Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bike preparation, who reads the rules regarding numbers

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I'm not sympathetic, sorry. I saw a whole days racing done in light snow at Teretonga - and no one fell on the warmup laps....At several meetings down here it's been stated quite firmly, fall off and you're on the trailer going home. Hasn't reduced entries.
    That's fucking retarded. The warm up lap is for warming things up. Ya gotta push on a bit or you're a hazard for the race.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    That's fucking retarded. The warm up lap is for warming things up. Ya gotta push on a bit or you're a hazard for the race.
    More correctly - it's a sighting lap. That's why, one year at Wyndham, I gave the pre 63 field an extra sighting lap cos there had been oil spilt and powder laid.
    They needed a good look at it.
    Most riders don't know how to warm brakes on a sighting lap, Holden had very definite opinions on that. He'd come in complaining of nearly being taken out at the first corner by a muppet who was relying on cold brakes. Tyres aren't such a great problem now.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    In classic racing its to swerve back and forth under the illusion its warming up what are probably 10 year old tyres
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    More correctly - it's a sighting lap. That's why, one year at Wyndham, I gave the pre 63 field an extra sighting lap cos there had been oil spilt and powder laid.
    They needed a good look at it.
    Most riders don't know how to warm brakes on a sighting lap, Holden had very definite opinions on that. He'd come in complaining of nearly being taken out at the first corner by a muppet who was relying on cold brakes. Tyres aren't such a great problem now.
    Pricks that dawdle round the warm up lap give me the shits.
    I dunno what they think they're doing weaving from side to side either. They do it so slow it will be having zero affect.

Bike
    BSA A10
    I dunno what they think they're doing weaving from side to side either. They do it so slow it will be having zero affect.
    It has zero effect regardless

If you fall off on a warm up lap you're out of that race at least because you need to be scrutineered again and you're a knob (we won't talk about spinning)
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    even got a certificate
    i'd dread to think of what else you're certified for, or that you're certified for carrying,,,,

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    Last time out I broke my collarbone on the first turn out of the pits and I wasn't doing anything silly. I was on wets on a mostly dry track but still got caught out by a sudden drop in air/track temperature. I've also seen guys crash on the warm up lap cos of a rain shower 30 seconds before the pit exit opened. Suspending or fining people in those instances is very harsh and unwarranted and likely to lead to fewer people on the grid.
    I'm not sympathetic, sorry. I saw a whole days racing done in light snow at Teretonga - and no one fell on the warmup laps....At several meetings down here it's been stated quite firmly, fall off and you're on the trailer going home. Hasn't reduced entries.
    Funnily enough we see significantly fewer crashes overall when it's wet etc. Crashes on the warm up laps aren't common at all. However, some days at Taupo turn 2 is a shocker. Even knowing that and taking it easy I still crashed (off throttle high side).
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Thread Information