Thread: Exhaust reducer

Bike
    Yes

Exhaust reducer

I’ve got an aftermarket exhaust that came with the standard 3 set reducer sleeves., the smallest being 35mm. My header pipes are 35mm too. My question is how damn tight do you have to tighten the clamp to get these reducers to work. I’ve got all 3 in (like Russian dolls) but it doesn’t seem to want to tighten. Any suggestions on what might work or I for it sounds as though I am doing something wrong.

Cheers

Bike
    Yes
    Just done some more research on the interweb, seems to be some suggestions to cut up aluminium cans and use them as shims to pack things out a bit, with hi temp silicon between.

Anyone used this method before (and was it successful)?

Bike
    suzuki
    none of your photos have come out, best try again.

Bike
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    none of your photos have come out, best try again.
    It is a set of these

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...-80-47310.html

Bike
    suzuki
    whats the muffler internal diamter then?

Bike
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    whats the muffler internal diamter then?

It’s 45mm internal dia. It’s similiar to this

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/chrom...e-muffler.html

Cheers

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure you can pack tow of the three reduces together (one inside the other). This may give you the size you desire.

Note if you have been swinging on a spanner trying to tighten the clamp to fit you may need to open up the muffler flange a tad as it may now be squished.

Bike
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can pack tow of the three reduces together (one inside thoe other). This may give you the size you desire.

Note if you have been swinging on a spanner trying to tighten the clamp to fit you may need to open up the muffler flange a tad as it may now be squished.
    At the moment I’ve got all three in and it’s still slightly too large. I’ve tightened it pretty tight bit the gap in the reducer hasn’t closed fully (as I thought it might have). Will measure it in the morning and see what dia it has reduced to. If it’s way over 35mm then I guess I need to work out how to tighten it better.

I’ve some copper strip that I might use to wrap around the header pipes to pack it out a bit.

Cheers

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can pack tow of the three reduces together (one inside the other). This may give you the size you desire.

That's how the reducers are meant to be used and most likely what the OP is doing too.
    But the clamps aren't the flashest of items and sometimes splaying the tabs the bolt runs through a bit helps, also the area the clamp tightens down on is pretty small & hasn't got a large contact area to grab the header or balance pipe so worst case scenario is to cut another matching flute opposite to the 1st one into the muffler so it pulls down tighter

Bike
    Yes
    I think TWR has hit the nail on the head, I closed up the smallest reducer today and it went small enough to make it a tight fit over the pipe so the issue us getting the slip on muffler to press down and close up the reducers. I think either cutting some more slots or packing out the pipe is the way to go, or maybe a better clamp.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Bit of a case of "been there done that" globe ; fitted a pair of identical mufflers to the 750 not too long ago

One thing though if you're packing the out the pipe for a bit of extra girth I'd be inclined to use some of the dreaded exhaust wrap rather than ali can, the wrap partially cooks once in place & under use forming a solid seal whereas strips of ali can are so thin that over time basically bake & go brittle and get blown out plus it's a bit of a rangi quick fix

Thread Information