Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fell Off. A stationary bike. Which was on its side stand...

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600

eek Fell Off. A stationary bike. Which was on its side stand...

Like the title says, I fell off a stationary bike that was on the side stand. Without the engine even running. How stupid is that?

Simple enough. As I stepped off, I caught my foot on the tail bag. Which unbalanced me and I fell backwards onto the asphalt footpath. I guess, like Ian Botham, I didn't quite get me leg over...

I thought "Oh damn, I'll just roll." (Again.)

Not this time. The foot catch rotated my alignment to the ground so that I fell flat onto the lower back. There was a moment of absolute stunned silence whilst I listened to all the internal body sirens wailing. Thought "This is not going to be good."

Two minutes of lying there I decided I had to stand up. Dragged over to the fence and used it to hoist upright again. Some very serious pain going on at the time.

Well a week later an x-ray showed a compression fracture of the L4 vertebra. Which is why I am still unable to do most anything. Wondered why the pain was not going away. A week of ideal riding weather and I'm stuck with a busted arse.

I just bet ACC will use this to rant on about motorbikes again. Even though the bike itself wasn't really involved.

Moral of the story: If you're gunna get your leg over, make sure you DO it.

Not a happy camper right now.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    bandit
    Bugga - hope you get well soon

I ripped my left hamstring NOT falling off. I stopped put my feet out and the bike kept going over. I held it up - at the expense of a lot of pain .
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    1994 Kawasaki EL250
    Blog Entries
    I've also done this... Tried to start the bike, it was in 1st gear, parked it that way on a slight slope.
    Thought I was being cool, nope, bike fell and left me with a couple of tibial plateau fractures!
    All good now, but I got a very serious ribbing from my fellow bikers about making sure I was in neutral!
    Distributor of Uncle Garrys cushions for Uncle Flips Kickers (or should that be knickers?!?)

Cleverly disguised as an adult! D.N.B.W and newly est Grease Monkey

Bike
    S1000RR
    Been there, done that Was trying to lift the bike on rear wheel lift stand. Right side hook wasn't properly "hooked" on

Hope you heal well!

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Ouch - sympathies.

I dropped my bike onto my car the other day. Rode to work and parked in the drive, few minutes later realised it had started to rain - putting the bike in the garage on its paddock stand and as I pressed down on the paddock stand my left hand slipped onthe wet seat and ooooover she goes. I whimpered like a little girl and strained all my arm trying to not have it plummet. Bike is fine but the car is a bit (more) secondhand.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Ouch - sympathies.

I dropped my bike onto my car the other day. Rode to work and parked in the drive, few minutes later realised it had started to rain - putting the bike in the garage on its paddock stand and as I pressed down on the paddock stand my left hand slipped onthe wet seat and ooooover she goes. I whimpered like a little girl and strained all my arm trying to not have it plummet. Bike is fine but the car is a bit (more) secondhand.
    In my case, the friggin' bike stayed upright. I'm sure I heard the damn thing snigger...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    HAHAHAHAHahahaha ha ah ah .....

hmmmm

actually, that reminds me of the first time I rode a 10 speed with clip-on shoe things. Everything was going sweet and I was looking super fit and cool and fast. Then I stopped for a couple of choice looking chicks to cross on a pedestrian crossing... actually do I have to finish this? It's still a bit embarrassing...

Or the time I was sitting on a bike in the garage checking the straightness of the crash bars I was making and hopped off forgetting that I had automatically flicked the stand up
    Or the time I forgot to put the sidestand up leaving a carpark and plowed into the curb on the first left-hander and bent the forks

Or that other time when...

Anyway you get the idea. I hope your recovery is quicker than predictions, and you get rid of that bloody tailbag!
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    less than I used to have
    My fucked knee has given out twice, ending up with the Sportster on it's side...once at a Bunnings carpark and I shit you not, two old ladies helped me get out from under the bike...one had a walker frame...the other time was getting through our garden and I just had to lay there 'til someone came home and unpinned my leg from under it and the brick it was jammed between...it's a cunt getting older, crook and spent...

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Some years ago was stopped at traffic lights red one day on way home from toil. A few cars in front and many approaching from behind it was 5 PM in sunny Invercargill. As you can imagine the traffic rush is horrendous for 5 1/2 minutes at that time. Anyway this day it was piscing down with rain (very unusual) and I thoughtfully had my wet gear on. As I put my right leg down to terra firma the leggings bottom of leg caught onto the footrest causing an unbalance, and I and bike hit the tarmacadam...plop! at 0 kph.
    So the lights change and the traffic carries on in front, those behind just drive around me (good one NCGAF) as I struggle with up righting said self from under the 900cc Hilda lump, then the bike which with brute force and a bit of adrenilin chucked in managed to get it back up. Cars continue to drive around as if I'm a problem (how do they know this) as I sort the fuel cut out situation from behind fogged up helmet.
    Major Damage; ego.
    Minor Damage; Few light bruises and smashed indicatorator which I did not mind as it saved the tank from a nasty dent.

