clueless, inexperienced noobs.

KTM could make huge leaps forward. They could get MM to ride it. Don't see it happening but YMMV.

Bike
    1993, Honda RVF400
    Blog Entries
    Apart from the 70's 80's 90's 00's up until 11 they have almost no experience whatsoever, zero, nil, clueless, inexperienced noobs.

KTM could make huge leaps forward. They could get MM to ride it. Don't see it happening but YMMV.
    I said resources, not experience.

Sure Suzuki have racing experience, but the GSXRR was a brand new bike, in a new formula, with a new control tyre, in a new team, with new riders.

Bike
    Blade '12
    I said resources, not experience.

Sure Suzuki have racing experience, but the GSXRR was a brand new bike, in a new formula, with a new control tyre, in a new team, with new riders.

OK. I'll bet you $50 that they don't win a single dry race 2018 2019 seasons.

Aprillia had a kick ass WSBK and the continents will shift before they get a win.

ETA... and I'm seriously not a betting man.

Bike
    77 XL250
    Don't overlook that KTM have their own suspension to develop too. Everyone else has a large pool of Ohlins expertise to tap into. I imagine that could cost KTM an extra year of data gathering.
    Look at the Showa experience of a few years ago (Even with Honda throwing lots of money at it)
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post
    Don't overlook that KTM have their own suspension to develop too. Everyone else has a large pool of Ohlins expertise to tap into. I imagine that could cost KTM an extra year of data gathering.
    Look at the Showa experience of a few years ago (Even with Honda throwing lots of money at it)
    the problem with showa was there was only(bautista?) giving the data?

Bike
    77 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    the problem with showa was there was only(bautista?) giving the data?
    Eggzakery. Bradl was the Showa (and Nissin) testbed for a while too. Talk about being lonely in a crowd.

If KTM have 4 bikes that leaves 20 with Ohlins gathering data. I see it as a game where the target (tyres and track surface) is a moving one. I wonder if KTM will throw in the towel eventually and join the Ohlins camp or stay with WP to save face.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    Various things
    Eggzakery. Bradl was the Showa (and Nissin) testbed for a while too. Talk about being lonely in a crowd.

If KTM have 4 bikes that leaves 20 with Ohlins gathering data. I see it as a game where the target (tyres and track surface) is a moving one. I wonder if KTM will throw in the towel eventually and join the Ohlins camp or stay with WP to save face.
    Sometimes swimming upstream pays off. Ducati and Bridgestone in 2007?

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post

KTM, looked at across their involvement in everything MotoGP - incl 2 and 3 - would have a much higher correct decision rate. .
    That's more or less how they instantly went from zero to hero in the AMA supercross a few years ago.

Bike
    Exercycle

It works both ways...Do you want to be 10th in the queue for the attention of Ohlins - or have the adjustments done immediately by your own WP tech ?

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    It works both ways...Do you want to be 10th in the queue for the attention of Ohlins - or have the adjustments done immediately by your own WP tech ?
    Pretty much. Bit like the Ducati and Honda crew hiring Marino spaghetti engineers to tweak there electronics to give them the edge over the Yamaha and Suzuki crew on the spec electrics. Paid off big time!

Having WP tech right then and there analysing the data with your boys has got to be good. What is also true though is if the suspension is a turd to start off with it'll take lots of polishing and may still be a turd ...

Bike
    Blade '12
    I'm pretty sure every team has their own Ohlins tech full time. Possibly more than one. You'd never be tenth in line. How could that work?

Bike
    Exercycle
    I'm pretty sure every team has their own Ohlins tech full time. Possibly more than one. You'd never be tenth in line. How could that work?
    While I don't know how many trucks or techs they take to meetings now, at the WSB round here, there were only two techs to look after the Ohlins users.
    And yes, there was a queue...
    I'd be surprised if the out of Europe rounds had full Ohlins support.

Bike
    Blade '12
    Nah. Here's the Ducati team roster from a few years ago. Dovi and Iannone each have their own Ohlins tech.

http://www.ducati.com/racing/motogp/team_old/index.do

Thread Information