Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ASITT (Another South Island Tour Thread)...

Bike
    2023 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    I'm crossing south tomorrow. Looks like perfect weather! Karamea first night for us.

If you end up at Westport, at the very least shot up to see the Denniston Incline. Not far out of your way and an amazing place to visit.
    Nice! Thanks for the idea. Hadn't heard of Denniston... Looked it up, looked interesting, added it to the itinerary. The day I'm going from Cape Foulwind to Karamea and back down to Inangahua Junction, I didn't anything else planned, so an extra little excursion or two that day is welcome.

My plans are starting to come together nicely. I'm leaving things a bit loose though, so I can add or subtract bits as I go, depending on weather, energy, unexpected stuff... But my accommodation for all 9 nights is all booked and planned.

Plan so far is:
    Day 1. AKL/CHC flight. Sort out bike rental and luggage etc. Ride to Pleasant Valley BnB (near Geraldine).
    Day 2: Pleasant Valley to Kingston BnB (near Queenstown, south end of Lake Wakatipu) via Tekapo.
    Day 3: Options: Either Kingston to Milford sound and back, or Kingston to Glenorchy and back, or just potter around Queenstown. Night at Kingston BnB again.
    Day 4: Kingston to Fox Glacier BnB via Devil's Staircase Lookout Point, Crown Range Summit, Cardrona Hotel, Lake Hawea Lookout, Salmon Farm Café, Lake Matheson, etc.
    Day 5: Fox Glacier to Cape Foulwind BnB via Franz Josef Glacier, Punakaiki pancake rocks, blowholes, Seal colony Tauranga Bay, etc.
    Day 6: Cape Foulwind up to Karamea then back to Inangahua Junction area BnB via Denniston "experience"
    Day 7: Inangahua Juntion to Waiau Motorcamp via Maruia falls, Maruia hot springs possibly, or Hanmer Springs. (Not sure whether to go the Upper gorge (SH6, SH65) or Reefton way (SH69, Reefton, SH7) on this leg.)
    Day 8: Waiau to Goose Bay, to stay with relatives (near Kaikoura).
    Day 9: Goose Bay to Kaiapoi, to stay with friends.
    Day 10: Spend time with my friends at Kaiapoi, head in to CHC, Return rental bike, sort out luggage, CHC/AKL return flight.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    you are going at the absolute peak of the season,accomodation at some of those places will be booked i reckon.Can you reschedule for when school is back?

Bike
    2023 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    you are going at the absolute peak of the season,accomodation at some of those places will be booked i reckon.Can you reschedule for when school is back?
    Nah, the R1200GS is all booked and paid for. Flights reserved and paid for too. But it’s all good; I’ve got my accomodation all locked in, booked and paid for via airbnb. I went for 19-28 January in the end. Should be a good trip; I can’t wait!

ps, I like your bike. A real classic now, the R100GSPD. I imagine a bike like that is just appreciating rather than depreciating? Do you have a YouTube channel?

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by samgab View Post
    Nah, the R1200GS is all booked and paid for. Flights reserved and paid for too. But it’s all good; I’ve got my accomodation all locked in, booked and paid for via airbnb. I went for 19-28 January in the end. Should be a good trip; I can’t wait!

ps, I like your bike. A real classic now, the R100GSPD. I imagine a bike like that is just appreciating rather than depreciating? Do you have a YouTube channel?
    gspd gone i could not soleve a wind noise problem i tried everything was a real pain .Dont know about appreciating yet but they probabaly fetch more than they should.They are an interesting machine.They ride much much nicer than they look like the do

Thread Information