I have since tossed those loose leg leggings, fitted crash bars which were tested in another topple which you probably don't want to know about as it was when a group ride was taking off and where instead of the usual considerate leaving in an orderly fashion one at a time, some had jumped ahead and caught me unawares as I was leaving from front of line and had to avoid in doing so dumped the bike at speed approaching 1 kPH (tank saved again bars paid for themselves), thought not!; and taken the scenic open road route home and avoid the city and tin tops and live the dream
    Last edited by granstar; 29th November 2017 at 16:30. Reason: I cunt spell for shitte
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Like the title says, I fell off a stationary bike that was on the side stand. Without the engine even running. How stupid is that?
    Ouch!

Won't comment on your stupidity...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    Gutted mate, I cham dissmounts all the time when my mind is on other things -- hope you recover well and the bike not damaged

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    in another topple which you probably don't want to know about as it was when a group ride was taking off and where instead of the usual considerate leaving in an orderly fashion one at a time, some had jumped ahead and caught me unawares as I was leaving from front of line and had to avoid in doing so dumped the bike at speed approaching 1 kPH (tank saved again bars paid for themselves), thought not!; and taken the scenic open road route home and avoid the city and tin tops and live the dream
    Cassina is right: clearly it was the pressure to keep up(right) that caused the danger.

Oh yeah - I once rode away (for 3/4 of a wheel revolution) with a disc lock attached..... a dayglo yellow disc lock. with a lanyard.

Oh, and this one time I was on a borrowed DT400 and tried to do a wheelie to impress some girls. Not only were they not impressed, they didnt stop to check when I flipped it and landed on my arse and slid along for a while. two weeks wages of dameage to the bike.

Fuck I'm dumb.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiPhoenix View Post
    I've also done this... Tried to start the bike, it was in 1st gear, parked it that way on a slight slope.
    Thought I was being cool, nope, bike fell and left me with a couple of tibial plateau fractures!
    All good now, but I got a very serious ribbing from my fellow bikers about making sure I was in neutral!
    or just get in the habit of pulling the clutch lever in every time you start your bike, a habit i learned as a young fella a couple of yr ago when working on dairy farms before quads were invented.
    i still do it

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    fitted crash bars which were tested in another topple which you probably don't want to know about as it was when a group ride was taking off and where instead of the usual considerate leaving in an orderly fashion one at a time, some had jumped ahead and caught me unawares as I was leaving from front of line and had to avoid in doing so dumped the bike at speed approaching 1 kPH (tank saved again bars paid for themselves), thought not!; and taken the scenic open road route home and avoid the city and tin tops and live the dream
    yup remember that well, watched it all happen in slow motion.
    slow speed topple for me with wife on back heading off to pop her cherry (first motorcycle rally, get ya minds out of the gutter you dirty bikers),
    ZZR all loaded up with gear and missus on back leaving the tea rooms at south end of balclutha (those that know it may understand) i had parked in their little carpark and pulling out from there can be dicey when there are remurera tractors parked in front, rather steep camber on the road and creeping out slowly trying to see past vehicles while looking right and turning left and lost balance and over the whole lot went, wifes foot caught under bike, needless to say her first rally experience was spent hobbling around. mind you she did get invited to join in a group that was getting rather fresh around what was left of the bonfire at 5.00am on sunday morning. some people get all the luck

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    As I stepped off, I caught my foot on the tail bag. Which unbalanced me and I fell backwards
    Bugger!!

saw an almost identical thing happen at the 89 Brass Monkey.....bloke on a goldwing swanning around the site spotted a couple of mates, stopped went to hop off and caught his foot on the pillion armrest thingy then proceeded to do spectacular form of wrestling with the bike and ended up half under it and as it fell on the downward side of a slight slope was well stuck and it took 4 more people to lift the bike off him

Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Been there, done that Was trying to lift the bike on rear wheel lift stand. Right side hook wasn't properly "hooked" on
    Try working on a bike that slips off the stand whilst you're buried in it and ends up clamping down on your arm as it falls on it's side was like being grabbed by a wrestler in a full nelson hold & you're trying to tap-out on the ropes

Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    or just get in the habit of pulling the clutch lever in every time you start your bike, a habit i learned as a young fella a couple of yr ago when working on dairy farms before quads were invented.
    i still do it
    And current import dairy farm workers think clutch locks are great things....funny they keep burning out clutch packs had one rather large farm with a fleet of KL stockmans do a multitude of packs in one season we didn't mind but when we informed the farm manager of what was causing it he wasn't a happy camper

Personal experience of arsing off bikes at near stationary was having a mate on his Pantah decide he wasn't able to get in a small side gate that we always used and he backed back into me, I went to paddle my way back out his road & went to put my left hoof down and just went clear into the gutter totally off balance and ended up on the side of Porthills Rd 230kgs+ of XJ750 lying on top of me

Thread Information