Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: south island loop

Bike
    Triumph Street Cup

south island loop

Hi all,
    Long time lurker first time poster,

Orignaly from Naki having backpacked around the world including riding SAE,India,Nepal having recently divorced and sold up in Naki to move to closer to family in Tasman region (first time in south island ever in 2016 and never going back.) done alot around nelson, Picton, Marlborough , Blenheim, tasman regions so heading south to do the rest, leaving in a couple of weeks ish.

Taking the opportunity being inbetwwen jobs to take a full loop tour of the south island on my new triumph street cup(so No ADV, off road stuff), chill and see this wicked country of ours.
    0 time limit going to take my sweet time so maybe 4 weeks ish..or longer who knows? would like to do as much freedom camping as possible, but with all the freedom camper hate i see maybe this will be too much hassle?( have a little bivi style tent and cooker I'm taking anyway but) Was hopeing for 80% camping 20% cabin/room for recharging batterys go pro camera etc...

Thinking seeing as my base is close will prob head westport first then greymouth, before heading over aruthers pass to christchurch & akeroa and then loop around and back up the west coast pretty much want to see everthing i can, without planning much just like to turn up...but was just woundering if anyone had any suggestions as in ..must see ...must do ...outside of the normal,... tourist trail? ( assume that I'm already doing the full south island sights/roads) Or any freedom camp/or camping site recomendations? Hidden gems? Or if anyone is intrested in going for a ride as im passing through the area?

Cheers

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetAsNz View Post
    Hi all,
    Long time lurker first time poster,

Cheers
    Best plan is go south on the west side as far as you can / want then go north (up the middle is best). The Southern Scenic Route is nice. Milford Sound is too.

Freedom camping is frowned on, in or near towns and cities. Or at/near popular holiday spots. Plenty of places to camp though ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    all sorts
    Do everything with the word 'pass' on the end.
    Catlins is pretty good if you get down that far.
    Stay inland on the east side.
    He who makes a beast out of himself
    Gets rid of the pain of being a man

Bike
    Triumph Street Cup
    thanks guys.... why do you say go south on west side? instead of east my theory was on the left coastly side down and up if I go the other way? any reason for that?\

cheers

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    thanks guys.... why do you say go south on west side? instead of east my theory was on the left coastly side down and up if I go the other way? any reason for that?\

cheers
    The east coast Kaikoura way is munted. Christchurch - Oamaru is BORING ... and the south island west coast is so fucking good (when it's NOT raining) ... you'll probably want to do it twice.

The Lewis pass is about 3 million cars & trucks per day (ok I exaggerate a little) and is not the great ride it once was. The road is getting munted, Traffic is very heavy (both directions), roadworks and accidents slow/stop traffic ... and so progress is very slow.

The southern east coast is a great ride. Even highway one isn't too bad. Go inland from Oamaru - Tekapo - Geraldine - Springfield will keep you off most of the boring bits ...

A ride side trip to Arthurs Pass township from both sides is an awesome ride. Don't worry that you'll cover the same road twice ... it IS worth the effort.

However ... When I tour without a plan ... I try to go where the rain aint.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The east coast Kaikoura way is munted. Christchurch - Oamaru is BORING ... and the south island west coast is so fucking good (when it's NOT raining) ... you'll probably want to do it twice.

The Lewis pass is about 3 million cars & trucks per day (ok I exaggerate a little) and is not the great ride it once was. The road is getting munted, Traffic is very heavy (both directions), roadworks and accidents slow/stop traffic ... and so progress is very slow.

The southern east coast is a great ride. Even highway one isn't too bad. Go inland from Oamaru - Tekapo - Geraldine - Springfield will keep you off most of the boring bits ...

A ride side trip to Arthurs Pass township from both sides is an awesome ride. Don't worry that you'll cover the same road twice ... it IS worth the effort.

hasn't rained here in three weeks,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Christchurch - Oamaru is BORING ...

Geraldine - Springfield will keep you off most of the boring bits ...

think ChCh to Omers is boring will see you dead sunshine, that's one thing it is not....switch your brain off there and it'll bite and the thing that causes most accidents for tourists....the panoramic vista of the southern alps

And Geraldine to Springfield has one of the most boring unpleasurable straights made..... you're hiding under the foothills of the alps with nothing to look at apart from the road
    Plus this time of year & the next few months you've got more chance of getting cleaned up through there by ol farmer bob or one of his contractors trundling out of a farm gateway in his combine or farm hack truck oblivious to the world around them

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Plus this time of year & the next few months you've got more chance of getting cleaned up through there by ol farmer bob or one of his contractors trundling out of a farm gateway in his combine or farm hack truck oblivious to the world around them
    Highway 1 or 72 ... guess which I prefer ... I'll take my chances with the combine ...

Bike
    Highway 1 or 72 ... guess which I prefer ... I'll take my chances with the combine ...
    Suppose it's a bit of a novelty for some when it isn't their own backyard

Bike
    Exercycle
    Inland road for me - even if it is my own backyard. SH1 is frustration/boredom between passing lanes. Or alternatively, licence risking bursts to pass heavy traffic. But I'm a lot further inland than you are....

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Inland road for me - even if it is my own backyard. SH1 is frustration/boredom between passing lanes. Or alternatively, licence risking bursts to pass heavy traffic. But I'm a lot further inland than you are....
    Admittedly where you're located is where 72 has some interest to it from the Rakaia Gorge through to Waddington but south of the gorge especially Mayfield to Arundel is torture & unpredictably dangerous due to it being the heart of feral redneck country (something to do with being tucked in under the foothills).
    And all the exciting back roads are off 72 and trust me there's some wee gems tucked nicely away in the foothills

And as for SH1 being frustration & boredom it's anything but & as I've said think of it that way and it'll bite, living with it right on my doorstep for nigh on 28yrs taught me that quick, commuting 700km+ per week for work over a number of years and through a couple of jobs driving a multitude of different vehicles on it I've seen all the shit it can throw.
    The frustration & boredom only comes from dealing with the numpties who DO switch off on it, even the are as predictable as buggery always on the same beat, same park-up spots (never changed in 28yrs), the fleet of mufties you can set your watch to.
    One thing you learn when travelling it consistently is the ability to gauge the vehicles sharing the road around you, heros & halfwits never fail to reinforce this.

Bike
    Triumph Street Cup

thanks great info/reasons and also pretty much what I have planned so all good 8-)

Bike
    Triumph Street Cup
    yeah I guess it All will be for me 8-)

Bike
    Triumph Street Cup
    thanks all very helpful I'm off tomorrow

cheers

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    thanks great info/reasons and also pretty much what I have planned so all good 8-)
    From Picton ... head directly through to Havelock via the sounds. It is winding and narrow in parts ... but the views are brilliant. From there through to nelson. Golden Bay (Takaka/Collingwood area) is worth the effort over the "Marble Mountain" ... but the advent and popularity of Campervans means the ride is usually not as great as it used to be. It's still a good ride though ...

Thread Information