Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof Summer Gloves

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    I tried XXXL latex over my summer gloves it works, i did this on the 1K the other week.
    Doing it that way around sounds like a good idea, I'll have to try that. Do have Rain-off over-gloves that I use in winter but they are a bit much for summer riding.

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Short of going to an over glove you're not gonna find a truly waterproof summer glove.

My answer is to run around with 2 pairs of the same glove, racing style with long cuff. Dries fairly quickly and does a reasonable job of keeping water out, but then I've treated them with leather conditioner.
    I do that but the problem is when your riding several days in succession. For example when I did the NI1600 it rained on the way up there so that was one pair gone, then rained on the ride so the second pair was soaked. Neither had dried out for the ride home. When I'm doing distance rides I only stop for 4 hours each night so that's never enough time for leather gloves to dry out. Do wonder if these textile ones are better on that score?

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    In the past I was a fan of Marigold dish washing gloves. I used to wear them over my polyprop thermal gloves and under my leather gloves. One day I forgot my leather gloves and had my pink marigold exposed. Zero traffic incidents and no sweaty palms.

Use the powdered latex not the natural. I use talc in my latex evening wear.
    When I lived for a while in Norwich in the UK there was a guy called "Marigold". He used to stand in the middle of road junctions waving his arms around madly "directing" traffic with a pair of marigold gloves on until the police moved him on. In the end they'd have to arrest him but a few days later he'd be out and doing it all over again.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    your requirement is a total oxymoron.read it aloud to your self .water proof summer gloves?

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    I'm after is a pair of summer weight gloves which:
    • Are really waterproof i.e. can handle several hours of heavy rain Check
    • Either don't have a liner or the liner is firmly fitted so it doesn't get tangled etc. Check
    • Don't want thermal linings etc that will be too warm in summer Check
    • Well made Check
    • Are gauntlet style i.e. long cuff Check
    • Enough feel that I can get cards out of my wallet at petrol stations or operate a camera without taking them off (if I have to stop I like to do it for as short a time as possible:-)) Check
    • Good length on fingers and thumb (thumbs are often too short for me on gloves) Check
    • Ideally available at a shop in Christchurch so I can try before I buy Nup
    Held Air N Dry

3 Season gauntlet glove with 2 compartments. Lower for Summer with perforated kangaroo leather palm and upper compartment is Gore-tex for when it rains.

Also available with 3 finger lengths, short, standard or long.

Not cheap though, but perhaps worth a look.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Held Air N Dry

3 Season gauntlet glove with 2 compartments. Lower for Summer with perforated kangaroo leather palm and upper compartment is Gore-tex for when it rains.

Also available with 3 finger lengths, short, standard or long.

Not cheap though, but perhaps worth a look.
    Had a look and yes that's the sort of thing I'm looking for. Reading one of the reviews apparently BMW rebrand the same gloves a 2 in 1 which may make them easier to track down here. I'll check out Avon City as they may have the BMW ones.

A mate has also suggested Klim Quest gloves, there's a dealer for those in Kaiapoi.

Neither option is going to be cheap, that's the problem with being a fussy bugger.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    In the past I was a fan of Marigold dish washing gloves. I used to wear them over my polyprop thermal gloves and under my leather gloves. One day I forgot my leather gloves and had my pink marigold exposed. Zero traffic incidents and no sweaty palms.

Use the powdered latex not the natural. I use talc in my latex evening wear.
    Rain offs, take a bit to get used to but on a long ride in summer and winter rain your mitts stay dry. Be lucky to find truly waterproof gloves. Would not skimp on protection for sake of ability to fiddle with cameras etc while riding, hands should be on the bars and concentration on the road, use a car and save that 60 seconds it takes to take yer gloves off to get your card out ( which will be less frequent).
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Neither option is going to be cheap, that's the problem with being a fussy bugger.
    Those Klim gloves look good to me too.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Looking at the OP's ummm optimistic(?) requirements the thought occurred that two different pairs of gloves may be a better solution. I don't normally travel with only one pair so that doesn't seem like a silly suggestion to me.

I do second the motion for Held as a brand, I don't have the Air and Dry but I have had four different pairs, none of which were bought in NZ. If you follow the appropriate sixing instructions you should get gloves that fit. Better to try before you buy though, but that probably makes the task of matching that list impossible rather than just very difficult.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Looking at the OP's ummm optimistic(?) requirements the thought occurred that two different pairs of gloves may be a better solution. I don't normally travel with only one pair so that doesn't seem like a silly suggestion to me.

I do second the motion for Held as a brand, I don't have the Air and Dry but I have had four different pairs, none of which were bought in NZ. If you follow the appropriate sixing instructions you should get gloves that fit. Better to try before you buy though, but that probably makes the task of matching that list impossible rather than just very difficult.
    I had a pair of Held waterproof gloves for 6 years until they finally started to leak - pretty darned good. A wee bit sweaty in summer though. All I do at the moment is slip the good old Rain-Off overgloves over the top of my non-waterproof Spidi summer gloves when it's wet and that arrangement works pretty well. However, I've just invested in Dainese waterproof 3 season gloves which gets good reviews, simply to give a bit more choice. These are the gloves: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dainese-Tem...3KzaQg&vxp=mtr . I've gone for the short cuff to wear under my GoreTex jacket but they're available in long cuff too. Just waiting for them to arrive from the US.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Held Air N Dry
    perforated kangaroo leather palm and upper compartment
    Is it wrong that I am getting excited?

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Review of Dainese TD does appear to cover a few bases for summer/ scooter riding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wBYAPUTt-k Like to see them dip gloves in bucket of water for a while to show how waterproof they are. Fitment is an issue, I got a beaut pair of Spada Storm on-line that fit the hand good but the fingers are way too long, as yet have yet to get wet or cold hands in them over winter riding (I use rain offs in down pours). Lot to be said for trying gear on in the shops. Shame the manufacturers can't make bespoke items to suit rider and riding conditions.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    your requirement is a total oxymoron.read it aloud to your self .water proof summer gloves?
    Bastard. You beat me to 'oxymoron'. But yeah ... waterproof summer gloves would be one in my humble opinion.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    Review of Dainese TD does appear to cover a few bases for summer/ scooter riding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wBYAPUTt-k Like to see them dip gloves in bucket of water for a while to show how waterproof they are. Fitment is an issue, I got a beaut pair of Spada Storm on-line that fit the hand good but the fingers are way too long, as yet have yet to get wet or cold hands in them over winter riding (I use rain offs in down pours). Lot to be said for trying gear on in the shops. Shame the manufacturers can't make bespoke items to suit rider and riding conditions.
    They arrived this morning and are a great fit. They look very well made. If I was going on a long haul, I'd still rely on the Rain-Offs over my summer gloves but the Dainese will give me options over shorter distances. Prices vary a bit. I quite often use Revzilla but on this occasion, an outfit advertising on eBay (perf-moto) were selling them at the same price of US$99 but with free postage to NZ.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    I remember seeing an ad for these in a magazine, can’t comment on how effective the ‘outdry’ waterproofing is but claims to be a summer glove and available locally, $229.

http://www.motorcyclegearnz.com/tour...outdry-gloves/
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Thread Information