Thread: Force shift, transmission damage

Bike
    2017 Yamaha r6

Force shift, transmission damage

While stretching I accidentally pushed down on my shifter and shifted from 2nd to 1st.

Throttle was open to maybe 3-4000 revs and heard a clunk as it shifted down.

I heard some rattling for the next 10minutes commuting and then it stopped.

What should I do? How damaged are the dogs

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dave100 View Post

How damaged are the dogs
    if you're anything like c*ssina, they're proper fucked.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Drain the oil ... and see how much metal comes out with it ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Yep +1
    Hard to believe you did anything toooo serious at those revs if you were just tickling along having a scratch
    But check the drained oil carefully for lumps...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Yep +1
    Hard to believe you did anything toooo serious at those revs if you were just tickling along having a scratch
    But check the drained oil carefully for lumps...
    Any broken piece substantial enough to make an audible rattle in the engine whilst running wont come out when you drain the oil the sump plate will have to come off.
    For the scenario of the cause though it's just like an inadvertent clutchless downshift and at the revs shouldn't have done any damage apart from buffing up some metalware

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Any broken piece substantial enough to make an audible rattle in the engine whilst running wont come out when you drain the oil the sump plate will have to come off.
    For the scenario of the cause though it's just like an inadvertent clutchless downshift and at the revs shouldn't have done any damage apart from buffing up some metalware
    If there's big(ish) bits ... there's a pretty good chance of little bits.

But hey ... what's the worst that could happen ... with a few bits of metal loose in the gearbox ... ??
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    If there's big(ish) bits ... there's a pretty good chance of little bits.

But hey ... what's the worst that could happen ... with a few bits of metal loose in the gearbox ... ??
    Either way if there's big bits or small the sump will have come off

I've dealt with motors that have been absolute messes internally and the only thing that came out the drain bung was oil that looked like liquid metal and the sump pan when removed looked like the catch tray for a lathe, and the big items were still in the area they came from. Most of the galleries aren't big enough to let larger objects through so they stay captive in the chamber where they parted company

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements

I've dealt with motors that have been absolute messes internally and the only thing that came out the drain bung was oil that looked like liquid metal and the sump pan when removed looked like the catch tray for a lathe, and the big items were still in the area they came from. Most of the galleries aren't big enough to let larger objects through so they stay captive in the chamber where they parted company
    Indeed.
    Still, if the oil is clean (no grit or silvery sheen) and the backstory is honest I'd be inclined to just refill the oil and give it a run. If something broke on an accidental downshift at gentle power then the box is already poked, do you reckon? (I do clutchless changes quite often on purpose, when my old knuckles start to seize up) Maybe the noise is down to elevated senses after doing something unexpected?

Anyway, I feel a weekend project coming up...
    Go Dave
    We'll be here all weekend for advice!

Well, some of the weekend, it's looking quite fine so I may be out of cov_rage a_ea for mos_ _f __e tim_
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Exercycle

Generally true...But we never found the half piston and top end of the rod missing when we blew a CB750 in a speedway TQ....

And when Holden blew the BMS Ducati at Ruapuna there were bits of piston flew into the pits...

This guy has only minor damage. No one's let the dogs out.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Indeed.
    Still, if the oil is clean (no grit or silvery sheen) and the backstory is honest I'd be inclined to just refill the oil and give it a run. If something broke on an accidental downshift at gentle power then the box is already poked, do you reckon? (I do clutchless changes quite often on purpose, when my old knuckles start to seize up) Maybe the noise is down to elevated senses after doing something unexpected?
    Who knows?? without seeing it in the flesh one can only make assumptions and the best approach is prepare for the worst and be relieved when things aren't as bad as expected.
    I clutchless shift the majority of the time due to mainly riding with one arm and resting my munted left on the tank, do it often enough and it isn't an issue in either direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Generally true...But we never found the half piston and top end of the rod missing when we blew a CB750 in a speedway TQ....

And when Holden blew the BMS Ducati at Ruapuna there were bits of piston flew into the pits...

This guy has only minor damage. No one's let the dogs out.
    I've got the remnants of a XR250 piston that ended up sitting in the sump after the engine handgrenaded itself...looks like it spent time getting thumped by an english hammer
    Saw plenty of interesting things at Chappies dealing with cockies and their dam bikes, that's where you see the full extent of abuse & neglect and the results caused by thus....pisses you off to see how brutal some of the pricks can be

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by dave100 View Post
    While stretching I accidentally pushed down on my shifter and shifted from 2nd to 1st.

Throttle was open to maybe 3-4000 revs and heard a clunk as it shifted down.

I heard some rattling for the next 10minutes commuting and then it stopped.

What should I do? How damaged are the dogs
    Only 10mins? Sweet its fixed itself.

Thread Information