Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bike preparation, who reads the rules regarding numbers

Bike
    Nowt any more
    Apparently Bunnings offer the testing and tagging service, for a fee.
    You cannot just buy tags.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Ono Lennon.

"If you have never stared off into the distance then your life is a shame." Counting Crows

"The girls were in tight dresses, just like sweets in cellophane" Joe Jackson

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyb View Post
    Apparently Bunnings offer the testing and tagging service, for a fee.
    You cannot just buy tags.
    i'll tag anyone at Taupo and manfeild for the suzuki series gear for free, if they have legal size numbers on their bike..

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Its Health and Safety compliance, tracks are business's therefore they have to enforce it.not so, testing and tagging are optional, unless the site owner specifies it as a requirement, it is not the law
    Leads are annual depends on what the work site is classified as entirely, some are three monthly, some five yearlybut other items that are not subject to wear and tear eg coffee machines are 5 years.again this vaires depending on the siteChargers for the S/C toys may be annual if they get a lot of hard use.

I did see mention of only closed footwear in the pits somewhere....AMCC recently?
    I only do Classic Racing and helmet check is always done on the dummy grid.
    closed footwear is usually for pit lane

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i'll tag anyone at Taupo and manfeild for the suzuki series gear for free, if they have legal size numbers on their bike..
    Hardly seems fair to single out superbikes to not give a hand too.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Christ, there are hundreds of things to tag that come to the track. This'll be fun.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    closed footwear is usually for pit lane

Interesting about the T and T legality.

Govt site says it not a legal requirement yet vendors say it is....

http://www.energysafety.govt.nz/appl...est-tag-regime

https://www.tagtestingelectrical.co....ical-safety-nz

http://www.complyguy.co.nz/about-tes...g/legislation/

Hampton Downs are charging a H and S levy at each meeting, nice couple of grand for __________.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Other peoples weapons....
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Interesting about the T and T legality.

Govt site says it not a legal requirement yet vendors say it is....

http://www.energysafety.govt.nz/appl...est-tag-regime

https://www.tagtestingelectrical.co....ical-safety-nz

http://www.complyguy.co.nz/about-tes...g/legislation/

Hampton Downs are charging a H and S levy at each meeting, nice couple of grand for __________.

It's not a legal requirement for stores to have a fire extinguisher in them either, but it is usually an insurance requirement. However, it doesn't mean it can be used. Your own H&S policy may exclude you from ever using it.
    Is it still beastiality if ya fuck a frozen chicken??

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by scrivy View Post
    It's not a legal requirement for stores to have a fire extinguisher in them either, but it is usually an insurance requirement. However, it doesn't mean it can be used. Your own H&S policy may exclude you from ever using it.
    It was pointed out to me that I have a dry powder fire extinguisher and once you let it off that's it and the powder gets into everything. Messy.

But yes we have Fire Extinguishers and the policy is if you have had not training to leave the building.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    and one of my points is to point these things out and get them written betterer, personally i'd never given a thought to the pit exit being a much more logical place to catch peoples eyes, rather than at the front row of a huge grid....
    each track of course is different but that makes a lot more sense.
    On the dummy grid makes a lot more sense to me as nobody should be entering the track without confirming everything is zipped/buttoned/clipped. The risk of crashing is often higher on the out lap, just check out any meeting at Taupo during the colder months. One track day and the following race meeting the next day there the first person to leave the pits in the first few sessions crashed at turn 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    One of hundreds of tweaks needed to the rules. For instance, the rules say that a board should be shown on the start line for all riders to check their helmets. For road racing this is done on the dummy grid before leaving the pits, but there's no rule to cover doing that.
    It's always done at MCI events on the start line
    Great at meetings where there are people on the start grid, but a lot of meetings run without anyone out there. Also, as above, showing it on the start grid doesn't help if you crash on the warm up. I've been sitting on the start grid with 2 others while everyone behind was red flagged because of a bad crash on the warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Now there's a challenge....If I was still involved, I'd be interested. Street race meetings generally in my experience anyway, are run by the book and to the letter. The legal penalties for getting it wrong are so bad that you simply have to dot all the I's etc...

