Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof Summer Gloves

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries

Waterproof Summer Gloves

I'm after is a pair of summer weight gloves which:
    • Are really waterproof i.e. can handle several hours of heavy rain
    • Either don't have a liner or the liner is firmly fitted so it doesn't get tangled etc.
    • Don't want thermal linings etc that will be too warm in summer
    • Well made
    • Are gauntlet style i.e. long cuff
    • Enough feel that I can get cards out of my wallet at petrol stations or operate a camera without taking them off (if I have to stop I like to do it for as short a time as possible:-))
    • Good length on fingers and thumb (thumbs are often too short for me on gloves)
    • Ideally available at a shop in Christchurch so I can try before I buy

All the waterproof gloves I've found seem to be made for winter. In winter I use a pair of Kinco gloves which I cover with rain-off over-gloves so got that covered.

If not waterproof then a glove that can quickly dry would be ok (e.g. some sort of textile glove?)

Got two pairs of summer leather gloves without liners but neither are waterproof. Normally I take both and then just swap them in one set get wet but they can take ages to dry. I know I could just put the Rain-offs over the top but hate having to stop to do this when riding

Anyone got any suggestions?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Do what I do: don't ride in the rain. HTH
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Your last requirement should be your first course of action...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Your last requirement should be your first course of action...
    Have looked around a few times but not found anything suitable. My favourite place in Christchurch for getting clothing etc used to be Hampton Motorcycles as they always had a good range:-( Have also tried McIver & Veitch in Dunedin and Timaru Yamaha but no luck so far.

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Do what I do: don't ride in the rain. HTH
    But I like riding in the rain, it saves me having to shower when I get home;-)

Actually, strangely, I don't mind riding in it. I just hate having to put on still wet gloves the following morning.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Git some dirt bike gloves. They have a bit of armour, dry in minutes and are very comfortable. Not sure how they would hold up stepping off at 100kmh on tar seal but they take a beating being palmed on gravel.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    A
    Short of going to an over glove you're not gonna find a truly waterproof summer glove.

My answer is to run around with 2 pairs of the same glove, racing style with long cuff. Dries fairly quickly and does a reasonable job of keeping water out, but then I've treated them with leather conditioner.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I don't think they exist to your specifications - generally summer gloves are ventilated (nice) thus let water in.

I have read about (fuck I sound like Cassia) riders wearing thin latex gloves under motorcycle gloves - obviously very waterproof. Never tried it myself but I'm with HDC - wet leaves rain spots on ya paint

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I don't think they exist to your specifications - generally summer gloves are ventilated (nice) thus let water in.

I have read about (fuck I sound like Cassia) riders wearing thin latex gloves under motorcycle gloves - obviously very waterproof. Never tried it myself but I'm with HDC - wet leaves rain spots on ya paint
    latex makes your hands sweat - my hands are always sopping when I take off my latex.......
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

I tried XXXL latex over my summer gloves it works, i did this on the 1K the other week.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    latex makes your hands sweat - my hands are always sopping when I take off my latex.......
    In the past I was a fan of Marigold dish washing gloves. I used to wear them over my polyprop thermal gloves and under my leather gloves. One day I forgot my leather gloves and had my pink marigold exposed. Zero traffic incidents and no sweaty palms.

Use the powdered latex not the natural. I use talc in my latex evening wear.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    I tried XXXL latex over my summer gloves it works, i did this on the 1K the other week.

XXXL gloves or condoms

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    In the past I was a fan of Marigold dish washing gloves. I used to wear them over my polyprop thermal gloves and under my leather gloves. One day I forgot my leather gloves and had my pink marigold exposed. Zero traffic incidents and no sweaty palms.

Use the powdered latex not the natural. I use talc in my latex evening wear.
    Talcum powder in latex wear and vaseline in the leather stuff aye...

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Brace yourselves boys, semi-serious suggestion coming up...

How about getting a small pair of winter gloves and ripping the lining out? I have old gloves that I use for spares where the leather outer is still good cos I take care of them but the linings have fallen apart. Obviously you'd have to be careful not to rip out any waterproof membrane but most of the lining is just foam.

or it could just be an expensive mistake
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Brace yourselves boys, semi-serious suggestion coming up...

How about getting a small pair of winter gloves and ripping the lining out? I have old gloves that I use for spares where the leather outer is still good cos I take care of them but the linings have fallen apart. Obviously you'd have to be careful not to rip out any waterproof membrane but most of the lining is just foam.

or it could just be an expensive mistake
    Actually I like that idea, though it may make them a bit loose. Got an old pair of winter gloves where the linings stuffed so I'll give it a go.

Thread Information