The lack of people on the start line is a side effect of using car systems just because they're in place. We are not compelled to use lights or computerised start sequences. Do some people a lot of good to see a flag start occasionally.
    You're right about Street races generally being much more pedantic about the rules. Getting it wrong can mean someone going to jail.

But, not putting someone on the start grid is often down to not enough volunteers. The start grid is a non-essential position and is not mandated by MNZ, but the number of marshals on each corner is. So if there's no extra volunteers the job doesn't get filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcktfsh View Post
    Another little issue I can see arising at round 1 of the Suzuki series is tagging of cords warmers etc. At a recent Taupo track day riders were warned tags would be checked at round 1 and on the entry confirmation the rather all encompassing "all electrical goods must have a current electrical safety test tag", all electrical goods potentially means a large number of items from cellphones to coffee machines and in the case of sidecar riders battery operated sexy lady pleaser toys. Correct me if I'm wrong but the initial tagging requirement came from some tracks if you were plugging into their power supply yet now, as is the way in the modern world has spread to Jared Love's battery operated sex doll.
    Biggest problem for me is where can you get your gear checked? At certain meetings there's often someone who is certified and running around doing the checks for $20 or so. But I'd rather get it all sorted before going to the track so that's something I don't have to worry about.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    going by the normal world, only Jared Love's Battery Charger would have to be tested, the batterys them selves do not have to be tested,

so he will only need to have the battery charger tested and tagged if he needs to recharge them at the track ,

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    going by the normal world, only Jared Love's Battery Charger would have to be tested, the batterys them selves do not have to be tested,

so he will only need to have the battery charger tested and tagged if he needs to recharge them at the track ,
    he's got the new solar powered model i'm told, fucks like a rattlesnake all day long then just like a wife when the suns goes down

Bike
    Exercycle

You're right about Street races generally being much more pedantic about the rules. Getting it wrong can mean someone going to jail.

But, not putting someone on the start grid is often down to not enough volunteers. The start grid is a non-essential position and is not mandated by MNZ, but the number of marshals on each corner is. So if there's no extra volunteers the job doesn't get done
    Have the rules changed ? A mechanical starting device can be used but only after clearance from an official at the startline area (old 6.6.9a)
    Local to me this means the red flag comes off then the computer sequence starts for the lights.

And Marshals - a "sufficient number" (old 3.12)

Crashing on the warmup lap - it's mandated to be under the yellow flag. I'd be issuing suspensions and/or fines.

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Have the rules changed ? A mechanical starting device can be used but only after clearance from an official at the startline area (old 6.6.9a)
    Local to me this means the red flag comes off then the computer sequence starts for the lights.
    Usually the flaggie that waves the chequered is the one to give the all clear. But they're a way down the track from the start of the grid (the bike grids start further back than the car grids at both HD and Taupo for some reason - transponders maybe?).

And Marshals - a "sufficient number" (old 3.12)
    All nice and vague that. The number of marshals required at each track is specified by MNZ and a meeting can't be run if you don't have at least that number of marshals. A start/finish flaggie is also required, even if there's lights. But there's often no start grid marshal at many club meetings.

Crashing on the warmup lap - it's mandated to be under the yellow flag. I'd be issuing suspensions and/or fines.
    Last time out I broke my collarbone on the first turn out of the pits and I wasn't doing anything silly. I was on wets on a mostly dry track but still got caught out by a sudden drop in air/track temperature. I've also seen guys crash on the warm up lap cos of a rain shower 30 seconds before the pit exit opened. Suspending or fining people in those instances is very harsh and unwarranted and likely to lead to fewer people on the grid.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Exercycle

Last time out I broke my collarbone on the first turn out of the pits and I wasn't doing anything silly. I was on wets on a mostly dry track but still got caught out by a sudden drop in air/track temperature. I've also seen guys crash on the warm up lap cos of a rain shower 30 seconds before the pit exit opened. Suspending or fining people in those instances is very harsh and unwarranted and likely to lead to fewer people on the grid.
    I'm not sympathetic, sorry. I saw a whole days racing done in light snow at Teretonga - and no one fell on the warmup laps....At several meetings down here it's been stated quite firmly, fall off and you're on the trailer going home. Hasn't reduced entries.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by scrivy View Post
    Fully qualified to use one, I did an online module on them, even got a certificate
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Thread Information